The character of Sheffield people

That real ale that beards down kelham go on about makes me <removed> mi sen wi laughter . They hold it up tut light ,look at it and pretend that they can actually see through it before taking a girly sip and letting it soak into beard where it mingles with the blooody awful smelly sushi that they had for breakfast.

I,ve got to admit the whole real ale thing bores me.

And as for the lower lip fungus, I,ve often thought that hygiene must be a problem. Still saves of the carrier bags - carrying bits of lunch, dinner, last year's anniversary party with you.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 12:02 ----------

I would say Sheffield folk are ...

Anything that looks like it might be expensive, or "posh", scares them to death. And they really struggle to cope with it. If you live in a good area of the city you can expect to get a reaction when people find out. It's usually a finger under the nose to indicate "snob" - people really are very uncomfortable with the idea that someone might live in a nice house in a nice area of the city. It unsettles them terribly. They hate "posh" or "rich" so if you are either, you need to pretend that you're not otherwise you'll make them feel so uncomfortable they'll never take to you.

That's my experience anyhow.

I'm from Sheffield myself btw and still live in a "posh" area of the city. I'm not posh and I'm not rich. I lived all around the UK and abroad and came back here 20 years ago because despite everything, I think it's a great place to live and especially enjoy the proximity to the beautiful Peak District.

But the people, unfortunately, do hold the city back.

Not all of them - but I'd say definitely the majority.

It's not just Sheffield that has this. I ,ve lived in quite a few different places and the only two where I didn't notice such were Birmingham and London.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 12:12 ----------

A very interesting summary of Sheffield people from DerbyTup. He/she says that the majority of city people "Hold Sheffield back." Food for thought, questions abound.

Do they really? What about the SCC ? How important is their influence ? Do they need a counter balance ? Is the hold back purposeful, ie, they are concerned about moving quickly ? Or in a direction they cannot control ? Do new arrivals want the status quo ?

I thought I had seen very significant change, although slow, over the past 20-30 years for the better.

Maybe the SCC or the Chamber of Commerce should conduct a survey about the city's changes and direction and make it public ?

I think you,ve put it well. Future events are by necessary accompanied by uncertainty. Things could be neutral better or worse. If you are not controlling the direction, you cannot stop it if it starts to go wrong. And there something of an air gap between what the locals want and what councils and government deliver.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 12:16 ----------

nowt wrong with Sheffield except Sheffield council are a bit iffy at times,we have top fish/chip shops,great Yorkshire fish cakes,top Yorkshire puddings,top hendos relish,great

football club swfc,nice indoor market,great takeaways,great Yorkshire tea,top festivals all over the city,tramlines,we are friendly,a great sense of humour,we have this great forum,we have meadowhall,so mostly its a great city enjoy

I haven't to a good chip shop since the 70s. These days you just soggy cardboard chips.

When they were cooked in lard, you got a delicate light crispy skin Be moist fluffy interior. The chips you get these days arent worth having from most chippies. Or are they.

Does any know a chippy which fries in late or dripping in Sheffield?

Sheffielder's are stubborn and generally fear change.

They reminisce about the good old days and past glories even though alot of those days are deeply depressing.

Luckily the universities and Students have dragged the city into the 21st century.

They have continually voted in a Labour council that cares more about cycle lanes than business development and jobs which has seen Leeds being the choice of businesses in Yorkshire.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

I like Stones, and Magnet and l don't drink none of that girly lager...

It's not like the old jungle juice :cool:

Welcome to daducky 88. May you live to see the Owls or the Blades win the European championship !!!

Yes many from the outside have moved to Sheffield so that must engineer some DNA changes. When I was a lad in Attercliffe, a few years ago ! I only remember an Irish family (good fit pleasant people) and a lady from Belgium. All the rest "Deedars" as Obelix said.

If I was to estimate I would say the influx has been for the better of the city. Whoever the future non "DeeDars" are though, they must be prepared to integrate into the mix and become part of the team.

Thank you very much. I like local accents. Heard a nice on from an old man working in a hardware store in Evesham. I estimated the accent he had probably had changed little in hundreds of years in the area. Kind of gives you a sense of context

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 12:49 ----------

I started my working life where Meadowhall now stands as an apprentice in 1961 at Hadfields Ltd. I remember my first trip to the complex when I came back for a visit with relatives and could not stop thinking where every shop was standing in relation to my workplace experiences, as I did work in almost every department in my 8/9 years at Hadfields and Osborn Hadfields. I also worked in the old Millspaugh Building next door in the mid 70's, which is also where Meadowhall now sits.

I bet that must have been a bit of a strange experience.

Personally I think the sale of other countries' produce rather than the manufacture of our own is a failure of economic planning, if such exists at all in the UK. However a pair Loakes costs £190. A pair of mass produced, probably imported shoes £20.

re - chippy bit theres plenty that cook in beef dripping and use handmade batter top ones I know of are robs at greenhill,woodseats fisheries,the back of the moor and the market and Attercliffe road chippy,so getting good chips cooked in dripping is not a problem.there must be others??

Now to me breadcake as we had it as children was a delicious lump of lard, spices, sugar flour and maybe a little dried fruit. Whenever I draw near the bakery, I always tried to get my parents to deviate and get their shopping somewhere near so they could hopefully notice me looking quietly mournful at being on the wrong of the glass outside the baker's. :-)

I,ll have no part of this bread roll as a cake caper. Puh, nonsense. Mere puff of wind. No substance in it at all. England didn't build the empire on such waffle. What it needed then and needs now is a good lump of spiced floured sweetened lard! Delicious. That,LL put the Europeans in their place. ;-)

How dare you . Its a breadcake , and always will be . Now get with the programme or begone

our buildings may not be great but our people are

I would say Sheffield folk are generally open and friendly. They are very resourceful people and don't want/expect much from life. They are happy with things as they are - they don't embrace change or seek it - they make do and mend.

They have a wonderful sense of understatement. Even if something is fantastic the best they will describe it as is, "notbad". Their humour can be very dry and often self-effacing. They are very straight-talking folks and you know where you stand with them, or not.

They are parochial and tend to have few reference points outside of Sheffield. So they'll defend Sheffield to the hilt and think there's nothing wrong with it, even though other cities of this size and smaller have much more to offer in terms of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. They are very cost-conscious and know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Anything that looks like it might be expensive, or "posh", scares them to death. And they really struggle to cope with it. If you live in a good area of the city you can expect to get a reaction when people find out. It's usually a finger under the nose to indicate "snob" - people really are very uncomfortable with the idea that someone might live in a nice house in a nice area of the city. It unsettles them terribly. They hate "posh" or "rich" so if you are either, you need to pretend that you're not otherwise you'll make them feel so uncomfortable they'll never take to you.

I'm from Sheffield myself btw and still live in a "posh" area of the city. I'm not posh and I'm not rich. I lived all around the UK and abroad and came back here 20 years ago because despite everything, I think it's a great place to live and especially enjoy the proximity to the beautiful Peak District.

Too right. And it seems to describe much of South Yorkshire.

[/color]

I would say Sheffield folk are generally open and friendly. They are very resourceful people and don't want/expect much from life. They are happy with things as they are - they don't embrace change or seek it - they make do and mend.

They have a wonderful sense of understatement. Even if something is fantastic the best they will describe it as is, "notbad". Their humour can be very dry and often self-effacing. They are very straight-talking folks and you know where you stand with them, or not.

They are parochial and tend to have few reference points outside of Sheffield. So they'll defend Sheffield to the hilt and think there's nothing wrong with it, even though other cities of this size and smaller have much more to offer in terms of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. They are very cost-conscious and know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Who holds it back other than you.. ??

Snob

Edited by WestTinsley

Welcome to daducky 88. May you live to see the Owls or the Blades win the European championship !!!

Yes many from the outside have moved to Sheffield so that must engineer some DNA changes. When I was a lad in Attercliffe, a few years ago ! I only remember an Irish family (good fit pleasant people) and a lady from Belgium. All the rest "Deedars" as Obelix said.

If I was to estimate I would say the influx has been for the better of the city. Whoever the future non "DeeDars" are though, they must be prepared to integrate into the mix and become part of the team.

You would have to be Immortal to see either sides win owt :hihi:

re - chippy bit theres plenty that cook in beef dripping and use handmade batter top ones I know of are robs at greenhill,woodseats fisheries,the back of the moor and the market and Attercliffe road chippy,so getting good chips cooked in dripping is not a problem.there must be others??

Thank you very much. I,ll report back on chip skin delicacy, interior moisture, taste and moreishness.

Your list is an asset to all. Ta.