Bus Lane - 11 police offences no charges

I was coming up chesterfield road behind a police car time approx. 4.45pm

and traffic moving at a slow pace,then the road has a bus lane 4.30pm-6.30pm as we carry on 8 cars not taxis all miss used this lane and 3 bikes coming down on opposite side with no lights,the police car stayed in the lane ,didn't stop anyone and carried on until they got to woodseats station,as they turned I could see they were in uniform,do they just photo the cars and send them a ticket later or is it not worth the time to prosecute

them,just seemed odd.any thoughts?

I was coming up chesterfield road behind a police car time approx. 4.45pm

and traffic moving at a slow pace,then the road has a bus lane 4.30pm-6.30pm as we carry on 8 cars not taxis all miss used this lane and 3 bikes coming down on opposite side with no lights,the police car stayed in the lane ,didn't stop anyone and carried on until they got to woodseats station,as they turned I could see they were in uniform,do they just photo the cars and send them a ticket later or is it not worth the time to prosecute

them,just seemed odd.any thoughts?

Bus lane misuse and ignorant cyclists are a bug bear of mine but to be fair to plod you dont know they were not on some important journey. They may have been on the way back from collecting vital evidence for an important case.

They could have also been on the donut run but Id like to give them the benefit of the doubt. Think about it though, was the bus lane even in force on a Sunday? If not this does not excuse the selfish and dangerous actions of the bike riders but it would explain the actions of the car drivers.

Its frustrating to see motorists refusing to drive in the bus lane when its not active. The signs clearly state when its a bus lane, but outside of these time motorists still refuse to use it, I have no idea why.

I can tell you one reason why, because active bus lane times aren’t consistent across the city.

Some bus lanes are active at certain times in the morning on weekdays, others are active at certain times in the evening, while others are active 24 hours a day seven days week.

Therefore if you’re in a part of town that you don’t visit very often, why take the risk of driving on a bus lane and getting hit with a nice big fine ?

Also since many bus lanes allow parking when they're not operating, if you do drive in the bus lane you end up having to cut in and out of the line of traffic who are refusing to go in the bus lane.

It's a pain in the backside and using the bus lane doesn't gain much since by definition it's off peak time anyway.

Actually I think the law need changing and motorists should be allowed to use them when no busses are present in them. It would have the advantage of speeding up the flow of traffic.

And when a bus comes along, will the traffic in the bus lane just evaporate?

---------- Post added 24-12-2017 at 23:00 ----------

Therefore if you’re in a part of town that you don’t visit very often, why take the risk of driving on a bus lane and getting hit with a nice big fine ?

If you can't read signs then should you be allowed to drive at all?