Looking For A 2nd Had Car In Sheffield Under £700

1 minute ago, Jim Hardie said:

Not so. The only car I didn’t lose money on was a twelve year old Mark 1 Cortina, bought for £145 and sold for the same amount a year later.

If you’d kept it Jim it would be worth a fortune now, just like many cars I’ve sold in the past.

echo.

1 minute ago, echo beach said:

If you’d kept it Jim it would be worth a fortune now, just like many cars I’ve sold in the past.

echo.

Lol, it would have needed a bit of work. My ambition in those days was to own a car with no rust.

28 minutes ago, francypants said:

If you spent a bit more in the first place, at the end of 6 - 8 months you may still have a car to sell on.

Whereas buying a car for under £700 it would probably end up a scrapper.

I once bought a "Rolls Can Hardly" for well under £700.

1 minute ago, Jim Hardie said:

Lol, it would have needed a bit of work. My ambition in those days was to own a car with no rust.

Used cars all came with rust as standard in those days. Recall the Vauxhall Victor model which was so badly designed it almost came off the production line rusting. It took Vauxhall many years to get rid of that bad reputation.

echo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, echo beach said:

Used cars all came with rust as standard in those days. Recall the Vauxhall Victor model which was so badly designed it almost came off the production line rusting. It took Vauxhall many years to get rid of that bad reputation.

echo.

My first car 1957 Vauxhall Victor Echo. OUT 680.

Howse about that..

As you say, a proper rust bucket.

39 minutes ago, echo beach said:

echo.

Current American trucks are still having that problems.  Especially ones that sat around over Covid due to parts scarcity.

Some were delivered to dealers rusting.

Go to one of the big used car sales operations and ask them if they have taken anything in part exchange that matches your requirements, good hunting. 🚘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

Go to one of the big used car sales operations and ask them if they have taken anything in part exchange that matches your requirements, good hunting. 🚘

It’s a good idea and convenient but the car sales would not offer any guarantee on the car so going to auction I think would be a better idea either cheaper or similar price but a newer reg plate or both it’s a gamble either way.

2 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

It’s a good idea and convenient but the car sales would not offer any guarantee on the car so going to auction I think would be a better idea either cheaper or similar price but a newer reg plate or both it’s a gamble either way.

No guarantee buying private, auction houses do accept pre auction inspection, at the posters price some chances would be expected.

1 hour ago, *Wallace* said:

A business can't sell a car without guarantee (of sorts), so they can't do you a cheap deal on a snotter out back.

That's why stuff goes to Auction.

Whatever the law says good luck taking it back for a refund.

There's quite a few on ebay for less than 700.