The Labour Party - Part 2

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

What , about Diane Abbott calling the bingo ?

Whey Hey!!!

Legs eleven and 2 fat ladies........

Ruddy hell you've got me at it now.

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

maybe, ya kinky sod

Never crossed my mind 

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I've never felt comfortable with this rather insulting position that somehow the wider populace are so idiotic that they are simply led by what the newspapers choose to report or have opinions parrotted from whatever the media tells them they should be thinking.

But the media is very succesfull at selling goods, the big manufactuers want their goods placed in films to influence people to buy them, coverage of immigration more than tripled over the course of the 2016 referendum campaign, adveretisements work and they are only short

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Whey Hey!!!

Legs eleven and 2 fat ladies........

Ruddy hell you've got me at it now.

You'd never get that with Diane Abbot down the Mecca (& that would have to be renamed).

It'd be "All the eights, 88, the year the Left was Rob by the Membership failing to get behind Benn & letting Kinnock hijack the Party in the leadership battle." 

Not as catchy as 2 fat ladies but it would be both politically & factually correct in Diane's eyes.   You wouldn't get through many cards on a night when Diane was shouting out the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

You'd never get that with Diane Abbot down the Mecca (& that would have to be renamed).

It'd be "All the eights, 88, the year the Left was Rob by the Membership failing to get behind Benn & letting Kinnock hijack the Party in the leadership battle." 

Not as catchy as 2 fat ladies but it would be both politically & factually correct in Diane's eyes.   You wouldn't get through many cards on a night when Diane was shouting out the numbers. 

That’s a very weird post.

On 03/12/2021 at 20:35, El Cid said:

But the media is very succesfull at selling goods, the big manufactuers want their goods placed in films to influence people to buy them, coverage of immigration more than tripled over the course of the 2016 referendum campaign, adveretisements work and they are only short

I think that is a big myth and one frequently put out by the advertising companies (and even this forum) as its revenue to them. That big retailer Primark for instance are very successful and profitable and dont do ads. Most people just dont like ads and a great deal are even put off by them hence the attempts to force ads on people and the ad blockers used to try and stop them.

Edited by Dromedary

16 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

I think that is a big myth and one frequently put out by the advertising companies (and even this forum) as its revenue to them. That big retailer Primark for instance are very successful and profitable and dont do ads. Most people just dont like ads and a great deal are even put off by them hence the attempts to force ads on people and the ad blockers used to try and stop them.

Nevertheless the advertising agencies are still employed at great expense to influence people, by people wanting them to buy their goods or messageinto buying goods. The written and spoken word is how we learn about the world and form opinions on a diverse range of subjects. Newspapers are supposed to report news but are becoming more and more opinion based rather than fact based.

31 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Nevertheless the advertising agencies are still employed at great expense to influence people, by people wanting them to buy their goods or messageinto buying goods. The written and spoken word is how we learn about the world and form opinions on a diverse range of subjects. Newspapers are supposed to report news but are becoming more and more opinion based rather than fact based.

So, where would you start in your (presumed) ban on advertising? TV, newspapers, billboards, the Internet, radio, back of buses, flyposters? And which sort of consumer goods (ie things we buy), ie, books, houses, electrical goods, computers, plants, electricity, gas, and things we get free through advertising like this forum and virtually everying you can find in the shops. And what of the arts, cinema, theatre, sports, travel, trade services, legal services, tourism to name a few.

And then there is industry who advertise machinery, aircraft, parts for power stations and oil rigs ad infinitum.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I’ve not read a newspaper in probably 5 years but I still know who to vote for so your theory doesn’t really work

Guest sibon
23 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

I’ve not read a newspaper in probably 5 years but I still know who to vote for so your theory doesn’t really work

Some would say that you don't know who to vote for.

Most people don't vote like you.

1 hour ago, carosio said:

So, where would you start in your (presumed) ban on advertising? TV, newspapers, billboards, the Internet, radio, back of buses, flyposters? And which sort of consumer goods (ie things we buy), ie, books, houses, electrical goods, computers, plants, electricity, gas, and things we get free through advertising like this forum and virtually everying you can find in the shops. And what of the arts, cinema, theatre, sports, travel, trade services, legal services, tourism to name a few.

And then there is industry who advertise machinery, aircraft, parts for power stations and oil rigs ad infinitum.

It's impossible to ban it. It's a free country, people can spend their money on whatever they like.

All I'm saying is be aware.

We are all influenced to some degree by the world around us, -and the worlds that come to us in other forms be it newspapers, television, social media etc. It's daft to deny it. But you can be aware enough to sometimes spot it when it's happening and be wide to it. So I always check other sources.

One of the problems we have now is 'confirmation bias' where we are deliberately fed (via algorithms) supporting evidence and views which confirm and normalise our prejudices. IMO this is dangerous and is dividing society into evermore polarised viewpoints.

Edited by Anna B

48 minutes ago, sibon said:

Some would say that you don't know who to vote for.

Most people don't vote like you.

Some would say that your opinion is just a troll. 
Should would say that ‘most people’ vote how they choose to for a variety of reasons. There is not one single reason that solidifies peoples vote