Claims that a police officer hit a female in Sheffield, caught on CCTV..?

What do you think of the incident?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the incident?

• I support the police officer
    • I don't support the police officer

So the woman concerned may have behaved badly? Ok. Does that really make Ok for a policeman to punch her repeatedly when she's in no position to defend herself? If we follow that line of logic then every person who gets chucked out of a club is fair game for a good beating. Is that really what you want to see?

"DEFINATELY !!!

She did indeed lose her liberty when arrested RazorSHarp, but what has that to do with the price of fish? Are we to tolerate a situation where it becomes acceptable for the police to be able to assault detainees willy-nilly, just becuase they want to?

She's a victim because she was violently assaulted. Pretty straigtforward really.

So this perfectly legislates for her criminal behaviour beforehand? I suppose if it was your car being smashed to bits you would still have the same opinion?

Don't be such a blind liberal. As said before, the only victim in this is the poor police officer who had to nullify a violent criminal irrespective of sex with appropriate action...and he did.

What would you do if a wild drunk was resisting arrest whilst trying to remove your manhood?

In the video footage the girl is lying face down on the floor while she is being punched and not in a position do do very much about the officer's 'manhood'.

There are also two other officers and two 'bouncers' helping to restrain her.

the police are trained to use whatever reasonalble force is nessecary to resolve the situation, in the officers opinion i would think that if she was resisting arrest and trying to grab his testicles he considered it reasonable to punch her in the arm, he could have also used his cs gas or baton.

all his evidence will have been documented and passed to her solicitor at the time she was convicted of the criminal damage so why didnt she say anything then?

i think the officer needs congratulating for what he did and not the race card been brought out,does anybody no what race the officer is?

That's exactly what the Police were doing when they locked her up. As RazorSHarp says, she gave up her rights the instant that she chose to become a criminal.

I find that a shocking statement. There are clearly defined rights that even criminals have when arrested by the police.

That's quite a good turn of phrase, because assaulting the Police officers willy nilly appears to be exactly what she was doing to cause him to hit her arm.

I think that I also might have hit her arm a few times if she was wrenching my gonads off. What would you do?

I'd do what I was taught and restrain her in such a fashion as to make it impossible for her to assault me or my colleagues without causing her damage or assaulting her. It's perfectly possible to do so. I know, because I've done it a number of times.

Come on... you're losing this one Halibut. I've a lot of respect for your opinions but I really think you're completely wrong on this one.

Like you've been there and done that a thousand times? ;)

No, not a thousand Tony, but over the course of a twenty year career I've been involved in dozens of restraints, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'd do what I was taught and restrain her in such a fashion as to make it impossible for her to assault me or my colleagues without causing her damage or assaulting her. It's perfectly possible to do so. I know, because I've done it a number of times.

Have you done it at half past stupid o'clock in the morning with a violent drunk who has been damaging cars, then just rolled you down a metal staircase and tried to rip your gonads off? I wonder if you would be so level headed then?

That's quite a good turn of phrase, because assaulting the Police officers willy nilly appears to be exactly what she was doing to cause him to hit her arm.

I think that I also might have hit her arm a few times if she was wrenching my gonads off. What would you do?

Ah, but remember Halibut is an expert in restraining violent drunks, he uses the vulcan death grip or some such. Perhaps he should offer his services to the South Yorkshire Police and join their training staff, obviously the millions of pounds we spend training officers each year is not being correctly targetted.

I have to disagree with your second sentence if the officer had lost his temper he would not have punched her arm he would have picked another target. As for the trousers down business, the answers simple you can't kick out if your trousers are round your ankles, or walk hence you get dragged to the van.

I don't see what evidence there is that he lost his temper. He hit her a few times on the arm in order for her to move her arm off his genitalia into a position where he could cuff her. I don't care if her trousers were round her ankles as he had no dignity in the first place otherwise she wouldn't be out drinking and smashing cars.

And why does anyone care if she was black or white? She was of the class "chav" and of the sub-class "drunken violent chav", being black doesn't have any bearing.

this is nuts. :loopy:

The officer was being assaulted. Not only does he say this, the other officers on the scene coroberate his story. Are they saying that police can't defand themselves?

Sure, there are probably less brutal ways of dealing with such situations but these officers have to make split second descisions and clearly the officer made his. In my opinion he made the correct one as well. Police in this country aren't issued with Tazers. If they were, that would have been the solution ZAP! she's down. Pepper spray wouldn't have done anything, she's drunk and highly enraged. Spraying a burning chemical in her eyes is just going to anger her further.

At the end of the day the officer had to make a choice. End the situation in a crude way or be possibly seriously injured by a suspect resisting arrest.

I bet he wishes he could have ended it without all this mess but police in the UK aren't equipped to handle violent criminals. Maybe thats why I was afraid to take my phone out of my pocket while I was walking up the hill from the Ibis hotel on the weekend.

The Tazer is the perfect solution. I don't give a toss how big and strong and violent you are. If you get hit with a tazer, you will go down without a fight.