Arthritis In Old Age?

Over 10 million people in the UK have arthritis. That's one in six people living with the pain, fatigue, immobility, and reduced dexterity it can cause.

It most commonly starts among people between the ages of 40 and 60. It's more common in women than men.

Some people seem to be totally clear from arthritis and some suffer as they get older.

People can get new joints on the NHS, but they only last around 15 years?

My knees give me a little discomfort, my hips are also starting, I am 60, but it will hopefully be a very gradual worsening and I will be ok. My 70 year old sister suffers, but manages so far.

How about you?

I too have Osteoarthritis. I think it's one of the most common symptoms of old age and very debilitating, but so far it's been held at bay with injections into the joints. 

I've just had a shoulder joint replacement. I had to join a waiting list, but it finally came up and all went very well. Only 1 night in hospital, (they might also do it as a day case, I'm not sure) and recovery is going well. Still receiving fortnightly checks and physio at hospital, and doing daily exercises at home, but hoping for a full recovery which is on the cards.

So glad I had it done.

Edited by Anna B

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I too have Osteoarthritis. I think it's one of the most common symptoms of old age and very debilitating, but so far it's been held at bay with injections into the joints. 

I've just had a shoulder joint replacement. I had to join a waiting list, but it finally came up and all went very well. Only 1 night in hospital, (they might also do it as a day case, I'm not sure) and recovery is going well. Still receiving fortnightly checks and physio at hospital, and doing daily exercises at home, but hoping for a full recovery which is on the cards.

So glad I had it done.

That is interesting, we mostly hear about knee joint replacements, maybe hips too.

I guess more joints are being replaced, as techniques improve.

A friend has had his knee joint replaced, at the age of 60, he probably blames that on playing football.

I wonder if there is a cause, or just pot luck which joints are worst?

Pot luck I think, although it does seem to run in families, so genetics has something to do with it.

And of course as people live longer joints wear out, though there are other reasons too like earlier injury as you point out. 

Edited by Anna B

Yes, I too suffer with Osteoarthritis, have done since my thirties ( I'm now 68 ) 

Mainly it's in my spine which also causes Sciatica down both legs. Other joints of mine affected are knees, hips, left shoulder and fingers.

I've had one operation on my right knee joint ( not a replacement ) but apart from that I'm managing the pain  ( just about ) with medication.

Apart from the usual cause of age related wear and tear I often wonder if several years of figure skating in my younger days has taken it's toll as it does put a lot of stress on the joints ( especially back and legs with spins and jumps )  I don't regret it though as I loved it.   Another possible contributing factor was that in my thirties I worked as an Insurance Agent for 8 years collecting and selling insurance in peoples houses on a daily basis,  out in all weathers and constantly getting in and out of my car.   Who knows ?  .............

As far as I know I'm the only one in my family that it has affected.

Edited by francypants

1 hour ago, francypants said:

Yes, I too suffer with Osteoarthritis, have done since my thirties ( I'm now 68 ) 

Mainly it's in my spine which also causes Sciatica down both legs. Other joints of mine affected are knees, hips, left shoulder and fingers.

I've had one operation on my right knee joint ( not a replacement ) but apart from that I'm managing the pain  ( just about ) with medication.

Apart from the usual cause of age related wear and tear I often wonder if several years of figure skating in my younger days has taken it's toll as it does put a lot of stress on the joints ( especially back and legs with spins and jumps )  I don't regret it though as I loved it.   Another possible contributing factor was that in my thirties I worked as an Insurance Agent for 8 years collecting and selling insurance in peoples houses on a daily basis,  out in all weathers and constantly getting in and out of my car.   Who knows ?  .............

As far as I know I'm the only one in my family that it has affected.

Spray some WD-over 40 on the joints...

• Haha 2

Mum suffered from arthritis in both knees in her later years but Dad was alright.

So far my knees are fine. I play table tennis on a regular basis.

About 5 years ago I fell off the ladder getting the Christmas decorations out of the loft.

Hit my left arm on the bannister rail, dislocated it and chipped the top of the bone.

Had to be put under for the doctors to get it back again.

Since then I’ve had more pain from my other shoulder! How do you work that one out?

Suffer a bit of sciatica when I stand for a long time but all in all quite happy for my age.

My best man who is a year younger than me has had both knees replaced. Then again he was an excellent footballer and runner in his youth.

echo.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

So glad I had it done.

How did your shoulder trouble come about ? I have been having trouble with one of my for about two months now .

5 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How did your shoulder trouble come about ? I have been having trouble with one of my for about two months now .

I've had arthritis in several joints for years. It's a family thing.

I used to play a lot of tennis in my younger days, but had to stop. Shoulder was possibly aggravated by a car crash about 20 years ago where I had to shoulder barge the car door open to get out. Also always used to carry my very large, heavy work bag / satchel on that shoulder which probably didn't help. 

It became increasingly painful over time, and used to 'lock' in certain positions, so I couldn't change gear and had to buy an automatic car. Tried injections which had worked really well in my knees but didn't work in my shoulder. X-rays revealed the cartilage had worn away, some of the bone was worn too and also growing 'spurs,' so I gave in, and decided to go for op.

On waiting list for about 8 months. Finally operation at Hallamshire Hospital with general anaesthetic, and one night in hospital, then a 6 week recovery period at home. (worst aspect of which was I couldn't drive.) I now have more mobility in joint than before but still a work in progress with daily exercises. Full recovery takes about 6 to 9 months.

It all went well so in my case very much worth it, but each case is different. 

Edited by Anna B

I have spondylitis in my neck which is my worst problem I also have a dodgy knee and arthritis in my finger and my left thumb.

My right hip has suddenly started playing up as well, it isn't that painful but I think it isn't going to get better anytime soon.

I have been cycling for many years and think it is wear and tear as I'm 64 and I am still cycling.

I try not to let it bother me to much but my hip does not play up while cycling, just when I lay on my right side i can feel the dull pain.

It hasn't stopped me from carrying on with my sports but I definitely feel it at times   

Edited by Cody's Granddad

My other half is having a hip replacement today, just turned 50, she had one replaced just over 3 years ago 

Both times her scheduled NHS ops were cancelled, so we've have had to self fund Both times the ops privately

£11k first time around this time £16k

2 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

My right hip has suddenly started playing up as well, it isn't that painful but I think it isn't going to get better anytime soon.

I have been cycling for many years and think it is wear and tear as I'm 64 and I am still cycling.

My left hiphas given me slight twinges for years, yesturday and today is much worse, arthritis does seem to come and go. But I am surprized how quickly it could affect my life.

A friend stated how she could not press the clutch on her car, because of hip pain.

I have done 3 marathons over the years, but the experts says it hasnt caused these issue - as Beechwoods wife is only 50 and suffering much worse.