Who remembers being caned at school?

Yes I got caned at Philadephia school for a messy English book,

the teacher in question was Mrs Burkes.

It turned out the book belonged to someone with the first name as me so she took me to her cuboard and gave me a jelly baby. Wow.

That didn't stop the hurt on my hand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Who remembers being caned at school?

Part 2

I have said before that most of my teachers were good reasonable people. But some were not! I assume some of you will have been targeted by bullying teachers during your schooling and you will have been in fear. For this reason I don't claim to be a special case but nonetheless I would like to relate to you my own experiences with such types. The three main antagonists were.

Mr Williams - Birley Spa Junior School

Mr Kirk - Carter Lodge Secondary School

Mr Lines - Birley Secondary School.

Part 1 - Mr Williams

Physical

One day Mr Williams came out of a classroom and caught three of us in the corridor playing football and gave us a telling off then sent the other two packing and took me into the classroom and gave me a short but loud lecture about disobedience then bent me over a desk and proceeded to slap my bare legs (I wore short trousers in those days) really hard. It didn't stop after a few slaps but went on for ages and I was screaming out with pain with tears streaming down my face. When he had finished he shouted for me to get out and "walk don't run". That was my first physical puishment from him. Later at home I told me mother what had happened and she said ''That's what you get when you don't behave". To say I was disappointed with her response is a big understatement. Some weeks later I received from Mr Williams a similar punishment this time for whispering in class. I got the same response as last time from me mother when I complained and that's when I lost faith and knew I was all on my own against this monster of a teacher with nobody to turn to. My dad was a dead loss too. I won't go into detail about the occasion when he hit me with a rounder bat save to say it left a nasty looking bruise on the left side of my back. I always kept my back covered until the bruise had disappeared because I felt nobody would believe if I told them about it. I wasn't the only one to be mistreated by him.

Psychological.

During arts and craft's lessons I made a train engine from a cereal box, toilet roll card, other bits, glue and papier mache and I was so proud and surprised that at last I had made something really nice and thought that it would get me into Mr Williams' good books. Well, how wrong can one be? A few days later when us children were leaving class he called for me to stay behind. When the door was closed he went on a loud rant about me being disobedient (I hadn't been) and that I was a horrible child then he picked up the train engine I was so proud of and started to bash it against a desk until it was completely destroyed all the time shouting at me and I was standing in front of him with my arms by my side with head bowed and shaking like a leaf in a stiff breeze whimpering with a mewl. After this incident I didn't receive many more rants and physical punishments from him because he had changed his tactics to refusing to look or speak to me in class but when in the corridor he would stare at me in an intimidating menacing way.

Coming home in the evening from playing out I knew it would soon be bedtime and that meant the next day I would be facing Mr Williams and that caused me to have many sleepless nights. It got to the stage when I would feign illness and told mum I didn't feel well enough to go to school, but she wasn't having any of it. Those long fearsome days came to an end eventually and I was relieved to know I would be going to the big boys school never to see Mr Williams again.

Everything you have read is fact and it all seems like yesterday (one of the problems of having a long memory). This all happened between 45-49 years ago and you are the first persons to know the full details of this. It's been bottled up inside me all this time.

Zakes.

Mid sixties Hinde House Comprehensive, got three of the best for going on the stage in the main hall. I was only acting out alas poor yorick. It was the beginning of my claim to fame cus my mother was none too pleased with the 3 whelts I had on each arse cheek. She made a right old fuss and a picture of my arse ended up on scene at six thirty ( like calendar on yorkshire tv) . That was my one and only appearance on telly fortunatley they captured my best side admirabley.

Regular canings for me throughout my schooling (1955-1967) for things such as lost homework, shoddy uniform, wrong PE kit, not bringing shoes having travelled to school in wellies, no pencil, forgetting text book, having hands in pockets, not having something my parents should have bought me, coughing/sneezing/scratching after being told not to, and other assorted crimes.

Best days of our lives?

Cobblers!!

Mid sixties Hinde House Comprehensive, got three of the best for going on the stage in the main hall. I was only acting out alas poor yorick. It was the beginning of my claim to fame cus my mother was none too pleased with the 3 whelts I had on each arse cheek. She made a right old fuss and a picture of my arse ended up on scene at six thirty ( like calendar on yorkshire tv) . That was my one and only appearance on telly fortunatley they captured my best side admirabley.

Sounds like Derlwyn at his best.

Boardrubbers chalk sticks were thrown at you or you were sent to see the headmaster for 6 of the best Durring the winter when the heating was on i would keep my hands on the pipes untill they were red then return to class show my hands to teacher & return to my seat

In the 40's at Greystones Inter. we had some odd puddings at lunch. One was prunes followed by horrid pink semolina. After the prunes while waiting for the semolina we were hitting the prunestones wth the spoon which shot across to whoever was sat opposite. We were dragged out by the head, Rough Reeman & given 6 of the best. On returning to our seats the lad opposite who was very small & thin went white as a sheet & fainted face down into his semolina. Rough Reeman then clouted me around the head as though it was my fault! We also had a pop eyed maths teacher with bottle bottom glasses who caned a lad so hard he couldnt stop crying. He took him outside, gave him half a crown & sent him home. Happy days.

was the teacher called mr morgan & the woodwork teacher callled mr worral i remember going round to the back door & pinching the some of treacle tart the cooks had put back to take home