Are people sending texts ignorant..or is it me?

No, it's not. Just like turning off an iPhone is 'impossible' because it turns itself back on if someone sends you a text or calls you, but if you put it in airplane mode, that makes them all go away.

Family rule is family rule. They can turn it off or have it taken off them.

That's the way we do it, if we have a family "do" phones are left in cars or back at their homes. We have a home phone for emergencies and that's all that is necessary. The same rule applies to one on one visits.

That's the way we do it, if we have a family "do" phones are left in cars or back at their homes. We have a home phone for emergencies and that's all that is necessary. The same rule applies to one on one visits.

H’m, left in cars eh? Where abouts do you live by the way? :hihi:

That's not allowed in our family. The young people can have time on their phones, but not during dinner or family time. A conversation does need at least two participants and it needs them to be able to hear as well as speak.

There's no reason in the world why anybody can't send a message of 'Can't chat, speak later' is there?

To be clear, his daughter dropped in, he's 64, she's presumably at around the age of 40. So she's not a "young person" and telling her how to behave is likely to see her visiting less often for a cup of tea.

OP She was texting when you walked back into the room, you tried to interrupt her.

Personally, I must be a similar age to your daughter and I occasionally make or receive texts or whatsapps whilst at my parents. I normally say, "oh it's x, hang on a second" and then send a reply.

I still spend the majority of the time talking to my parents, despite the interruptions.

It's quite simple. If you butt into someone's conversation then you are being rude. Just because that conversation is being carried out via text message is irrelevant.

On the flip side if you're in the midst of a spoken conversation and one party pops out their phone to start reading/sending texts without an apology or anything then they are being rude.

I don't answer a text if someone has called round I look later when they have gone. I remember a few years ago went to a friends one afternoon there were about 8 of us and one of my mates gf at the time just sat there all afternoon on her phone. I remember after they had gone somebody said how rude was that, I cant remember her saying much all the time she was there was more interested with her phone.

Edited by iansheff

I’ll go one better. This happens all the time. When we’re out for a coffee my wife always grabs the chair at the table with her back to the wall facing outwards into the café so she can see what’s happening. She then proceeds to text endlessly which leaves me looking at a blank wall and a blank human being head down texting. If I bought a newspaper and just read it silently I’d be described as rude and ignorant. :rolleyes: