Does anyone still eat tripe?

I can remember a tripe stall in Castle Market. You could buy plates of tripe to eat standing at the counter.

I’m sure the stall was there just weeks before the old market closed.

I have only been in the new moor market a few time, can’t remember seeing a tripe stall.

I liked tripe with salt and vinegar too also cow heel, which was also good added to a stew. However my favourite was bag and chitterlings,with lots of salt and vinegar and bread and butter, but like some posters have said, not sure if I could handle it today. My grandad who worked part-time in an abattoir(he was a coal miner) used to say when he saw me eating that stuff, " If tha saw weer that come from tha'd never touch it agean":D

My old neighbour puts cow heel in her stew, she says it’s makes the stew nice and thick and gives it flavour.

The Hillsboroug Morrison’s use to sell tripe and cow heel in sealed packets.

"Honeycombe" tripe is the tenderest.

Still get tripe at Wateralls in the market

Dogs love it.

Dogs love it.

Its good for them . mine have it everyday .

Disinfectant? That's probably due to Health & Safety.?

Disinfectant ? Perhaps they should rename it Bovine innards a la Izal.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 18:54 ----------

My dad used to have tripe and

nd Cow heel every Saturday,he died relatively young.

Edited by St Petre
Spell

A quick google produced this helpful piece of information.

" Tripe is available in several forms, the bovine stomach has four compartments, two are used in the production of dressed tripe ('scalded & bleached').

The first resembles a honeycomb (reticulum) and that is where the name is drawn from, it is the preferred trip for eating raw, with pepper and vinegar to taste.

Seam tripe is a much larger stomach (omasum), it is usually cooked in milk and seasoned with pepper.

Raw tripe can be cut into strips and deep fried, when cooked it has the consistency of Scampi! "

Angel1.

"Honeycombe" tripe is the tenderest.

That's the one I didn't like and there was one that was grey coloured to the rest being white, I wouldn't try that one because of the colour.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 23:35 ----------

I liked tripe with salt and vinegar too also cow heel, which was also good added to a stew. However my favourite was bag and chitterlings,with lots of salt and vinegar and bread and butter, but like some posters have said, not sure if I could handle it today. My grandad who worked part-time in an abattoir(he was a coal miner) used to say when he saw me eating that stuff, " If tha saw weer that come from tha'd never touch it agean":D

That was another one of my favourites, chattering and bag with salt and vinegar but the last time I tried it I could taste what ever they clean it with. I suppose it's all this health and safety but I can never remember anyone getting ill with this in the past, there's more people been ill with oysters and mussels.

My Mum and Dad loved tripe - had to be honeycomb, served raw with salt and vinegar. My brother, in the forces, on occasional weekend pass, would hitch-hike home to save money and always asked for a pan of tripe and onions (cooked) to be waiting for him - whatever time of day or night. Never touched it myself, looks are enough to put me off.

I tried chitterlings as they sounded scrummy.

Well, the smell as they cooked was disgusting.

It smelled as if the pig had had diarrhoea in the frying pan.

Into the dustbin they went.