Are You Ready For Gas Prices To Double, Or Even Triple?

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Wondering how people will cope if the cost of gas doubles or triples this coming winter?

Any alternatives for heating a home? Alternative fuels? Wood burning heaters?

I guess a lot of people just won’t have heat. Worrying times..

Weve stored gas bottles, wood and coal in our storage room for the coming winter. Hopefully we've stored enough but I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

So ‘Lots of people’ are always wrong and you are always correct, I bow to such superiority. :huh:

I don't understand your point though...

Lots of times, historically, large groups of people have been in dire circumstances. You could argue that the people living through the Sheffield blitz, had enviable circumstances compared with some other groups of people living in that same period of time. So what? Who does it help making these comparisons?

From a practical point of view; it seems to me completely mute and irrelevant; as people (no matter what time they're living in) will always seek to improve conditions in their own lives, for themselves and their families. Right now; a big concern for a lot of people is going to be cost of living generally; and especially the rising cost of energy.

Edited by Waldo

48 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I don't understand your point though...

Lots of times, historically, large groups of people have been in dire circumstances. You could argue that the people living through the Sheffield blitz, had enviable circumstances compared with some other groups of people living in that same period of time. So what? Who does it help making these comparisons?

From a practical point of view; it seems to me completely mute and irrelevant; as people (no matter what time they're living in) will always seek to improve conditions in their own lives, for themselves and their families. Right now; a big concern for a lot of people is going to be cost of living generally; and especially the rising cost of energy.

You’re really having a birthday with this aren’t you, there is a life out there you know.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Anyone here have a wood burning stove?

We do - very effective and warms our (old) house very well, though obviously we have central heating too. It’s not particularly cheap though ,and inevitably,the price of wood is rising. Ours is multi-fuel,which I would recommend - we start it with smokeless fuel,then top it up with logs,it stays in all evening that way ,whereas if you just use logs it soon burns away and you use an awful lot. We do have lots of trees,but of course any wood from those after pruning etc.  can’t be used for at least a year as it has to dry out.

Hope that helps!

Anyone building their own house could aim for a super energy efficient home, and it wouldn’t cost mega money as they would be starting from scratch, not converting a none energy efficient building into an energy efficient one. I just wonder if any of the leading house builders have decided to go in this direction. :huh:

4 hours ago, crookesey said:

If you were preparing for Christmas back in 1940, you wouldn’t have expected to be amongst the 660 dead or 1500 injured  by German bombs during the Sheffield Blitz. How’s that compare with your utility bills increasing?

Right, so we're not entitled to complain about anything unless it reaches the seriousness threshold of the Sheffield blitz?

The utility companies will love you. 

4 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Right, so we're not entitled to complain about anything unless it reaches the seriousness threshold of the Sheffield blitz?

The utility companies will love you. 

Watch that you don’t fall off your high horse.

Guest ThaBoom

Glad I fixed our gas and electricity in 2021.

Will just face the new prices when existing contract ends, it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Janet24 said:

We do - very effective and warms our (old) house very well, though obviously we have central heating too. It’s not particularly cheap though ,and inevitably,the price of wood is rising. Ours is multi-fuel,which I would recommend - we start it with smokeless fuel,then top it up with logs,it stays in all evening that way ,whereas if you just use logs it soon burns away and you use an awful lot. We do have lots of trees,but of course any wood from those after pruning etc.  can’t be used for at least a year as it has to dry out.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Janet.

Just curious; how would you estimate the running costs (purchase of fuel and maintenance) of your wood burner vs central heating?