The character of Sheffield people

:huh:

Hmmm...

now if only all the people who've moved here were as friendly as the locals... :P

That would be ideal of course!

No charisma in the buildings eh ? :D Kidding aside you are of course correct. You wouldn't believe how many times I wanted to return permanently, during my early years in Canada. When the kids got in their teens it was a none starter as they had grown up here and had tons of friends. Still get the odd inkling, however.

Meadowhall's charisma is worse than that of a public lido with 10,000 toddlers in it! :)

Meadowhall's charisma is worse than that of a public lido with 10,000 toddlers in it! :)

I really dislike Meadowhall. So many people under one roof, and no bargains. I'd rather shop in town. Especially now it's getting done up.:)

I really dislike Meadowhall. So many people under one roof, and no bargains. I'd rather shop in town. Especially now it's getting done up.:)

I started my working life where Meadowhall now stands as an apprentice in 1961 at Hadfields Ltd. I remember my first trip to the complex when I came back for a visit with relatives and could not stop thinking where every shop was standing in relation to my workplace experiences, as I did work in almost every department in my 8/9 years at Hadfields and Osborn Hadfields. I also worked in the old Millspaugh Building next door in the mid 70's, which is also where Meadowhall now sits.

They complain incessantly about someone who is dead called Maggie who is still out to get them and makes nasty things happen from beyond the grave.

They see Thee and Thar a lot so are called DeeDars.

And don't ever say that Stones is crap (it is we all know that) but if you do then it's hanging from a lamppost time.

They are also insanely jealouos of Leeds.

And an intense xenophobic hatred of people from the south.

always ask for a breadcake , not a bap or a roll or whatever they are called where you a from . And welcome to the finest city in this country

It's as much about you as it is about them. If you go the extra mile you'll fit in just fine. I met some really nice trustworthy and friendly people, those that weren't never got the time of day but there weren't that many.

The beer is good,

Hendersons relish highly overrated

Don't ride a bike or drive a diesel car, neither are in vogue

The women are dead honest and down to earth when they talk

There are a few less trees than there used to be but (and you'll hear this a lot) it's still the greenest place in Europe or something like that.

It's true they don't like Leeds but we don't care :D

Enjoy you're stay however long it may be, it's an ok place.

Ask for a turnip and they'll give you a swede

Ask for a fishcake and they'll give a you a fish scallop

Ask for a rissole and they'll give you a fishcake

Ask for a ham/bacon/cheese roll and they'll give you your filling of choice in a sort of flat soggy round piece of bread they call a breadcake which sticks behind your teeth

They put gravy on fish and chips .... WTF

arghhh!!!!

They don't wear coats when going out on the town in January using the bus or tram

They like to tip out of the pub at 11pm and consume fish and chips just before going to bed

The local delicacy is a Greggs sausage roll/pasty to be consumed whilst texting and walking round a shopping mall with a child in a pushchair

Many people who use the buses smell of wee

Local fashion is roll up smoking men in football shirts and women in black leggings both sporting hideous tattoos in the most inappropriate places

Smoking is compulsory in Sheffield

The only thriving businesses are Bookies, Cash Converters, Brighthouse, Vaping Salons, Tanning Shops and Charity Shops

Every one with any sense has done one years ago and with probability will not return

My friend, this is Sheffield, arghhhhhh!!!

Ask for a turnip and they'll give you a swede

Ask for a fishcake and they'll give a you a fish scallop

Ask for a rissole and they'll give you a fishcake

Ask for a ham/bacon/cheese roll and they'll give you your filling of choice in a sort of flat soggy round piece of bread they call a breadcake which sticks behind your teeth

They put gravy on fish and chips .... WTF

arghhh!!!!

They don't wear coats when going out on the town in January using the bus or tram

They like to tip out of the pub at 11pm and consume fish and chips just before going to bed

The local delicacy is a Greggs sausage roll/pasty to be consumed whilst texting and walking round a shopping mall with a child in a pushchair

Many people who use the buses smell of wee

Local fashion is roll up smoking men in football shirts and women in black leggings both sporting hideous tattoos in the most inappropriate places

Smoking is compulsory in Sheffield

The only thriving businesses are Bookies, Cash Converters, Brighthouse, Vaping Salons, Tanning Shops and Charity Shops

Every one with any sense has done one years ago and with probability will not return

My friend, this is Sheffield, arghhhhhh!!!

yes , but its our Sheffield :love:

When I moved here I was amazed at how friendly the city is and it is that because of its people.

Same thing here.

They complain incessantly about someone who is dead called Maggie who is still out to get them and makes nasty things happen from beyond the grave.

They see Thee and Thar a lot so are called DeeDars.

And don't ever say that Stones is crap (it is we all know that) but if you do then it's hanging from a lamppost time.

They are also insanely jealouos of Leeds.

Only called 'Dee Dars' by the people from the Chesterfield area, there are not many of them and they're in Derbyshire so croat77 should be ok !

Edited by stpetre
Add

I have never seen Sheffielders the way "Sedith" describes. Nor any feelings of jealousy about Leeds or any other city. If I had any general comment about Sheffielders, it would be that they were inward looking for the most part, not outwardly doing comparisons. Are you sure you're in Sheffield ?

Hendersons is the best !

Hendersons relish highly overrated

I banish thee heretic! Never darken our doors again. :hihi:

People in Sheffield are much the same as people in any large urban area. Most are nice, some are not. Most are tolerant, friendly and willing to treat new people with respect whilst a few aren't. You'll find all the usual rivalries with neighouring towns and cities, sports teams, neighbourhoods but it's mostly friendly banter (see the DeeDar or L**ds comments above).

Some people will have snobbish views of other parts of Sheffield and might tell you there are no-go areas but they're mostly talking rubbish, others will moan about the council at the drop of a hat. You'll find that moaning is one of the chief hobbies of some people, especially if you spend time on here a lot. Leave them to it, they're quite happy... :D

Don't be offended if someone calls you 'love', they're not being patronising. In Sheffield it's a non-gender specific pleasantry.

Welcome to Sheffield. You get out of it what you put in, just like life.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon