The character of Sheffield people

Much of the above is correct but we are not Crafty Cockneys, Scally Scousers or as blunt and confrontational a West Yorkshire types, don't mention L**ds.

It's not about business or dressing smartly.

The lack of these traits make the CHARACTER of Sheffield people special.

And it puts Sheffield about 20 or 30 years behind Leeds and Manchester.

---------- Post added 14-07-2017 at 19:02 ----------

You should try talking to people other than business people, might broaden your horizons a bit :wink::wink:

Who are the wealth creators? Certainly not smackrats.

I think a lot of Sheffield's character has to do with its history. It obviously built itself on heavy industry - and that meant a lot of working folk earning good money (and not that many bosses) without the large middle class that Leeds & Manchester had.

That probably helped its laid back pace of life and friendliness - everyone was in the same boat. The flip side is that you don't have so many of the pushy types that you need to build up businesses etc.

The mass employment in heavy industry has long gone and the universities are probably two of its main employers but the character has remained

Are you saying Leeds and Manchester were like Sheffield 20 or 30 years ago? I think not.

Everything in life isn't measured through the prism of money.

Binary judgments rarely give satisfactory conclusions.

Its okay to be different.

Are you saying Leeds and Manchester were like Sheffield 20 or 30 years ago? I think not.

Everything in life isn't measured through the prism of money.

Binary judgments rarely give satisfactory conclusions.

Its okay to be different.

Like it or not, money does matter. Sheffield is the poorest of the core cities on every measure going. A far lower GVA per head of population than either Leeds or Bristol - some £7,000 behind Leeds in the GVA per head of population stakes. No wonder Leeds can support what Sheffield can't, including 16 years into the future a city centre HS2 station.

No, the global economy collapsing right before we were due to be next in line to have our city centre modernised put us behind Leeds and Manchester. I lived in Manchester right before they started work on transforming it and it was no different from Sheffield. We were about to do the same but the economy nosedived and the funding disappeared.

Shiny shoes.. that's what's needed for everyone in sheffield..you heard it first from derby top.

First impressions count. You're not going to turn up to business meetings in scruffy trainers if you're right in the head, are you?

---------- Post added 16-07-2017 at 08:46 ----------

No, the global economy collapsing right before we were due to be next in line to have our city centre modernised put us behind Leeds and Manchester. I lived in Manchester right before they started work on transforming it and it was no different from Sheffield. We were about to do the same but the economy nosedived and the funding disappeared.

Leeds and Manchester faced the same global turmoil as Sheffield. The fact is - in the preceeding years, they were among the first on the ball while Sheffield dithered. Sheffield will take 15 or 20 years to get anything like where Leeds and Manchester currently are, but these cities won't stand still over that time period. They'll move ahead, helped by the new captive HS2 tracks going into their city centres.

Edited by pss60

Who are the wealth creators? Certainly not smackrats.

That's at least 20 or 30 years behind. Thank the university's for keeping Sheffield's head above water.

I would say Sheffield folk are generally open and friendly. They are very resourceful people and don't want/expect much from life. They are happy with things as they are - they don't embrace change or seek it - they make do and mend.

They have a wonderful sense of understatement. Even if something is fantastic the best they will describe it as is, "notbad". Their humour can be very dry and often self-effacing. They are very straight-talking folks and you know where you stand with them, or not.

They are parochial and tend to have few reference points outside of Sheffield. So they'll defend Sheffield to the hilt and think there's nothing wrong with it, even though other cities of this size and smaller have much more to offer in terms of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. They are very cost-conscious and know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Anything that looks like it might be expensive, or "posh", scares them to death. And they really struggle to cope with it. If you live in a good area of the city you can expect to get a reaction when people find out. It's usually a finger under the nose to indicate "snob" - people really are very uncomfortable with the idea that someone might live in a nice house in a nice area of the city. It unsettles them terribly. They hate "posh" or "rich" so if you are either, you need to pretend that you're not otherwise you'll make them feel so uncomfortable they'll never take to you.

That's my experience anyhow.

I'm from Sheffield myself btw and still live in a "posh" area of the city. I'm not posh and I'm not rich. I lived all around the UK and abroad and came back here 20 years ago because despite everything, I think it's a great place to live and especially enjoy the proximity to the beautiful Peak District.

But the people, unfortunately, do hold the city back.

Not all of them - but I'd say definitely the majority.

I think this is a relatively accurate reflection on the city. I'm Sheffield born and bred. I'm 40 now with a young family and thinking of moving back after 20 years in London. There are loads of things I love about the City, the people being one (warm and humorous). That said, I find attitudes often negative or inward looking. In my lifetime I've seen the other major northern cities develop, whilst we've been left behind.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 02:16 ----------

What was the city doing for the 30 years before 2008?

I think Sheffield okay ,scc are iffy,but what about our safety record ,were have a lower crime rate,less drugs,so on that basis although scc could be better ,I would rather live at a slower pace and have less drugs and big crime.

Pages from a Cold Point

Well alot of views all in all. And thanks to every one for them.

And now for my reflections after a little while being here.

I walk to work every day. And on the journey, in either direction, i've never seen a single face which looks happy. This is extremely off putting if i'm honezt. Additionally, i,ve not had a single person volunteer a conversation with me. Agaist that, when i have started conversations, i've found the person personable. So my impression is that Sheffield people hide their light under a bushel.

As for the city and suburbs, if you're young i guess it could be ok. If you're older and came here alone, i havent found a lot of diversion within the city. I'm not interested in spectator sports or shopping. The peaks are nice, but access is limited to weekends if you want to see them in the daylight.

So i guess i'm going to be cursed now, but they're my impressions so far anyway. They may yet change.

Ask for a turnip and they'll give you a swede

Ask for a fishcake and they'll give a you a fish scallop

Ask for a rissole and they'll give you a fishcake

Ask for a ham/bacon/cheese roll and they'll give you your filling of choice in a sort of flat soggy round piece of bread they call a breadcake which sticks behind your teeth

They put gravy on fish and chips .... WTF

arghhh!!!!

They don't wear coats when going out on the town in January using the bus or tram

They like to tip out of the pub at 11pm and consume fish and chips just before going to bed

The local delicacy is a Greggs sausage roll/pasty to be consumed whilst texting and walking round a shopping mall with a child in a pushchair

Many people who use the buses smell of wee

Local fashion is roll up smoking men in football shirts and women in black leggings both sporting hideous tattoos in the most inappropriate places

Smoking is compulsory in Sheffield

The only thriving businesses are Bookies, Cash Converters, Brighthouse, Vaping Salons, Tanning Shops and Charity Shops

Every one with any sense has done one years ago and with probability will not return

My friend, this is Sheffield, arghhhhhh!!!

ha ha the truth !

Hello All

I,m new to this forum and Sheffied. As I,m hunting for somewhere to live and dealing with my new job I,m meeting a lot of new people.

What would you say are the differentiating characteristics of people from Sheffield? The good ones, the bad ones, the unusual ones?

Thanks

Da ducky88

PS if any has a property to let south of crooks and west of the centre, drop me a pm, thanks :-)

The people are very friendly. I moved here from the other side of the Pennines, and immediately felt the difference between here and most Lancashire towns and cities.