What is equality to you?

Message added by Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Broadening out the meaning of equality, a friend of mine has taken her special needs daughter to vote today.

She has just turned 18, but I don't believe she has the mental capacity to decide who to vote for.

Around 10% of school children have SEN, mental or physical disabilities.

Maybe her mother is a better judge of that than you?

Broadening out the meaning of equality, a friend of mine has taken her special needs daughter to vote today.

She has just turned 18, but I don't believe she has the mental capacity to decide who to vote for.

Around 10% of school children have SEN, mental or physical disabilities.

What "mental capacity" do you think she should have to be entitled to vote?

I don't think we can have that as a criteria, it was just an observation.

We do actually, under the 1918 Representation of the People Act, you cannot register as an elector if you are “an idiot; a lunatic… [or] an imbecile who is not compos mentis” – but you may register and vote during a “lucid interval”.)

Did your observations confirm any of the above?

Edited by SnailyBoy

but I don't believe she has the mental capacity to decide who to vote for.

I don't believe that many members of this forum have the necessary critical reasoning or analytical skills to decide who to vote for in a meaningful way, but we have to let you them vote anyway.

• 3 months later...

Women are 35% more likely to go to university than men. Why is this 'unfairness' not being addressed?

Why do more women go to university? Is it because they can learn at home whilst not working and living a normal life?

Are they more intelligent?

A few years ago there was something on the news about girls getting better A Level grades than boys. It’s because girls worked harder than boys at school. I think the government said it was going to address the problem.

You need A Levels to get into university and if the girls were getting better grades that could be one reason more of them are going to university.

I don’t think the study said it was anything to do with girls being more intelligent, the girls were taking education more serious than the boys.

A few years ago there was something on the news about girls getting better A Level grades than boys. It’s because girls worked harder than boys at school.

People can get a degree without A levels, so that is not the only reason.

A-levels are still the most popular and successful route into university, with just under two-thirds (63%) of UK 18-year-olds applying for degree courses last year studying for three A-levels, that leaves 37%?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35418350