Amazon Prime Now - 2 hour delivery

Try doing 15+ hours a day sometime I do 18 plus commute to and from work

I feel your pain Rudds! My shifts aren't quite as long as 15 hours, but my commute makes it a long day after my 12 hour shifts.

I chose to apply for my job knowing what it entailed so i'm not moaning. (maybe I am a bit :hihi:)

I sympathise with those with long commutes or long shifts or indeed the poor sods who have to endure both. Sounds crap

I did a 7yr stint as a 7.5T multidrop driver back in the mid 90's until early 2000. Back then it was mostly pleasurable and any traffic I encountered I was usually able to bully myself through (big grin) left to go back to construction trade....geez, a daily commute of 2hrs or more just to get to the place of work and then the same on the way home.....after 8yrs I'd had enough.

Luckily I had been wise enough to scrimp and save and whilst friends were out blowing their money on silly cars or whatnot both me and my partner beavered away and managed to pay the mortgage off early (very early) and was at last in a position to apply for a local job which luckily I got and now commute by bicycle..(takes 7min each way) Today I hate driving, truly hate it. I live near shops and have fantastic WiFi so a car is not so important, plus my better half has a car (she now only works PT) - Win Win

I suppose it's what you want out of life, I/we are both happy to just get by and grateful for a couple of family holidays (1 usually abroad) each year plus occasional treats such as days out etc etc. To ask for more would certainly impact our lives, so I ask myself which is more important a happy life or a materialistic life ...selfishly I chose the happy life. Sorry but you only get 1 life I don't wish to waste mine in the "pursuit" of happiness by buying ever more stuff to make myself happy which sadly then leads to the cycle of needing to earn as much as possible to buy more to keep "happy" - sounds bizzare!!

They say content of mind is worth more than all the money in the world - personally I agree, but that's my own personal thought, each to their own.

Back to topic - feel sorry for the self employed Amazon couriers.

Edited by mrcharlie

Although great for consumers, Amazon is a very nasty company. Nasty to work for, nasty for the community, nasty for the tax base.

Small companies cannot compete while paying all the taxes they do and treating their staff fairly. So ultimately they will not, and we can see this effect on our High Street. Once the competition has gone, what will Amazon do?

Amazon never makes any money, pays almost nothing in tax, works people till they quit, warns people for going to the toilet too long etc etc

Although great for consumers, Amazon is a very nasty company. Nasty to work for, nasty for the community, nasty for the tax base.

Small companies cannot compete while paying all the taxes they do and treating their staff fairly. So ultimately they will not, and we can see this effect on our High Street. Once the competition has gone, what will Amazon do?

Amazon never makes any money, pays almost nothing in tax, works people till they quit, warns people for going to the toilet too long etc etc

I question whether Amazon is such a bargain these days

The £20 min spend or sign for prime has resulted in me spending my money elsewhere on several occasions.

The stress for the final couriers to hit Amazon deadlines and the fact that Amazon sends out feelers to ensure the customer is happy - note the feelers in my case were sent out the day the items were due to arrive!!

Yes, I must agree with your "nasty" comments - I feel the same entirely.

Just to add....

I don't particularly care for the fact that Amazon controls my phone (iphone) if I do a search in Safari and it brings up Amazon and I then click the link, the Amazon app is then opened in safari which seems to lock it down and prevent me back scrolling to the original search. I've had this happen too many times and suspect I will delete the app but keep my Amazon account, just so I can control my phone.

It isn't a big issue, but I feel it's totally unwarranted.

Edited by mrcharlie