Who remembers being caned at school?

At All Saints Juniors kids often got the ruler across the back of the knees by Miss Sails. I got it for messy writing, and being left handed!! She said that being left handed made my writing messy and tried forcing me to use my other hand - til my mum paid her a visit. (the second in 2 weeks as it happens)

I also had chalk and the blackboard rubber thrown at the back of my head. They hit the back of my head because I was turning round talking to my mate behind me. Serves me right on those occasions. You could even get a clip from the local policeman in those days.

Even then, I do believe punishment should be harsher in schools. It didn't really do us any harm, and we have more respect for people and property than a lot of youths today. If parents won't correct their children, and schools are unable to, how will they ever learn that some behaviour is unacceptable?

I didn't get the cane being as I was a good boy (or never got caught, can't remember which now) but our lass talks about a maths teacher who used to throw the board rubber in her direction a fair bit. She doesn't grumble too much about it as she passed her maths o level after a year in his class having been told by another teacher she would be lucky to pass a CSE.

I was caned in front of the whole school at assembly, amongst several others, for ditching our homework. Discrimination crept in even in those years (middle 50's) as the girl offenders were given a verbal warning. The school was Owler Lane and the "Caner" was Albert Lupton, an ex Royal Marine PTI. Any forumers remember him??

old man lupton.......he was also head at southey green,twice i believe,yeh,i remember him,looked a bit like bruce forsyth before brucie had his hair weave.

At Marlcliffe in the mid 50's,Pop Reylolds used to cane the boys.The other teachers had various methods of punishment.Ron Harrington[woodwork] had a large slipper,others had half metre rulers.It did me no harm.Bring it back

harrigton came to chaucer,he was so paranoid about being poisoned,he wouldn,t drink tea in the staff room,but would bring a flask.