The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

13 hours ago, ads36 said:

They really did.

'absolutely nobody is talking about leaving the single market'

Or words to that effect.

Daniel Hannan.

But as that fullfact article also points out the single market and the customs union are two different things. You stated "The leave campaign assured us that we'd be staying in the customs union," which was wrong.

Quote from fullfact.org:

Conclusion

"The customs union was rarely mentioned by Leave campaigners before the referendum."

It also states:

"Key figures from both the Remain and Leave campaigns said before the referendum that voting to leave meant leaving the single market. The customs union itself was rarely mentioned before the referendum, as far as we’ve seen."

In other words, before the referendum, and still, now, 3years later, there was, and isn't, a clear, single interpretation of what 'leave' means.

It's easy promising all things to all men. Somewhat trickier when you're asked to deliver.

If our exit from the EU has run into difficulties, then the blame lies squarely with those that promised anything and everything.

It's not too hard to imagine that vagueness / ambiguity was part of the strategy.

3 minutes ago, ads36 said:

It's not too hard to imagine that vagueness/ambiguity was part of the strategy.

To be fair, our politicians try to be vague at every general election, even when they are pinned down to a policy they rarely act on it. Net immigration to below 100,000  was a promise made in 2010 !!!

On 8 March 2019 at 17:20, apelike said:

Just pointing out it's not only the UK that will have problems, but as usual you and others will leap at the chance to say its some form of justification from leavers.

Yep and personally I can't wait!

Pointing out it's not only the UK that will have problems, to then argue that it's the EU's fault for "clamping down on the UK", is not "just" pointing out it's not only the UK that will have problems, and pretty much looks like an attempt at justifying Brexit, from where I'm looking at iansheff's post.

Perhaps you want to re-read it, and my own post in reply to it, to assure yourself of what I wrote, rather than what you think I wrote.

19 days to go.

On 09/03/2019 at 08:55, Magilla said:

Standard Brexiteer, I'm not at all surprised.

Prison is too good for 'em, anyone who lies to enrich themselves at the cost of the prosperity of their own nation should really be getting their necks stretched.

Then you advocate that the entire capitalist establishment be hanged. You're a revolutionary Marxist!

34 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Then you advocate that the entire capitalist establishment be hanged.

No, i don't :roll:

34 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

You're a revolutionary Marxist!

Aye, 'cos you would know eh comrade :loopy::hihi:

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Pointing out it's not only the UK that will have problems, to then argue that it's the EU's fault for "clamping down on the UK", is not "just" pointing out it's not only the UK that will have problems, and pretty much looks like an attempt at justifying Brexit, from where I'm looking at iansheff's post.

Perhaps you want to re-read it, and my own post in reply to it, to assure yourself of what I wrote, rather than what you think I wrote.

19 days to go.

Cant wait. Hopefully its a No Deal exit. 

4 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Cant wait. Hopefully its a No Deal exit. 

Let's do this!

3 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Let's do this!

Let’s not be silly.

Let's let the democratic electorate have the final say.

58 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Let's let the democratic electorate have the final say.

they did and voted out :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, ricgem2002 said:

they did and voted out :thumbsup:

And perhaps this week will define what Leave means.

Or perhaps not .