Danny Baker? Racist or Misguided Fool?

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

He said it was to do with class rather than race but don’t get why he chose that picture to demonstrate it if that was the case.

i don’t think he’s racist (I don’t know but he’s never displayed anything to suggest he is) but I agree it was a stupid thing to do and shows a massive lack of judgement and perception.

I don’t think he can have any complaints really.

Pretty much on the money. That said I suspect he’ll be on Talksport by the the start of next season.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

He said it was to do with class rather than race but don’t get why he chose that picture to demonstrate it if that was the case.

Indeed - but I and I daresay you and many others see how a chimpanzee fits the notion of the working class.

I find the whole saga hilarious.

First DB says it was a joke but fails to explain it to we with no sense of humour.

Then the BBC shows the photo but not the bit which has the chimp in it so we with no imagination are sold short.

Got to admire DB's chutzpah in his laughable attempt to brazen it out. He must be the only person in the country not to know what he said he didn't know after it's been rammed down all our throats the last few days by his former employer.

In his effort to humour the left, he associated himself with the right, the reality being he just doesn't have much in the centre, Boom ! Boom ! …. he really should have known better, especially working for the Beeb lol.

I don't think for one second that Danny Baker is racist. He is desperate to be funny, edgy and relevant. If I'd have seen his caricature before all the furore  erupted I'd have seen it as a critique based on class rather than race.

Problem  Danny Baker has is that he is not clever or funny, his Saturday radio show is boring and banal, and terribly desperate to be funny, I've tried to get into it but it's hard work.

He's a bit of a man/child , similar to  his side kick Chris Evans and at 62 he needs to grow up  

I do feel sorry for him at this point to be accused of unconscious racism

He'll survive.

I do find the faux outrage of some BBC luvvies a bit rich

8 hours ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

I took it to mean another Royal baby circus. I could be wrong but either way it was a daft way to put any point of view across. He must have know despite how he meant it, it would have been viewed as racist by some.

I'm not sure he did know, probably never occurred to him, otherwise he wouldn't have done it

Edited by Ridgewalk

3 minutes ago, Branyy said:

I see the problem in people who project their own racist perception (monkey = black) onto someone else's intention.

I agree. This is what Danny Baker more or less  said in his own defence

"I haven't got a diseased mind"