Hillsborough Morrisons car park

sounds awfull boy racers using a supermarket car park some one could get hurt

If you spend 2 hours in a supermarket then maybe its time to consider getting a life

Hardly surprising in this day and age to see this happen really.

I think those hit hardest by this move would be those connected with Hillsborough College. They have limited parking down there and regularly tell prospective visitors that free parking is available in the upper tier of Morrisons car park.

If the cameras have only gone up to deter or prevent criminal damage and anti social behaviour then I take my hat off to Morrisons, however if the cameras have gone up to allow for parking enforcement by one of these third party companies , then I personally would never back such a move as I consider them pests.

I work for a SY council so have a very good idea of what goes on and what doesn't. Daily, we / they work towards generating more money for town centers (Rotherham and Sheffield for instance) and by doing so, ideas of generating that money are floated around. Asking 2 or 3 private businesses to tighten up on their parking policies is not a conspiracy theory ffs. Like I say, I know more about the Rotherham cases than Sheffield.

Are you suggesting that the council have quietly asked a national supermarket chain to self off a car park at one specific location, to reduce the length of time that parking is available as some sort of "money making scheme for the city centre", which happens to be 3 miles away... :huh:

Or is it more likely that Morrisons, suffering in the current economic climate, spotted an opportunity to get some capital from selling off car parks with a rider of free use for customers in perpetuity.

Which is more likely.

If you spend 2 hours in a supermarket then maybe its time to consider getting a life

Nuff said!

:huh:

Hmmm...

... or maybe it's time for the supermarket to employ more checkout staff? :roll:

i don't get it, why would any company buy a car park that they cannot charge for? How do they get a return on their capital plus maintenance, insurance etc.

Unless they expect to make back there money in fines for parkers exceeding a specified time, but its hard to believe that many people will make such a mistake if its clearly signposted.

I thought the "fines" were supposed to be the car park owners recuperating their loss revenue, if its free for everybody then there's no loss to recuperate.

Or does the council pay the company to run the car park, there's some sense that a part of the business rates paid by the shops in Hillsborough pays for a car park that their customers use.

I thought the "fines" were supposed to be the car park owners recuperating their loss revenue, if its free for everybody then there's no loss to recuperate.

It was established in court recently that it's acceptable for the charges to generate profit for the parking company.

In essence even though there was no lost revenue to claim for they're still allowed to turn a profit.

Unless they expect to make back there money in fines for parkers exceeding a specified time, but its hard to believe that many people will make such a mistake if its clearly signposted.

You'd think so but its amazing how many people get caught daily. If you're on Facebook, look at the "Angry People in Local Newspapers" page, its full of numpties crying to the newspaper because they can't follow instructions or see double yellow lines.

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/news/15357620.Irate_drivers_threatening_to_boycott_car_park_over_unfair_fines_might_be_owed_a_refund/

This is my favourite - "faded lines":

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/i-sue-council-says-motorist-116550

It scares me that these people are actually on the road.

Imagine admitting you work for the council on Sheffield Forum, unlike some who pretend they know everything but darent back it up with facts or answer relevant questions.

I'm getting attacked from several angles here and I'm confused and frustrated. I've reported 1 or 2 people in this thread.

I've clearly made my stance. I work for a council (not Sheffield) and we have been reaching out to places for years in regards to them tightening up their parking policies. No, we've never told them to "shut down their car park" so I can't relate to this particular Morrisons. The login behind it, well, there's lots of logic to it, but one of the primary reasons and what I believe, is to enforce less free parking so people can't just park in a supermarkets car park, get out, and walk to the local shops / area.

I'm not here for any arguments. I'm offering insight. If you don't want to take it, please don't bad mouth me.

Thank you.

Is this on both levels, or just downstairs?

I have used the TOP level this evening, and can confirm there is a camera placed on a lamp post facing the entrance as you drive in.