Danny Baker? Racist or Misguided Fool?

1 hour ago, Brooker11 said:

This thread doesn't seem to have as many rabid accusers as Twitter who will only see one side of the story no matter what, the guy isn't racist he's championed many a black musician in his long career, he has a running "joke" about posting animals wearing clothes and he's likened the royals who he's not a fan of as a circus, I saw the tweet as a combo of both and skipped past what i saw as a fairly lame joke. I was quite surprised to learn the next day that he had been sacked for it, it was very badly misjudged but he's just had a career upturn with a tv series and stage play he's hardly going to deliberately post something to undo all that. foolish yes, racist not a chance.

Then he might have been better advised to pick an image where the child he's picking on - for want of a better phrase - is mixed race. Use a clown or whatever. Keep that image if the duchess of Cambridge has another, far safer ground.

Having said all of that, the BBC have gone big quite quickly, just as they did with Russell brand a few years back. Clarkson had to literally punch someone in the face to get sacked.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Then he might have been better advised to pick an image where the child he's picking on - for want of a better phrase - is mixed race. Use a clown or whatever. Keep that image if the duchess of Cambridge has another, far safer ground.

Having said all of that, the BBC have gone big quite quickly, just as they did with Russell brand a few years back. Clarkson had to literally punch someone in the face to get sacked.

He wasn't picking on a child he said ealier that the royals as a whole was a circus, he's a family man and appears to be a good one why would he single out a child, it was wrong but as usual has been blown totally out of proportion.

1 minute ago, Brooker11 said:

He wasn't picking on a child he said ealier that the royals as a whole was a circus, he's a family man and appears to be a good one why would he single out a child, it was wrong but as usual has been blown totally out of proportion.

Then show a family of apes. As I said, I don't think he's a racist but as bad decisions go, it's right up there.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

Then show a family of apes. As I said, I don't think he's a racist but as bad decisions go, it's right up there.

I agree but the fallout has been OTT.

19 hours ago, Halibut said:

Whether Baker is racist I'm not sure...but portraying the royal baby - much talked about for having just a wee bit of black heritage - as a chimpanzee? What the hell was he thinking? If he's stupid enough to fail to notice the negative associations of that one he deserves all he gets.

If it wasn't a racist idea, what was it? Is the chimp intended to suggest the royal babe is less than human or what? I don't get it at all.

I dont really follow the royals, i do  read the news but generally skip over news on the royal family (nothing against them I just have little interest in them) - I had no idea Meghan Markle had any black heritage.  Its not obvious. I could understand a lot of other people being unaware.

58 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

I disagree that it's a racist image in itself, he was trying to compare the royals to a circus but made a very bad choice of an image to use, taken out of the context of this story its a couple walking a chimp.

The following from the BBC website:

"The tweet, which was removed, showed an image of a couple holding hands with a chimpanzee dressed in clothes with the caption: "Royal Baby leaves hospital".

The caption with the photo makes the context clear. 

Baker, like most presenters these days is probably a self employed freelance, so he will have signed up to the BBC's contract with all that entails & probably been on their various diversity courses.

He's a savvy broadcaster & should have known better.  I wonder if it was one of those late night, had a few too many, good idea / hilarious  at the time Tweets? 

Right - I can see the point in the humour of the media portrayal of royals as being expected to perform, being controlled.

And, I did not know the mother was dual heritage.

Does that make me a racist if I snigger at the media/royal satire?

Confused.

2 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I dont really follow the royals, i do  read the news but generally skip over news on the royal family (nothing against them I just have little interest in them) - I had no idea Meghan Markle had any black heritage.  Its not obvious. I could understand a lot of other people being unaware.

Same here had no idea.Its quite possible he either didn't know or forgot or did not make the connection.Its hardly ever mentioned.Why would it be?

11 hours ago, Steptoad said:

Isn't "dropping the chimp" as in "has she dropped the chimp yet?" a euphemism for giving birth?

never heard that used in Sheffield.

4 minutes ago, choogling said:

never heard that used in Sheffield.

Same here - in fact never heard it used anywhere.

If he had racist intentions,  he deserves the sack, no excuse, end of.

However, if the chimp thing was a dig at the royals as circus exhibits, then no;  I am sick of people swooning over these hyped up over paid no bodies every time they have a baby.

The problem is the BBC will be aware of the real racism in the media at the moment, such as the unacceptable monkey chants at football matches which is aimed at demeaning black players.  Therefore they have to be seen to have no tolerance, even if there is a whiff of racism.

Personally I think he has been an idiot for putting himself in that position in the first place.

Was he being racist?

Only he knows.

Is he a tool?

Definitely 

Any celebrity, politician, public figure, sports star etc should really consider their use of social media. As good as it is as a speaking platform / creates an audience for fans it only takes one mistake to destroy a career with a single sentence.

Even in my role I don't bother with it as I know employers monitor employees facebook twitter etc, I don't partake because of the slightest risk I may say or exchange something that may be blown out of proportion so when people in the lime line jump in with both feet without thinking is stupid, they should really know better and have a friend / family or staff double check what stupid stuff they type before they post or stay off it all together.