Where Was Your First Legal Alcoholic Drink And Is The Pub Still There.

Woodthorpe Arms, Mansfield Rd on my 18th Birthday, I remember Dave Barker, later councilor Barker, poured a pint over my head. I'd already been going there most Friday nights for the previous 2 years.

Travellers Rest Oughtibridge 1976 Cyril and Joyce Cooper were Mien Hosts

I had been drinking in there  for a year before.

Absolutely no idea. 

My parents used to buy me a glass of shandy and a packet of crisps containing a blue bag of salt (no fancy flavours in those days) to drink and eat in the car while they were in the pub getting their drinks. That was from a young age and usually on a return trip from the coast.

At 16 I was downing the odd glass with a ploughman's lunch whilst at college but when I started driving at 17 I had to carefully watch the amount I drank.

Now if you asked where and when was the first time I had sex, I do remember exactly, as I bet everyone does! I even recall the girl's name.

echo.

45 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Absolutely no idea. 

My parents used to buy me a glass of shandy and a packet of crisps containing a blue bag of salt (no fancy flavours in those days) to drink and eat in the car while they were in the pub getting their drinks. That was from a young age and usually on a return trip from the coast.

At 16 I was downing the odd glass with a ploughman's lunch whilst at college but when I started driving at 17 I had to carefully watch the amount I drank.

Now if you asked where and when was the first time I had sex, I do remember exactly, as I bet everyone does! I even recall the girl's name.

echo.

Wish I dare make a comment Mr. Echo.

The Albert, corner of Cambridge Street and Division Street, opposite the City Hall. Had been going in most Saturdays (lunch and evening) for a couple of years before that - and the Buccaneer and Nelson.

First drink was in the Stone House, March 1970, before going to see Pink Floyd at the City Hall when I was 15.

The Beehive , Upwell Lane, Grimesthorpe. Had my 18th in there.

Shoulder Mutton Worrall 1950s 1,3. pint Bill&Rita Fisher Land Lord.

The Plough, Sandygate Road.  Nov 18th, 1960.

Edited by mikeG
insert date

Arbourthorne Hotel on my 18th birthday. Pubs now long gone, they've built houses where it used to be. The day before my 18th I was drinking in the Travellers Rest on City Road, which is now a shop. 

Foresters (Whitbread) on Division Street. The very smartly dressed Bill & Maggie Stewart managed the pub. Mens bogs outside. Glass collector Friday and Saturday evenings was called Stan. I was 15 years old at the time...1969.

I got cot suppin' underage at the Cossack (Tetley) on Howard Street. Mens bogs outside. Before anyone casts doubt upon my good self, I was with mi bird that evening.I was 17 at the time, I was a cuppla weeks shy of being 18... 1971.

In Juvenile court on Nursery Street I was 18 years old...1972. I was fined £3, the exact equivalent of 25 pints, 12 pence per pint. When I left England in 1975, it cost in Sheffield an average of 14 pence a pint.

Foresters is still there, but as Gadsbys

Cossack was demolished.

My favourite haunts were Buccaneer ...Free house owned by Trust House Forte?...Buccaneer was demolished in 1973.

Minerva, Raven, Albert, all Whitbread houses, All now demolished.

Nelson,(Whitbread) and pub still there but under different name.

Moseley Arms (Stones) was mentioned. When Faulkners snooker hall on Cambridge Street was full at tea time, my pal Tom and me, would go down to the Moseley Arms, at West Bar. The pub had a full sized snooker table upstairs, We usually played a cuppla hours each time. I was surprised when the Moseley Arms closed down.

In those days you got a FULL pint in pubs, unlike today!!

• Like 2

On 18/07/2023 at 06:37, pattricia said:

My first legal drink “ Babycham”  was in The Grand Hotel in the centre of Sheffield. Where The Bessemer now is. Unfortunately my younger sister was  under age, drinking the same drink. We were on our way to a dance at The City Hall. We were unaware that two plain clothed police officers were also in the bar and charged my sister for under age drinking. They followed us to The City Hall and stood there in the ballroom to see if we went in the bar there. We had to appear in court but our mother went instead for us. She told the judge that we did not know that Babycham was an alcoholic drink.!

And then what happened Pattricia?