Where Was Your First Legal Alcoholic Drink And Is The Pub Still There.

Pint of Stones in the Sheldon on Hill Street, sadly now flats. Tommy Hoyland was the landlord and I was pleased to find out recently that’s he’s still with us aged 91.

On 18/07/2023 at 11:37, pattricia said:

My first legal drink “ Babycham”  was in The Grand Hotel in the centre of Sheffield. Where The Bessemer now is. Unfortunately my younger sister was  under age, drinking the same drink. We were on our way to a dance at The City Hall. We were unaware that two plain clothed police officers were also in the bar and charged my sister for under age drinking. They followed us to The City Hall and stood there in the ballroom to see if we went in the bar there. We had to appear in court but our mother went instead for us. She told the judge that we did not know that Babycham was an alcoholic drink.!

I was 18 and my GF was 17 and she got pulled by a plain clothes officer in the HIghway.

She didn't get fined but I did and had to go to court, I got fined £15 which was nearly a weeks wage then.

In the coming few years I would see the same policeman in the Crazy Daisy scouting for underage drinkers, I felt like shouting watch out everybody he's a copper..

On 18/07/2023 at 17:53, Palomar said:

Woodthorpe Arms, Mansfield Rd on my 18th Birthday, I remember Dave Barker, later councilor Barker, poured a pint over my head. I'd already been going there most Friday nights for the previous 2 years.

Did you know Cathy Roddis, her parents ran it 1977

Edited by Cody's Granddad

My first legal alcoholic drink was in The Yorkshireman , in town. I went there with my workmates to celebrate my 18th birthday, although I'd been out boozing in town and in local pubs for at least a couple of years prior to that. I only got done once for underage drinking. My friend and I got nabbed by a couple of plainclothes coppers, in the Hofbrauhaus - of all places, We didn't go to court - we pleaded guilty by post. I'd just turned 17 when we got nicked and was fined £5.  My friend was still 16 at the time, so she got fined £10.

Does anyone remember the Hofbrauhaus, back in the mid 1970's? I bloody  hated it there - the crap gassy lager...the relentlessly irritating oompah music...the bar staff all dressed in lederhosen and other daft fake-Aryan 'traditional' uniforms! It was an awful place!

22 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

My first legal alcoholic drink was in The Yorkshireman , in town. I went there with my workmates to celebrate my 18th birthday, although I'd been out boozing in town and in local pubs for at least a couple of years prior to that. I only got done once for underage drinking. My friend and I got nabbed by a couple of plainclothes coppers, in the Hofbrauhaus - of all places, We didn't go to court - we pleaded guilty by post. I'd just turned 17 when we got nicked and was fined £5.  My friend was still 16 at the time, so she got fined £10.

Does anyone remember the Hofbrauhaus, back in the mid 1970's? I bloody  hated it there - the crap gassy lager...the relentlessly irritating oompah music...the bar staff all dressed in lederhosen and other daft fake-Aryan 'traditional' uniforms! It was an awful place!

I only went in once (yes. it was crap), with a new first date girl friend, after a few drinks of whatever, she started dancing on a table top. thus falling off the table and  breaking ankle,, had to be carted off to the Royal hospital. Last I saw of her and the Hofbrauhaus.

Berni Inn at Meadowhead we used to go in our School dinner times from Rowlinson there was always an old Bloke in the corner and the Barmaid.

The pub is still there but it isn't a Berni Inn anymore.

Oops I thought it meant illegal drink.

Edited by Alextopman

4 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Berni Inn at Meadowhead we used to go in our School dinner times from Rowlinson there was always an old Bloke in the corner and the Barmaid.

The pub is still there but it isn't a Berni Inn anymore.

Oops I thought it meant illegal drink.

Yep. Me too. Used to nip across the road to Mitchell’s off licence and buy a 4 pack of Gold Label barley wine, sneak it into the Berni and then enliven each pint, (I think it was Whitbread Trophy at the time so needed help)  with a Gold Label as soon as there was room in the glass.

Happy Daze.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2023 at 19:56, St Petre said:

Smith's crisps that would have been echo.

Not bound to have been, Castle and XL crisps from Conisbrough were sold all over the area... they both had the salt twist. 

Hi Ken. You are going back a few year drinking at the Hillsborough Inn. My wifes father used to work behing the bar there. The door/gate to the back of the inn is/was still there. Left Sheffield in 1985. so dont know if the door/gate is still there.

2 hours ago, blackhill said:

Hi Ken. You are going back a few year drinking at the Hillsborough Inn. My wifes father used to work behing the bar there. The door/gate to the back of the inn is/was still there. Left Sheffield in 1985. so dont know if the door/gate is still there.

This would be 1957,I think the landlords name was Wilf

The Jolly Sailor in Tamworth,  1968...sadly demolished yonks ago

My wife says her father worked there around 1957 his name was Frank. 

He lived on Rider Road off Rudyard Road, opposite the then Hillsborough baths.

My last illegal drink and my first legal one was at the Star of Brunswick at the corner of Cliff st and Cemetery Rd

Got caught a month before my 18th birthday. Got fined four pound sterling . Went back on my 18th . Both pints of Tetly’s . 1/10 pence .

Great snooker table in there .