Are You Ready For Gas Prices To Double, Or Even Triple?

• 2 weeks later...

So, before all this malarkey started I was quite savvy and listened to Martin Lewis and got on a decent (ish) fixed tariff at £100 per month; one bedroom flat (duel fuel, I'm with Octopus Energy) that tariff runs out in late September. They (Octopus) have contacted me with four options. Option 1; go on 'Coop fixed Loyal tariff at £286 per month. £186 increase per month!!! Option 2; Do nothing, they'll automatically transfer me to Coop flexible variable tariff at £130 per month. Option 3; go onto Green Community fixed energy tafiff at £301 per month. Option 4; Shop around for better deals. I've been on every comparison site there is; nothing is lower than £280-£300 per month. So, obviously I'm going to go for option 2, but I'm worried that there will be massive expensive consequences next year, there has to be a downside to choosing £130 per month as opposed to £300 per month, or am I overthinking it?

£130/month isn't going to last long - the cap is going up through the roof from 1/10 (near doubling), the level is announced in a couple of weeks.. then expected to go up again in Jan, and most likely every 3 months after that. Would be nice if the government machinery got their act together and told us if they plan to do anything, so the public can make an informed decision, but it's not going to happen any time soon ... they've had at least a year to think up some answers.

Plenty of people are probably regretting taking the advice from pundits not to lock, when they could have. The predictions of future prices have been massive underestimates.

You could wait a couple of weeks to find out the new rates, but it's possible that the fixed rates on offer at the time could be higher than today.

Everyone should be looking at their energy usage in fine detail if they want to reduce future costs, the prices are out of our control.

If it isn't obvious,  ignore green tariffs, unless you want to throw money down the drain. or they are cheaper for longer.

Edited by fools
  • Like 1

On 01/08/2022 at 08:24, Ms Macbeth said:

Heating one room was often the only option without central heating. A coal fire in the living room, and if you were lucky, perhaps a paraffin heater as an extra!

Most of my extended family worked for the NCB. Correction, most of the men in my extended family did.

So, visiting relatives involved sitting in a living room that was hotter than the sun, heated by a generous coal allowance. Trips to the toilet were often chilly though.

4 hours ago, Foot and Mouth said:

So, before all this malarkey started I was quite savvy and listened to Martin Lewis and got on a decent (ish) fixed tariff at £100 per month; one bedroom flat (duel fuel, I'm with Octopus Energy) that tariff runs out in late September. They (Octopus) have contacted me with four options. Option 1; go on 'Coop fixed Loyal tariff at £286 per month. £186 increase per month!!! Option 2; Do nothing, they'll automatically transfer me to Coop flexible variable tariff at £130 per month. Option 3; go onto Green Community fixed energy tafiff at £301 per month. Option 4; Shop around for better deals. I've been on every comparison site there is; nothing is lower than £280-£300 per month. So, obviously I'm going to go for option 2, but I'm worried that there will be massive expensive consequences next year, there has to be a downside to choosing £130 per month as opposed to £300 per month, or am I overthinking it?

Well for starters you have fallen into the trap of only looking at the amount they are asking for your direct debit per month, which may or may not be enough to pay your bill.

You need to be comparing unit rates.

The thing with this high inflation, pensioners are getting a inflation linked increase, so they don't need these £400/£600 payments for their energy.

I am sure the government will argue some on benefits don't need an inflation linked rise, because they have received payments of £400/£600

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The thing with this high inflation, pensioners are getting a inflation linked increase, so they don't need these £400/£600 payments for their energy.

I am sure the government will argue some on benefits don't need an inflation linked rise, because they have received payments of £400/£600

Inflation is roughly 10%, so the pension will go up by roughly that.

How much are energy prices set to rise over the winter?

31 minutes ago, sibon said:

Inflation is roughly 10%, so the pension will go up by roughly that.

How much are energy prices set to rise over the winter?

Inflation is 9.4% or 11.8% depending on whether u use CPI or RPI.

My energy bill will be lower this winter because of my solar panels, which have been available free to many in low incomes for a decade.

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Inflation is 9.4% or 11.8% depending on whether u use CPI or RPI.

My energy bill will be lower this winter because of my solar panels, which have been available free to many in low incomes for a decade.

Well done. I’m very pleased to hear that.

Now, perhaps you could try to answer my question.