Yellow Lines in Sheffield

I certainly don't understand the system of single yellow lines any more. There was a time when a single line meant no parking during the working day. However around Trippet Lane the signs that specified the restrictions have all disappeared. One Sunday we watched the warden merrily popping tickets on a string of cars parked outside Maggie Mays that I thought were perfectly legally parked. It doesn't encourage you to come back.

IIRC, instead of having a sign next to the yellow line which says what the times are, they can have a controlled zone, which covers a larger area, with a sign as you enter the zone. So, if you cannot see a dedicated sign, it's best to assume it us because it is within a zone. How you then go about finding the entrance to the zone, I don't know.

If I cannot see a specific sign covering that section of single yellow line, then I play safe and don't park there.

If I get time, later, I'll take a look at the Sheffield.gov website, as that will probably say where the zones are. I don't know if they typically cover a few streets, or whether it is more like "anything within the ring road"

Edit. It's easy enough to find on the Sheffield.gov website, but unfortunately I've not managed to post a link, I don't know why it won't work.

It seems that there are three zones, which combine to roughly equate to the area within the ring road (but not exactly). These zones have different prices for parking. However, they have a common restriction regarding single yellow lines - 8 am to 8:30 pm, 7 days per week.

Edited by Eater Sundae

IIRC, instead of having a sign next to the yellow line which says what the times are, they can have a controlled zone, which covers a larger area, with a sign as you enter the zone. So, if you cannot see a dedicated sign, it's best to assume it us because it is within a zone. How you then go about finding the entrance to the zone, I don't know.

If I cannot see a specific sign covering that section of single yellow line, then I play safe and don't park there.

If I get time, later, I'll take a look at the Sheffield.gov website, as that will probably say where the zones are. I don't know if they typically cover a few streets, or whether it is more like "anything within the ring road"

Well you seem to be of the same opinion as me.

If you are driving into a city on a rainy evening and in the myriad of signs and unnecessary traffic lights, happen to miss a sign. you are blind to the parking restrictions.

However. If the idea of a city council is to bring prosperity to the citizens then this backfires rather badly. It means that on a Sunday when, for example, there is a food festival, great swathes of on street parking are rendered unusable. We are talking a Sunday here when there is no justification for not allowing parking on these places. This and the fact that the wardens are out dishing tickets proves that the lines have absolutely nothing to do with traffic flow, but everything to do with being another source of revenue.

Well you seem to be of the same opinion as me.

If you are driving into a city on a rainy evening and in the myriad of signs and unnecessary traffic lights, happen to miss a sign. you are blind to the parking restrictions.

However. If the idea of a city council is to bring prosperity to the citizens then this backfires rather badly. It means that on a Sunday when, for example, there is a food festival, great swathes of on street parking are rendered unusable. We are talking a Sunday here when there is no justification for not allowing parking on these places. This and the fact that the wardens are out dishing tickets proves that the lines have absolutely nothing to do with traffic flow, but everything to do with being another source of revenue.

I added a bit to my earlier post. They still charge on Sundays, a £1 charge I think, so they must be regarding Sunday as a (near) normal day.

I added a bit to my earlier post. They still charge on Sundays, a £1 charge I think, so they must be regarding Sunday as a (near) normal day.

But why not allow folk to pay £1, pop a ticket on the dash and park on single lines. It's nothing more than a revenue stream.

On a Sunday try parking to go to lunch at Fagan's. There's a private car park that charges a fortune and miles of deserted side roads with single yellow lines. You end up parked miles away up on Campo Lane some days.

Edit. It's easy enough to find on the Sheffield.gov website, but unfortunately I've not managed to post a link, I don't know why it won't work.

It seems that there are three zones, which combine to roughly equate to the area within the ring road (but not exactly). These zones have different prices for parking. However, they have a common restriction regarding single yellow lines - 8 am to 8:30 pm, 7 days per week.

Here you go;

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/city-centre/parking-zones.html

See Also;

Parkopedia

Just follow the same rules as the emergency service vehicles do on Middlewood road when they are getting takeaways in the evening, including the Police.

Park on double yellows at the bus stop - go to chinese - put blues & twos and shoot through the red lights so your grub doesn't go cold.

The two ambulance women who did this the other night nearly wrote the ambulance off swinging it round through the red lights to go down the side of netto after being in the KFC - mind you their chips are horrid cold :rolleyes:

Was that the two ambulance women that were not able to get in for a dinner break so got food in between calls?

And please inform the PCC about the cases of emergency vehicles that you know of going through red lights so their food doesn't go cold.

Edited by monkey104

So the idea to get folk into the city centre involves charging them to park on a Sunday and preventing them from parking on the 70% of roads with single lines, despite it causing no problems to traffic flow.

But why not allow folk to pay £1, pop a ticket on the dash and park on single lines. It's nothing more than a revenue stream.

On a Sunday try parking to go to lunch at Fagan's. There's a private car park that charges a fortune and miles of deserted side roads with single yellow lines. You end up parked miles away up on Campo Lane some days.

That can't be done legally. The single yellow line and its associated legal order prevent waiting. If you want to allow parking, you have to mark it out as a parking bay.

For Fagans on Sunday, park on Garden Street, Solly St, Hollis Croft area, which is outside the Controlled Zone, so you can park on the single yellows.

That can't be done legally. The single yellow line and its associated legal order prevent waiting. If you want to allow parking, you have to mark it out as a parking bay.

For Fagans on Sunday, park on Garden Street, Solly St, Hollis Croft area, which is outside the Controlled Zone, so you can park on the single yellows.

But when those places are full you can't. More bad planning I'm afraid.