Why do we have food banks?

Lots of people refer to the use of food banks, but no one analyses why we have them.

1, Where does this free food come from?

2, Who can get this free food?

3, How did we manage before food banks?

4, Do nurses use food banks?

5, Do food banks supply anything other than food, dog food - toiletries for example.

Fully qualified nurses start on salaries of £21,692 - So do people on £18k use food banks, or maybe £23k?

I once attempted to give out of date food to a food bank, they did not want it.

Are you sure that nobody has asked these questions before... What makes you think that?

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 21:51 ----------

Personally never seen a food bank. The only way a nurse on £21k+ a year is using a food bank is down to poor financial planning on the nurses behalf.

Because a nurse living in London, supporting a family won't have spent most of their money on rent.

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 21:54 ----------

i wonder how many people that use the food banks really truthfully need it???? or is it used as a convenient top up if they meet certain criteria??

A typical response from a tory voter who knows nothing about the subject (not that I'm saying you vote tory, it just fits the pattern).

People using food banks have to be referred, they can't simply choose to go and get some free food.

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 21:57 ----------

ah ,so it was written in a newspaper , must be true then

They give the name of the student nurse they interviewed, they're a respected investigative news outlet...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nurses-forced-to-use-food-banks_uk_5811c59ce4b0ccfc9561bdcc

HCA nurses get paid £19 per hour with Thornbury Nursing Services, 2nd Floor, Fountain House, 4 South Parade, Leeds, LS1 5QX

And that is the minimum, bank holidays the pay is £41.50 per hour.

But that is just the pay rate and still does not mean that they are not on zero hour contracts.

No NHS nurses then, why type of nurse is on a zero hour contract?

Any NHS nurse working through the bank. Of course it's highly likely that they can actually get as many hours as they like. I doubt it's a zero contract hours issue myself.

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 21:59 ----------

Maybe said nurse should have thought more about her finances before she popped out 4 kids and CHOSE to work part time hours.

Lets also not forget that said "poverty" stricken nurse would have only been paying less than £60 a month for her vastly expensive education anyway.

All comes back to that great argument doesn't it. Do some people genuinely NEED to use food banks or are they simply taking advantage because they are there.

Do some people genuinely NEED to be snatching every single benefit, handout, grant, charity service, allowance, discount and freebie or are they simply taking for granted the fact that they are there.

I have said it before and will say it again. Those who scream "proverty" in this country dont know the meaning of the word. Eyes need opening as to what REAL poverty looks like in the world.

I think I've said before that you lack empathy, and you've just demonstrated it again.

Maybe said nurse should have thought more about her finances before she popped out 4 kids and CHOSE to work part time hours.

Lets also not forget that said "poverty" stricken nurse would have only been paying less than £60 a month for her vastly expensive education anyway.

All comes back to that great argument doesn't it. Do some people genuinely NEED to use food banks or are they simply taking advantage because they are there.

Do some people genuinely NEED to be snatching every single benefit, handout, grant, charity service, allowance, discount and freebie or are they simply taking for granted the fact that they are there.

I have said it before and will say it again. Those who scream "proverty" in this country dont know the meaning of the word. Eyes need opening as to what REAL poverty looks like in the world.

Does the nurse in question have four children? I've no idea, that's why I am asking.

I do know there are working people who have had to use food banks. Like everyone else they may have had their fair share of ill fortune, often facing ill health, or bereavement one shortly after the other that's knocked them off course. I'm fortunate that when I came off benefits over 20 years ago and had to wait for my first wage my Mum & Dad helped me out. Others, who may have children to feed, aren't quite so fortunate.

I agree that the poverty of those in the 3rd world look like those experiencing deprivation in the UK nothing. I wonder if the wealthy in Belize or the USA look at our own downtrodden Chief Executives in the UK with pity at the paltry sums of money they earn? Deprivation and wealth is relative.

I also think the use of the phrase 'snatch every benefit' is pejorative. Those benefits are entitlements, not charitable handouts, and they may have made contributions to the system. Would you say about a wealthy person 'do they NEED to be snatching every single tax break and tax cut'. I suspect you wouldn't as you'd say that was their entitlement.

Also worth bearing in mind that many people, who are defined by the Government, as needing benefits and pension top ups don't claim them. Those figures run into the billions each year. I just wonder if the stigma of claiming benefits impacts on that decision not to claim them.

Edited by Mister M

Lots of people refer to the use of food banks, but no one analyses why we have them.

1, Where does this free food come from?

2, Who can get this free food?

3, How did we manage before food banks?

4, Do nurses use food banks?

5, Do food banks supply anything other than food, dog food - toiletries for example.

Fully qualified nurses start on salaries of £21,692 - So do people on £18k use food banks, or maybe £23k?

I once attempted to give out of date food to a food bank, they did not want it.

Do you ever do any research yourself and teach yourself stuff?

1. Its paid for by the charity or its donated directly. Food banks can join an organisation like Trussel who work with manufacturers top take deliveries of excess food stocks.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/

2. It works on a voucher scheme whereby people like social workers, GPs, health workers and CAB advisors can give people they assess are in need a voucher, which can then be taken to a foodbank where they get 3 days worth of basic food.

3. People went without as they do now.

4. All sorts of people use foodbanks. The criteria is they have been assessed by a frontline worker who sees they are in need. Because of the voucher system then nurses wont as of routine use them but believe it or not Nurses and working people can get into trouble just like people on benefits. It might be debt, business failure, family crisis , redundancy that leaves them with no money and no food, but a family to feed. very strange you mention just nurses.

5. Toiletries they will supply. Not sure about fog food, but I imagine they do have a reserve of stuff. they decide what to stock plus they will also get donations.

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 23:09 ----------

i wonder how many people that use the food banks really truthfully need it???? or is it used as a convenient top up if they meet certain criteria??

They are assessed, so they dont get to just apply.

2. It works on a voucher scheme whereby people like social workers, GPs, health workers and CAB advisors can give people they assess are in need a voucher, which can then be taken to a foodbank where they get 3 days worth of basic food.

4. All sorts of people use foodbanks. The criteria is they have been assessed by a frontline worker who sees they are in need. Because of the voucher system then nurses wont as of routine use them but believe it or not Nurses and working people can get into trouble just like people on benefits. It might be debt, business failure, family crisis , redundancy that leaves them with no money and no food, but a family to feed. very strange you mention just nurses.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/

Less than 1% of people use food banks because they are unemployed, does this tell us something?

Around 50% due to benefit changes, maybe that is people that are attempting to work?

1. Its paid for by the charity or its donated directly. Food banks can join an organisation like Trussel who work with manufacturers top take deliveries of excess food stocks.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/

3. People went without as they do now.

5. Toiletries they will supply. Not sure about fog food, but I imagine they do have a reserve of stuff. they decide what to stock plus they will also get donations.

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 23:09 ----------

They are assessed, so they dont get to just apply.

does anyone know the actual criteria????

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 09:17 ----------

Most places make sure they actually do need it. They don't just hand the stuff out willy nilly I beleif you actually have to go several checks before your liable for free food bank help

what are those checks? please

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 09:18 ----------

Why don't you tell us?

no idea thats why i am asking:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 09:22 ----------

You mean a top up from not having food to having food?

Would you have the courage to put your dignity on the line to ask for food?

so do the food bank police come round and sort through your cupboards? order you to open the fridge and freezer?? all i am saying is if you can show that you meet a certain criteria then a food bank is likely to hand out food, irrespective of what you actually have? a bit like the rest of the benefits system? are these food banks run by charities or Government/councils?

does anyone know the actual criteria????

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 09:17 ----------

what are those checks? please

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 09:18 ----------

no idea thats why i am asking:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 09:22 ----------

so do the food bank police come round and sort through your cupboards? order you to open the fridge and freezer?? all i am saying is if you can show that you meet a certain criteria then a food bank is likely to hand out food, irrespective of what you actually have? a bit like the rest of the benefits system? are these food banks run by charities or Government/councils?

They're charities