Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

17 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Why would 'they' send a mail shot out or put up big posters/illuminated signs etc.  when 'they'  don't really want some public consultation....in case it goes against the plan.

They have a legal obligation to do so, but by doing it via the internet they are being discriminatory as not everyone has access to the internet.

But this is typical behaviour of the SCC.

It used to be that there were notices in local newspapers - I don't know if this still happens - did anyone see one related to the CAZ?

13 minutes ago, Litotes said:

They have a legal obligation to do so, but by doing it via the internet they are being discriminatory as not everyone has access to the internet.

But this is typical behaviour of the SCC.

It used to be that there were notices in local newspapers - I don't know if this still happens - did anyone see one related to the CAZ?

Every council that I know of does most of their consultation online nowadays.

It used to be a legal requirement that traffic regulation orders had to be advertised in the local newspaper ( who consequently used to charge quite a bit for the ads). A few years ago this was changed by the government, so they are now advertised on council websites.

Edited by Planner1

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Every council that I know of does most of their consultation online nowadays.

It used to be a legal requirement that traffic regulation orders had to be advertised in the local newspaper ( who consequently used to charge quite a bit got the ads). A few years ago this was changed by the government, so they are now advertised on council websites.

Aaah yes I'm always on the council websites, can't keep me off them. 🙄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Aaah yes I'm always on the council websites, can't keep me off them. 🙄

They don’t just put it on the website. There are usually notices on street, announcements on social media and in the press.

Whichever way they do it, people complain and say they haven’t seen it.

I’ve hand delivered consultations into people’s letterboxes who’ve subsequently said to me they didn’t receive anything.

39 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

They don’t just put it on the website. There are usually notices on street, announcements on social media and in the press.

Did anyone see any announcements about the CAZ or was it another stitch up from the SCC?

47 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Whichever way they do it, people complain and say they haven’t seen it.

I’ve hand delivered consultations into people’s letterboxes who’ve subsequently said to me they didn’t receive anything.

Your always going to get people who say they never received what was posted through their door as they get so much junk mail they just throw it away.

Still think if SCC made it clear that they were proposing a chargeable caz scheme at the consultation stage they would have had many more people voting against it.

But even if people did vote against it SCC would still go ahead with it anyway as they aren't interested in what we have to say ,they just treat us like the great unwashed!.

6 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Still think if SCC made it clear that they were proposing a chargeable caz scheme at the consultation stage they would have had many more people voting against it.

But even if people did vote against it SCC would still go ahead with it anyway as they aren't interested in what we have to say ,they just treat us like the great unwashed!.

You say you didn’t see any consultation, so what difference would it have made whatever they said?

People don’t “ vote” in a consultation. It isn’t a ballot.

Just now, Planner1 said:

You say you didn’t see any consultation, so what difference would it have made whatever they said?

People don’t “ vote” in a consultation. It isn’t a ballot.

So what are you supposed to do in a consultation,are they not asking our opinion,? And how can you form an opinion if you're not made aware of the full facts? In particular that SCC was proposing a chargeable CAZ Zone.

I remember seeing illuminated signs on some of the major roads saying that CAZ was being planned but nothing else.

11 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

So what are you supposed to do in a consultation,are they not asking our opinion,? And how can you form an opinion if you're not made aware of the full facts? In particular that SCC was proposing a chargeable CAZ Zone.

I remember seeing illuminated signs on some of the major roads saying that CAZ was being planned but nothing else.

Consultations give decision makers an indication of opinions. They are not ballots. 

Have a look at this report. It’s clear from it that they consulted on a charging CAZ.

There are results from the business specific consultation here

Theres plenty of information out there.

There were three consultations, you admit you never looked at any of them, so it’s a bit late now to start asking questions. You should have been doing that years ago, as the proposals have been well known for a long time. 

13 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Consultations give decision makers an indication of opinions. They are not ballots. 

Have a look at this report. It’s clear from it that they consulted on a charging CAZ.

There were three consultations, you admit you never looked at any of them, so it’s a bit late now to start asking questions. You should have been doing that years ago, as the proposals have been well known for a long time. 

Taxi drivers were protesting the CAZ zone 2 years ago but they were ignored by the council.

Edited by HumbleNarrator

10 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Okay but even if I had given my opinion at the time of the consultation SCC wouldn't have been interested.

It's obvious from the  manner in which you reply to people's posts on here that you like SCC treat us the electorate with contempt.

11 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

This really supports the opinion that consultations are purely lip service.

In fact the link you provide show that they consulted, and after consultation changed their proposals, but didn't go back out to consultation - in itself, this is in breach of guidelines

Furthermore a consultation on a proposal that will have such a long term impact should have been done for more 4 weeks, especially over the Christmas period - the local government guidelines back this up.

Also, there is no indication that no route to respond, other than through the internet, was provided - again, against local government recommendations.

In these reports it identifies that there were 25 oppositions to the CAZ and 9 supporters. Nearly 75% said it would have a negative impact on their businesses and less than half said it would be positive for Sheffield. "Respondents to the consultation overall viewed the CAZ as having an overall negative impact on businesses and Sheffield as a city, and there is a lot of concern about these impacts. Many suggestions were made about how these impacts can be mitigated, and alternative suggestions on CAZ delivery put forward."

And yet, we have been landed with a CAZ that very few in the city wanted, a CAZ that was delivered was not one we were consulted on, and a CAZ that is imbecilic in its implementation...

Nothing new there for the SCC!

• Thanks 1