Ignorant Drivers on snake pass

Just another example of people in their bubbles, the chances of it being a set up are very slim and like an earlier poster says "lock the doors, wind the window down" - and at least talk to the lady. And besides you never know who you might meet in these situations. There is a story somewhere and I can't find it but it's somthing like this. A guy stops to help a driver with his broken down limo, the limo driver notes his details. A week later this guy gets a cheque for $10,000 and a personal thank you from the limo passenger, Donald Trump.

Ok chances of this happening are slim, but chances of feeling very pleased with yourself after helping snake pass damsel in distress are very high.

Slightly different story though. The OP states that the female was clearly distressed. This was a male waiting in his car.

The very same thing happened to me a couple of years ago on snake pass. My tyre went and I lost control of the car. When I managed to regain control and got out. The tyre was ripped to shreds. No way I could have calmly changed my tyre and gone on my way. It was a very frightening experience. Several cars drove past me while I was trying to flag for help. One very kind gentleman eventually stopped and whilst he couldn't even change the tyre, he calmed me down and rationalised the situation for me. Had it not been for him, I don't know what I woud have done next.

How would you feel if your wife/girlfriend/mother was stranded and no-one stopped to help?

Your username seems very appropriate here.

Just because someone appears distressed doesn't mean they are and doesn't mean there isn't someone else there unseen from the road. To be honest my Girlfriend wouldn't be driving on her own late at night on a road like that. If the journey was unavoidable a safer router would be taken. You could get stranded on Snake Pass very easily and not be found until someone came looking.

Just because someone appears distressed doesn't mean they are and doesn't mean there isn't someone else there unseen from the road. To be honest my Girlfriend wouldn't be driving on her own late at night on a road like that. If the journey was unavoidable a safer router would be taken. You could get stranded on Snake Pass very easily and not be found until someone came looking.
I bet the girls would all love to have someone as gallant as you Cynic. Does she let you out late at night, since most "incidents" happen males? :huh:

How ridiculous! Cynic, do you also wrap yourself up in cotton wool or bubble wrap to try and avoid any kind of injury? In fact, do you leave the house much at all or allow your family to just in case there is the chance of something untoward happening around them :?:

Sorry a bit off topic but..........

the wheel nuts have been tightened too much for the brace to work them loose.

THIS CAN BE A BIG PROBLEM, usually caused by professional tyre fitter's air guns - I suggest everyone tries to undo each wheel before they are in a difficult situation - specially after new tyre fitting. Wheel trims may be difficult too!

Most jacks and wheel braces are p*ss poor. Get a socket set or similar and some extra tubing!!

Driving alone late at night on a notoriously dangerous road in bad weather isn't something I do very often, now I come to think of it. Also I didn't say I would stop my GF from doing it (did you read my post?), I meant she would have the sense not to if avoidable.

It just isn't dangerous, simple as. The chances of breaking down are remote and the chances of an accident are too, but if you come upon an incident you should stop and help. I believe that in France it is a criminal offence to not help people (unless they are English of course). It's just common courtesy.

How ridiculous! Cynic, do you also wrap yourself up in cotton wool or bubble wrap to try and avoid any kind of injury? In fact, do you leave the house much at all or allow your family to just in case there is the chance of something untoward happening around them :?:

No but why take avoidable risks. If I get someone to load a hundred guns and then point one at my head there isn't much chance of getting shot, but I have never had the urge to try it. :)

Driving alone late at night on a notoriously dangerous road in bad weather isn't something I do very often, now I come to think of it. Also I didn't say I would stop my GF from doing it (did you read my post?), I meant she would have the sense not to if avoidable.

Fact of the matter is though that this woman did take this route, for whatever reason, and did get stranded, she may not have known the road. I personally would have probably tried to find another route at that time of night, as I know the road. I used to commute to Glossop daily and it happened to me at around 9.00 am and I still had the same reaction from passing motorists and was still shaken up from the incident and was stranded.

Because it happened to her at that time I feel even more sorry for her and angry that people left her frightened at that hour, nevermind the passing motorists looking out for number 1 as is all too common these days.