Who remembers being caned at school?

At All Saints Juniors kids often got the ruler across the back of the knees by Miss Sails. I got it for messy writing, and being left handed!! She said that being left handed made my writing messy and tried forcing me to use my other hand - til my mum paid her a visit. (the second in 2 weeks as it happens)

I also had chalk and the blackboard rubber thrown at the back of my head. They hit the back of my head because I was turning round talking to my mate behind me. Serves me right on those occasions. You could even get a clip from the local policeman in those days.

Even then, I do believe punishment should be harsher in schools. It didn't really do us any harm, and we have more respect for people and property than a lot of youths today. If parents won't correct their children, and schools are unable to, how will they ever learn that some behaviour is unacceptable?

Sally Sails gave me the ruler for dropping my pencil. Stood me in good stead for later when I faced the stick from Mr. Hall!

I think the math teacher with the bottle bottom glasses was Mr Pemberton .He used to put your name in his `little Black Book` for any mis demeanours. Three entries and you got a detention.No physical punishment.He was a good teacher who loved maths.He taught the top 4th and 5th year classes.Mr Morgan was the P.E. teacher as well as doing some other subject I can`t remember what with the younger pupils. Rough Reeman once ordered me to leave morning assembly and go to his office. He followed me and gave me two strokes of the cane.He sent me back into assembly and he resumed his conducting of it.I got no explanation of the reason for the punishment.None of my friends could understand what it was for.You just didn`t ask questions about punishment in those days unless you wanted it doubled.Mr Worral, the woodwork teacher, used a length of 2x2in instead of a cane.

music teacher was miss wilkinson what was the french teachers name ?

went to meynell seem to remember getn caned quite a bit but made sure i didnt get caned by mr fleming other teachers i remember were fairhurst williams bunting halliday knowles salt miss robinson headmaster mr hemmings

Name and shame Zakes hopefully some member of their families will perhaps

see it, and realise what sadistic B's they were.

music teacher was miss wilkinson what was the french teachers name ?

When I was there the music teacher was Miss Hopwood who I was told lived with the senior English teacher Miss Baxter.The junior French teacher was Miss Byard.I can`t recall at this time the name of senior teacher He also looked after the senior football team.

I got caned while at Ecclesfield Juniors as several of us were throwing snowballs at the headmasters office window :D

Just a couple of whacks across our freezing cold hands :rolleyes:

While at Colley a certain Mr Seamore took his cane out from a rack .. whacked it down on his desk and told me "unfortunately I'm no longer allowed to use this" and he gave me detention instead,

Mind you if he'd have caned me I was ready to throw him out the window ;)

JJ..:)

i remember it well mrs scott the most evil person ever to walk on this earth i was six years old and evey time the bitch walked pass my desk down came a wooden ruler on my knuckels for nothing; months she did this .she started me biting my nails i was with drawn i lived in fear every day of going to school .untill finaly my mother knew something wasnt right with me .i finaly told her she went and got it sorted.her excuse was she dosent listen . hard to do when shes sat at the back of the class room and shes partly deft . the ****ing ******* but she was told by head teacher i need to be near front so i can hear her or if didnt hear her i could lip read what i didnt catch with my ears .i hope she rots in hell

Part 2

I have said before that most of my teachers were good reasonable people. But some were not! I assume some of you will have been targeted by bullying teachers during your schooling and you will have been in fear. For this reason I don't claim to be a special case but nonetheless I would like to relate to you my own experiences with such types. The three main antagonists were.

Mr Williams - Birley Spa Junior School

Mr Kirk - Carter Lodge Secondary School

Mr Lines - Birley Secondary School.

Part 1 - Mr Williams

Physical

One day Mr Williams came out of a classroom and caught three of us in the corridor playing football and gave us a telling off then sent the other two packing and took me into the classroom and gave me a short but loud lecture about disobedience then bent me over a desk and proceeded to slap my bare legs (I wore short trousers in those days) really hard. It didn't stop after a few slaps but went on for ages and I was screaming out with pain with tears streaming down my face. When he had finished he shouted for me to get out and "walk don't run". That was my first physical puishment from him. Later at home I told me mother what had happened and she said ''That's what you get when you don't behave". To say I was disappointed with her response is a big understatement. Some weeks later I received from Mr Williams a similar punishment this time for whispering in class. I got the same response as last time from me mother when I complained and that's when I lost faith and knew I was all on my own against this monster of a teacher with nobody to turn to. My dad was a dead loss too. I won't go into detail about the occasion when he hit me with a rounder bat save to say it left a nasty looking bruise on the left side of my back. I always kept my back covered until the bruise had disappeared because I felt nobody would believe if I told them about it. I wasn't the only one to be mistreated by him.

Psychological.

During arts and craft's lessons I made a train engine from a cereal box, toilet roll card, other bits, glue and papier mache and I was so proud and surprised that at last I had made something really nice and thought that it would get me into Mr Williams' good books. Well, how wrong can one be? A few days later when us children were leaving class he called for me to stay behind. When the door was closed he went on a loud rant about me being disobedient (I hadn't been) and that I was a horrible child then he picked up the train engine I was so proud of and started to bash it against a desk until it was completely destroyed all the time shouting at me and I was standing in front of him with my arms by my side with head bowed and shaking like a leaf in a stiff breeze whimpering with a mewl. After this incident I didn't receive many more rants and physical punishments from him because he had changed his tactics to refusing to look or speak to me in class but when in the corridor he would stare at me in an intimidating menacing way.

Coming home in the evening from playing out I knew it would soon be bedtime and that meant the next day I would be facing Mr Williams and that caused me to have many sleepless nights. It got to the stage when I would feign illness and told mum I didn't feel well enough to go to school, but she wasn't having any of it. Those long fearsome days came to an end eventually and I was relieved to know I would be going to the big boys school never to see Mr Williams again.

Everything you have read is fact and it all seems like yesterday (one of the problems of having a long memory). This all happened between 45-49 years ago and you are the first persons to know the full details of this. It's been bottled up inside me all this time.

Zakes.

Did u not return with a few 'friends' after u had left the school and sort the b***ard out?I would have done.Your story has made me feel really angry.

Teachers had several weapons to hand when I was at school. There was the bamboo cane, plimsolls, rulers (for rapping the knuckles) and ping pong table tennis bats.

I got belted around the ear from behind once

Some of them seemed to enjoy disihing it out too

I got caned in front of assembly by headteacher and then when i got back to my class the teacher canned me again[Prince Edwards Manor Top] All i had done was set a banger of in the library real mardy arses them teachers where.

went to upperthorpe first encounter was with old man Inman his method was a slipper; you would bend over at on end of the room and he would tap on the radiator with the slipper and run across the room and wack you on the backside.The head Mr Causey loved the cane; it was said it contained lead in one end and yes it did smart.Jim Vickers a considerate woodwork teacher let me go to the bogs for a crafty fag and then gave me the stick for the honour of the privelige.The final occurrence was with who i regarded as an absolute bully that keep fit fanatic Burton he used to take some into the cloakroom and give them a thump or two, my punishment i got the stick he missed his mark and caned me across the wrist calling him a four eyed B******d i was of home nursing a swollen wrist.Had a three week holiday until the old man was ready to go and see the Head teacher.Thank you for your due punishment all concerned

Part 3 - Mr. Kirk.

This teacher was not as bad as Mr Williams at Birley Spa Juniors but nevertheless I didn't like him, feelings mutual then! We children were tenderfoot's at Carter Lodge Secondary School when we first came across the grey haired Mr. Kirk, the one with the thrupenny bit shaped silver framed specs. During our first P.E. lesson one of the things we were to do was a handstand with feet touching the wall bars. Those of us who couldn't get up were helped by Mr. Kirk by lifting our feet up sharply to touch the wall bars followed by a quick and painful slap at the back of each leg. This happened over several painful P.E. lessons but I had been practising at home in my bedroom and so exempting myself from further pain. Mr Kirk liked sending us lads out on cross country runs usually down Drakehouse which I didn't mind because I was quite good at running but some of the other boys weren't and Mr Kirk always pushed them to the limit and I felt right sorry for them.

One other time I was playing football for my house team Pegasus against Griffin and we were attacking and the water ladened case ball came over from the left wing and I had the simple task to nod the ball into the net but at the last second I decided not to be a hero and have my head taken off by the wet 'cannonball' so I pulled my head back in at the last moment and the ball went out for a goal kick. After the game was over Mr Kirk came over to me and with hard glaring eyes told me I had missed a sitter and I agreed and he was stunned by my retort and when he recovered he shouted that I wouldn't be playing again for my house team or for the school team for that matter. After a half year my family flitted (and I went with them), so it was goodbye to Hackenthorpe and Mr Kirk and hello to Birley and Mr Lines......Oh dear, out of the pan and into the fire.