The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 hour ago, L00b said:

The issue with the above, is that in practical terms, the 48% and friends have achieved nothing since June 2016.

The EU27 aren't about to make local or visiting Brits undesirables, as a matter of fact the unilateral garantees for resident Brits in case of no deal Brexit have all been volunteered by EU states first: they know full well what a resource immigrant Brits are for them, and unsurprisingly value them so.

Somewhat different to the UK approach with its shambolic settled status application system, perpetuating Theresa's hostile environment of old (est.2010).

The jobs and businesses were always hoing to be gained from the UK on the run-up to Brexit day. Scores of us said so on here before the referendum, if you'll recall my exchanges with unbeliever. The UK's handling of Brexit, woefully-misplayed and non-existent brinksmanship and all, has simply compounded them.

Yet even given that context, refer to my first sentence above: what has the 48% done and achieved, to unf**** UK politics and stop the Brexit Knievel bus ride? Sod all, is what.

So. The EU27 are very mindful of the 48% and keep friendly intentions for them, sure. But they know the 48% are politically irrelevant in the actual Brexit process and decisions, because they are wholly unrepresented in UK domestic politics. Not even by Chuka's new independent party.

I don't do hard truths only for the Leave side.

I think the 48% has actually done a huge amount.

Weve been patient, we’ve let A50 be triggered, we’ve made sure due process is followed and those actions at the end of the day are the only ones that have (temporarily)impeded the process. We have given every chance for a Brexit deal to be reached and many of us if it came to it would have supported a EEA-style deal.

Weve been dignified and restrained, and approached this not much unlike the EU27. Our red lines have always been there and haven’t altered. Of the different groups within the electorate we are the most coherent, and that is going to count when it comes to the crunch.

Edited by I1L2T3

4 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Weve been patient, we’ve let A50 be triggered, we’ve made sure due process is followed and those actions at the end of the day are the only ones that have (temporarily)impeded the process. We have given every chance for a Brexit deal to be reached and many of us if it came to it would have supported a EEA-style deal.

Weve been dignified and restrained, and approached this not much unlike the EU27. Our red lines have always been there and haven’t altered. Of the different groups within the electorate we are the most coherent, and that is going to count when it comes to the crunch.

The 48% have done a huge amount? Really?

I'll give you 3 without a shadow of hesitation: (i) Gina Miller put her own money where her beliefs in parliamentry due process were; (ii) likewise the small group spearheaded by Scottish MSP Andy Wightman and the Good Law Project about the Article 50 challenge and revocability; (iii) Ken Clarke.

That's it. Who and what else?

The 48% collectively didn't do any of what you listed: patience/restraint/being dignified in context are justother words for apathy, particularly dumb since the Article 50 clock has been running along; "letting" Article 50 be triggered was the dumbest thing of them all, given its irremediable effects as regards Brexiting and empowering the ERG beyond their wildest dreams; due process has not actually been followed (Miller's efforts were in vain) and you can witness the full extent of it as May, straight-jacketed by the ERG and the DUP kingmakers as she has been, continues to impede Parliamentary action and set the theme and pace of debates and votes without breaking the barest of sweats. The rest of it has just been happening as the 48% just looked on.

Because the 48% has been unrepresented since 24 June 2016 (but for a handful of politically-irrelevant LibDem MPs), and still is.

The 48% were, and still are, sleepwalking under some blind faith that "others" (industry, government, MPs,...) won't let Brexit happen, never mind a no deal version of it. Well, how's that been working for them over the past 2 years, while the UK's been harmorraging FDI, top tier jobs, HNWIs <etc>?

The 48% needs to wake up. May really means to Brexit on her terms, for tying her loose policy end of curbing immigration to the low tens of thousands at last (then she'll quit - you just watch). The EU27 are not coming to your remaining rescue, no more than German car manufacturers will come to Brexiteers' economical rescue. But the EU27 will help the 48%, when the 48% decide to do something about rescuing themselves: they need legitimacy however, and that means majority representation in Parliament.

31 days to go. Anytime you're ready, lads...

EDIT: on the topic of extending Art.50, I have it on good authority that June 30, 2019 would be the absolute latest extended date possible, because of the EU Parliament election issue. So you're looking at shifting the cliff edge by 3 months maximum, at best. You might also want to look at Spain and France 's messages of today, about the strings attached to granting an extension in the first place. If Parliament rejects May's deal again (11 March), rejects no deal (12 March), and then votes for her extension (13 March), then the options of a 2nd referendum, a significant renegotiation (Corbyn's deal) and unilateral revocation of A50 will be gone: the choices then would go from '3 options, Mays Deal, No Deal, or No Brexit' to 'Mays Deal or No Deal'.

Edited by L00b

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

The only significant thing that the Remain side has done since the 2016 People's Vote is to hurl abuse at the working class for not voting how they were instructed. As the Blairite Independent Group is quickly discovering, Remain is politically impotent. 

Just ask the Liberal Democrats.

6 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The only significant thing that the Remain side has done since the 2016 People's Vote is to hurl abuse at the working class for not voting how they were instructed. As the Blairite Independent Group is quickly discovering, Remain is politically impotent. 

We will see about that Leon

Regrettably,other than constantly questioning what the Brexit camp hope to achieve in the future there is not a fat lot that we can do unless the improbable happens and we are granted another referendum.

The issue lies fairly and squarely with the Conservative Government to achieve a settlement that satisfies its members and the Brexit voters.

Are we any closer to this than we were many months ago.

There is one question which remains unanswered on here and that is what benefits will accrue from Brexit.

Well I got some sort of answer from a Welsh Post office manager interviewed on Radio 5.

She said that she approved of immigration but didn’t like being told what to do .

When pressed she cited European dictats regarding what sort of bananas we could buy,and the limit on the power of Hoovers!

She has almost won me over.😳

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Really? Just check my post history for the ample constructive warnings about the consequences of Brexit. Hell, I even started this thread with a constructive comment - I am still waiting for a plan, how about one of those Car Boot?

40 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Really? Just check my post history for the ample constructive warnings about the consequences of Brexit. Hell, I even started this thread with a constructive comment - I am still waiting for a plan, how about one of those Car Boot?

The 'plan', as you put it, is to administer a devastating blow to global finance capitalism.

The Brexit vote, against the clear instruction of the elites,  has already weakened the European market economies and is leading to ordinary people questioning the sanity of being a part of a competitive economic system that depends upon perpetual growth to concentrate power, wealth and arms into the hands of the few.

19 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The 'plan', as you put it, is to administer a devastating blow to global finance capitalism.

The Brexit vote, against the clear instruction of the elites,  has already weakened the European market economies and is leading to ordinary people questioning the sanity of being a part of a competitive economic system that depends upon perpetual growth to concentrate power, wealth and arms into the hands of the few.

By making people poorer and using a north Korean business model that will be better will it? Do you think Tory PM Theresa May will start a mass programme of nationalisation on the 29th of March or leave it a week?

31 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Good luck with that pal, you aren't going to get a bean extra when we exit the EU, quite the opposite I think you will find. Business will survive, the only people you are  punishing are the poor, As to the arms, Might come in handy when I am protecting my hard earned property ;).  You need to get over your sense of entitlement. carry on in your cloud cuckoo land, I guarantee  it will get you no where.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Excellent plan, worked a charm in the Soviet Union. Only more than a million purged under Stalin in 37-38.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

I don't think that's what BoJo, Rees-Mogg, Farage etc have in mind.

"We'll keep the hedge fund flying here".

Edited by Longcol

10 hours ago, Car Boot said:

This is hilarious.  The "plan", from the rich white boys clamoring for the exit is to damage their own interests is it?  And simultaneously you imagine that the UK is so important that diminishing our position on the world stage, making trade harder for ourselves and driving our economy into recession will someone have some global impact.

You're just off your head, you've no idea what you're talking about.