Shops Asking To Check In Your Bags At Checkouts

16 minutes ago, Longcol said:

No but it's breaking the rules of the private premises .

Hmmm... :huh:

If, as I thought, you can't be legally charged until you've left the premises, then the only reason they can be doing this is as a deterrent.

If you're still in the shop then you've still got the opportunity to pay for any goods before you leave, and therefore can't be guilty of stealing anything at that point.

So what proof do they have that you don't intend to pay for the goods before you leave?

Or am I wrong? :confused:

3 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Anyone wanting to check in my bag with no good reason is breaking my rules.

Doesn't matter if you are on their premises, it's their rules on their premises (as long as not breaking a law eg no blacks).

For example;

https://www.talkingretail.com/advice/business-advice/actionline/ban-someone-from-your-store-talking-retails-how-to-guide-30-04-2007/

3 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

If, as I thought, you can't be legally charged until you've left the premises, then the only reason they can be doing this is as a deterrent.

If you're still in the shop then you've still got the opportunity to pay for any goods before you leave, and therefore can't be guilty of stealing anything at that point.

So what proof do they have that you don't intend to pay for the goods before you leave?

I think I can see your point here, @Mr Bloke, but I also think I can see that some people are blowing this out of proportion - for instance, where in the shop did this occur - beyond the tills, but before the exit?, did the individuals behaviour give staff the impression 'something funny' was going on?, or is it just their idea of how a shop should protect their stock is wrong - in their eyes?

29 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Private premises like shops are entitled to introduce their own rules on their own premises as long as they don't break the law.

Yes, but their rules would not over-rule the criminal law. You could for example agree (say by entering a shop) to abide by their rules including to being searched upon exit. When it comes time to exit, you say 'no thanks' I do not wish to be searched and if they search you they would be committing an assault. Of course, if you say 'ok' at the exit then they can search you. Of course the police do have powers of search under prescribed conditions.

A more fruity example: a man hands over money to a prostitute who agrees to have sex with him. She then declines to have sex thus breaching their contract. Were he to attempt to have sex with her despite her not consenting he would be guilty of rape or attempted rape. He can take her to court for the return of his money but neither he nor the court can insist she have sex with him.

11 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I'm afraid your wrong Mr. Bloke..

But unfortunately at this time on a Saturday night I'm unable to give you an intelligent answer to your question.