Reporting drivers

Give the guy a break, there was no danger and the filter light should have been on. He's only trying to earn a living.

It 'should' have been on why? If you think a light 'should' be green does that make it okay to jump it?

Honestly, I've never heard such a lot of terrible excuses for inexcusable driving.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 14:36 ----------

Looks to me like the red light doesn't apply to the left turn and that the taxi decides to go left instead of going straight on. :huh:

In what way do you think that the red light doesn't apply? :huh:

It 'should' have been on why? If you think a light 'should' be green does that make it okay to jump it?

It wouldn't have been the first set of lights in Sheffield with a dead bulb.

Now I have no idea whether it was the case or not, but it is possible for the main red light to remain on and the sequence to produce a simultaneous green left filter.

If the bulb has gone, a regular driver may know that the oncoming tram (from the left) means that the left filter should be lit.

Give the guy a break, there was no danger and the filter light should have been on. He's only trying to earn a living.

So someone who's trying to earn a living should be given a free pass every time they want to break the law because they are trying to earn a living? If it was a guy on benefits would you be pressing for his head?

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 15:05 ----------

It wasn't specifically about driving, but the notion of us all generally "policing each other" is straight out of 1984.

Why not? What am I missing here? If you agree with the laws we have then why wouldn't people be expected to assist the police uphold them?

It wouldn't have been the first set of lights in Sheffield with a dead bulb.

Now I have no idea whether it was the case or not, but it is possible for the main red light to remain on and the sequence to produce a simultaneous green left filter.

If the bulb has gone, a regular driver may know that the oncoming tram (from the left) means that the left filter should be lit.

It's the best excuse I've heard yet, but I suspect that even if you're correct then legally he should have waited until the main set went green.

In Canada USA it is usually allowed to make a right turn on a red light as long as you stop and look first before making that turn and there is no sign disallowing it on that junction.

No need to cry about it.

In some countries, homosexuality or adultery are punishable by stoning so no need to make a song and dance if you see someone being stoned to death down Fargate, presumably?

No it shouldn't. The filter light does not come on in those circumstances < Fact

The red light applies to the left turn as well as straight ahead as there is also a pedestrian signal crossing the left turn lane < Fact

The pedestrian crossing man MAY also be on green at that moment < Guess

Edited by Squiggs

It wasn't specifically about driving, but the notion of us all generally "policing each other" is straight out of 1984.

Well, of course, there's a sensible balance to be had.

If I saw someone reckless driving and almost colliding with a child (or anyone) for example; am I being a puppet of the state by reporting it? Or am I engaging with society in a way that hopefully makes it a safer better place for all? (well, better for all apart from reckless idiots who put others in danger)

Edited by Waldo