Ignorant Drivers on snake pass

I've often wondered why out of all the places, the top of the Snake doesn't have a mobile phone mast as just where you might need it there is no signal. My in-laws once had to walk to the Snake Pass inn after a breakdown up there.

OK, you can say all you like about keeping it a natural wilderness, but it would be great for safety and in any case it's hardly natural having a tarmac ribbon laid across it.

It amazes me also that there isn't a shopping centre and an airport up there, given its proximity to Manchester and Sheffield the commercial potential must be huge.

so a woman crying in broad daylight with her car on hazard lights waving like mad for someone to stop is a 'can of worms'? God help us all if people think like that. Just shows how paranoid society has become. :loopy:

It sure does, I can't believe that people can make these excuses for not helping, it's pathetic. If they are so paranoid they could have locked their doors, stopped and opened their window a little at first to assess things. These are the sort of people who think that moving out of the way of a speeding ambulance is an act of charity and clears their consciences.

So everyone is therefore left to their own devices because there a trillion to one risk of that happening?

Roadside helper stabbed by driver

It's an old story but the first one that came up on Google, I'm sure there are more recent ones.

Slightly different story though. The OP states that the female was clearly distressed. This was a male waiting in his car.

The very same thing happened to me a couple of years ago on snake pass. My tyre went and I lost control of the car. When I managed to regain control and got out. The tyre was ripped to shreds. No way I could have calmly changed my tyre and gone on my way. It was a very frightening experience. Several cars drove past me while I was trying to flag for help. One very kind gentleman eventually stopped and whilst he couldn't even change the tyre, he calmed me down and rationalised the situation for me. Had it not been for him, I don't know what I woud have done next.

How would you feel if your wife/girlfriend/mother was stranded and no-one stopped to help?

Your username seems very appropriate here.

so a woman crying in broad daylight with her car on hazard lights waving like mad for someone to stop is a 'can of worms'? God help us all if people think like that. Just shows how paranoid society has become. :loopy:

You can say it as many times as you like but this world is a dangrous place.

You do put youself at risk in such situations.

When I was younger, as was the world people did stop and help. You know that unfortunately the world has changed, people are far more wary of the type of situation you described. It is sad but it is a fact.

"God help us all "you say " paranoid" you say well I think you are right possibly are more paranoid, but many have good reason to be so.

You can say it as many times as you like but this world is a dangrous place.

No it isn't, it's exaggerated, how many times do you read of anyone getting tricked in this way compared with those who come to harm in road accidents. It's just a cop out for selfish cowards.

Just another example of people in their bubbles, the chances of it being a set up are very slim and like an earlier poster says "lock the doors, wind the window down" - and at least talk to the lady. And besides you never know who you might meet in these situations. There is a story somewhere and I can't find it but it's somthing like this. A guy stops to help a driver with his broken down limo, the limo driver notes his details. A week later this guy gets a cheque for $10,000 and a personal thank you from the limo passenger, Donald Trump.

Ok chances of this happening are slim, but chances of feeling very pleased with yourself after helping snake pass damsel in distress are very high.

Slightly different story though. The OP states that the female was clearly distressed. This was a male waiting in his car.

The very same thing happened to me a couple of years ago on snake pass. My tyre went and I lost control of the car. When I managed to regain control and got out. The tyre was ripped to shreds. No way I could have calmly changed my tyre and gone on my way. It was a very frightening experience. Several cars drove past me while I was trying to flag for help. One very kind gentleman eventually stopped and whilst he couldn't even change the tyre, he calmed me down and rationalised the situation for me. Had it not been for him, I don't know what I woud have done next.

How would you feel if your wife/girlfriend/mother was stranded and no-one stopped to help?

Your username seems very appropriate here.

Just because someone appears distressed doesn't mean they are and doesn't mean there isn't someone else there unseen from the road. To be honest my Girlfriend wouldn't be driving on her own late at night on a road like that. If the journey was unavoidable a safer router would be taken. You could get stranded on Snake Pass very easily and not be found until someone came looking.

Just because someone appears distressed doesn't mean they are and doesn't mean there isn't someone else there unseen from the road. To be honest my Girlfriend wouldn't be driving on her own late at night on a road like that. If the journey was unavoidable a safer router would be taken. You could get stranded on Snake Pass very easily and not be found until someone came looking.
I bet the girls would all love to have someone as gallant as you Cynic. Does she let you out late at night, since most "incidents" happen males? :huh:

How ridiculous! Cynic, do you also wrap yourself up in cotton wool or bubble wrap to try and avoid any kind of injury? In fact, do you leave the house much at all or allow your family to just in case there is the chance of something untoward happening around them :?: