Ignorant Drivers on snake pass

Good on you James, although I wouldn't expect any less of you TBH.

As for the 'wheel change in the test', the theory might be taught, but I know that my Mum or Dad, and many people that I know (coincidently female or old) wouldn't be able to change one.

The fact that this was in broad daylight, and the road is a busy one, (so the dangers of stopping I would guess are almost zero), if she really tried for half an hour to flag someone down, it's shameful that no one did.

I very rarely have to drive over the Snake, but I'd like to think I'd have stopped to help her.

I haven't got a clue how to change a tyre (I've only been driving for 17 years!) but I'd probably have tried to call the AA (depending on phone signal, obviously) or called the police when I reached somewhere I could get a signal. Or perhaps given her a lift to the Snake Pass Inn, (especially if she was fit ;))

It just isn't dangerous, simple as. The chances of breaking down are remote and the chances of an accident are too, but if you come upon an incident you should stop and help. I believe that in France it is a criminal offence to not help people (unless they are English of course). It's just common courtesy.

Always been a bit suspicious of the bold and the brave! :suspect:

Really. That's your loss then.

I don't know if I would have stopped or not to be honest... without seeing the individual situation it's hard to judge. However, a few months back, we were sent an email at work (from management) telling us that SY Police had issued a warning about a gang that were preying on people on the Snake Pass... A woman, apparently in difficulty, would try to flag you down, and all of a sudden other people would appear and rob you, or in some cases forcibly take your car. In my company there are frequent visits by staff across the Snake, and it's a large employer anyway so statistically there would be staff using that road at some point.

As I said, it's hard to say you would or or would not stop without seeing the situation first hand, but I do know that the warning we'd been sent would have crossed my mind before I did stop.

It's a sad indictment of todays society that we have to realistically consider this sort of thing before we do help another human being out - but it's true, we DO have to consider it. Naturally there will have been some folk driving past who wouldn't even help their own mother across the road - but that's just life.

Probably the simplest, 'safest' thing to do would be let the authorities know as soon as you had got to a phone reception area yourself...

it would be good to be shown how to change a wheel as a learner, you have to point to where the oil goes and water etc so im sure it wouldnt be to difficult, i dont know what the stats are for punctures or blow outs but im sure it happens alot, made worse by there being no signal as i discovered last year after an accident, fortunatly the police helped out as they were in attendance for a different incident.

Also, we dont know that the police were'nt inundated by worried motorists informing them of a stranded lady on the snake pass, the police might have been on their way? just a thought.

well personally, theres only me and my little one, but even if id have seen this the least i would have done is lock the car doors, put the window down a little to speak to her and took a telephone number and phoned someone for her. Mum and dad was once driving over snake in horrendous weather conditions late at night and saw a cars hazzards on, a middle aged man and woman were sat inside, they didnt have a phone and the engine had packed up, so there was no heating. Dad got them in the back of his car, left his engine running to keep the heat coming through, whilst phoning someone for them, he sat with them until the rac arrived. The man offered dad money but dad refused, so he sent dad a thankyou card with a £20 note in it, he was a very grateful doctor heading home with his wife:thumbsup:

it would be good to be shown how to change a wheel as a learner.

I agree this might be useful, although to be honest - as I discovered having to change my first one ever the other week - it's not that hard a concept (unscrew, replace wheel, screw up). The problem comes if the nuts are too tight. I've luckily been going to the gym more recently so I was actually able to get the damn nuts to come loose, but god knows how someone with less strength might manage it.

Then you've got to put the spare on and screw the nuts back up again. I guess you have to put a fair bit of effort into that, otherwise you're wheel will fall off ;)

You wrote: "Don't forget there are some of us, over a certain age...etc". I know nothing about you it's true; but in my understanding of English that statement includes yourself amongst the old-to-the-point-of-decrepit. My "reasoning" consists of reading what you wrote.

My post was pointing out, to the OP, that, for a fairly large proportion of the populace, stopping would be either pointless as they can't assist, or possibly unwise as they fall into the categories of genuine targets for villainy:- vulnerable looking.

Anyway: the actual statistically probable hazard is causing or suffering a RTA whilst stopping, re-starting, or whilst parked and assisting. The chance of assault or robbery is negligible.

Old-to-the-point-of-decrepit is your understanding of English,for when people are of a certain age.

A certain age could also mean 'experienced' old enough to have experienced

attacks /assaults. I have experience some ,not the exact one in this scenario but any sensible person having been bitten once...

By the way its up to you but elderly people might take offence at such a phrase.