Yellow Lines in Sheffield

Hi

This is inspired by one of the many parking threads.

A guy from the council, and cheers for posting on other issues :P, mentioned there are only a few traffic wardens in sheffield on another thread.

This got me thinking.

My attitude to double and single yellows is a bit lazy.

If Im picking up a take away or diving into a shop I dont have a problem - shocking and illegal as this is

In most other cities I wouldnt even pull over at the side of the road as youd get a ticket - there are loads of stories out there about funeral processions and stuff being ticketed elsewhere too.

I guess we should be lucky the council arent using yellow lines as a way of boosting revenue - in London they make squillions

So what do the rest of you think.

Are the wardens good (as in cool) up here or are they slackers and people like me are stopping ambulances etc etc etc and should be shot?

Cheers

d

The people who block a carriageway on handsworth road during the restricted times should have their cars crushed. With them inside them.

Why is it so difficult to obey parking restrictions, do peoples legs not work?

I guess we should be lucky the council arent using yellow lines as a way of boosting revenue - in London they make squillions
It's coming. You've only got to look at how anything outside of the ringroad/inner-relief road is being locked-down/made a 'residents' zone and it's not hard to see the plan.

And it seems impossible to question them. I'm still waiting for a reply to a message sent in September 2004 to the council asking how I would go about suggesting that the non-residential, amply wide, dead end that is Harrow Street could have double-yellows removed as it would provide several much-needed spaces for local businesses. Sadly, I now hear that the whole area is to be further restricted. Shame.

Just follow the same rules as the emergency service vehicles do on Middlewood road when they are getting takeaways in the evening, including the Police.

Park on double yellows at the bus stop - go to chinese - put blues & twos and shoot through the red lights so your grub doesn't go cold.

The two ambulance women who did this the other night nearly wrote the ambulance off swinging it round through the red lights to go down the side of netto after being in the KFC - mind you their chips are horrid cold :rolleyes:

Double yellow lines are usually there for a reason...therefore i don't park on them, simple as! I get so sick and annoyed with inconsiderate people parking their car where they want to, especially in my flats resident car park - residents and non residents. Idiots that park across two garages etc :roll: ...i mean why? :rant:

Double yellow lines are usually there for a reason.
Certainly used to be. Times have changed and the reason is no longer one of safe, sensible access - now double yellow lines are being painted everywhere solely as a means of extracting a further £35/year from all council-tax-paying households.

• 9 years later...

I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd put my question in this thread.

On Trickett Road in Hillsborough there is about an 8 foot stretch of double yellow lines that were there for the goods-in entrance of the Barkers furniture shop when it was there. Well the Barkers has gone and it is now houses, but the yellow lines remain. Are they going to be removed as they are no longer needed?

I waited two hours to get in a disabled space yesterday - the car had no blue badge, on returning, I asked if he had one, his reply was, I am the head adjudicator - I said I asked you a civil question - he said he had not got a badge & he walked down the side of the car -I got out & he got in his car - I was going to ask him what had entitled him to park in a disabled bay - he put the car in gear and shot off, then I was able to park.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd put my question in this thread.

On Trickett Road in Hillsborough there is about an 8 foot stretch of double yellow lines that were there for the goods-in entrance of the Barkers furniture shop when it was there. Well the Barkers has gone and it is now houses, but the yellow lines remain. Are they going to be removed as they are no longer needed?

I would suggest contacting the Council. Enclose a photo and explain the history and hopefully they will remove them.

Certainly used to be. Times have changed and the reason is no longer one of safe, sensible access - now double yellow lines are being painted everywhere solely as a means of extracting a further £35/year from all council-tax-paying households.

I certainly don't understand the system of single yellow lines any more. There was a time when a single line meant no parking during the working day. However around Trippet Lane the signs that specified the restrictions have all disappeared. One Sunday we watched the warden merrily popping tickets on a string of cars parked outside Maggie Mays that I thought were perfectly legally parked. It doesn't encourage you to come back.