US attack Syrian air-base with 59 cruise missiles

Peter Ford is just the sort of simpering hand-wringer that bullies like Assad and Putin love. It reminded me of Neville Chamberlains 'Peace in our time' moment just before the start of the WWII.

Turkish medics have confirmed that the victims suffered sarin poisoning.

The Russians have confirmed that Syrian regime aircraft were conducting strikes in the area.

Weapons experts have stated that it is highly improbable that the sarin came from a secret store as the initial explosion would have destroyed the sarin gas.

My personal opinion is that the facts point heavily to a deliberate act by the Syrian regime and that Trumps response, to target the airfield after giving the Russians and Iranians prior warning, was an appropriate and measured response.

So if he had not done this, you would consider him to be a weak man who had fallen short of your expectations of him?

No idea, I don't think Trump or his advisers thought this out really.

No one is going to win the Syrian civil war. The Kurds are the only ones who could (with a lot of support) but Turkey won't allow that and probably with good reason.

The rest are too evil (Assad, ISIS, Al-Nusra) or too weak/fractured.

I completely agree, hence I can't understand what the strikes achieve except peeing off the Russians, which may be an admirable personal goal, but I think in terms of world peace it's not a fab one for the US foreign policy.

if you have interests in gold or oil youll do well out of it

11:16

BBC Business Reporter Lucy Hooker on the market reaction:

The price of oil rose sharply immediately following the US airstrikes on Syria. Syria may not be an oil exporter itself but investors see any trouble in the region as a potential threat to supplies. While the price has since fallen back a bit, the price of a barrel of oil is still around 1.5% higher.

Gold, seen as a safe investment in difficult times, also rose sharply.

And while some Asian share markets rose, most market indexes are now lower. Mid-morning London’s FTSE is down only 0.04% at 7301. But Frankfurt's Dax is 0.6% lower. Paris is down 0.4%.

WE didn't blow hell out of anything. This is down entirely to the Orange Menace. Sadly we still get fingered for it anyway but theres no reason to help!

---------- Post added 07-04-2017 at 10:24 ----------

Improving the polling figures of the Orange Menace is the endgame.

I saw his press statement on the news this morning, some reference to children being a "child of God" or some such nonsense.....didn't realise the Orange one was a such a pious God-botherer...no doubt it appeals to his target market.

I saw his press statement on the news this morning, some reference to children being a "child of God" or some such nonsense.....didn't realise the Orange one was a such a pious God-botherer...no doubt it appeals to his target market.

Child of God, referred to in the song Woodstock.

Another line, 'We are Stardust'

If he carries on like this we will all be stardust. :help:

I completely agree, hence I can't understand what the strikes achieve except peeing off the Russians, which may be an admirable personal goal, but I think in terms of world peace it's not a fab one for the US foreign policy.

I doubt the Russians are really pee'd off. Knowing Trump he probably got Putin's approval beforehand.

if you have interests in gold or oil youll do well out of it

I did. I've just been juggling some investments and dumped a load of stock which then promptly fell so my little overnight switch meant I sold it high and it looks like I'm buying the other stuff low. Happy days I guess.

---------- Post added 07-04-2017 at 11:39 ----------

I don't think he is. But as you say his target markey certainly is - no one is reviled or persecuted as much in the US as an atheist of course.

Firstly he's a known apologist for Assad.

Secondly when he states there is no Western presence on the ground and stories from the site of the attack are just propaganda - well it's tricky when there is a huge article by the Guardian with their journalists right were he said there are none. To then go blithely denying that there is a journalist there is bonkers. I'd take the Guardian over Ford for truth in that instance.

Finally there is his ludicrous assertions over an attack on a UN aid convoy late last year where he dogmatically asserts that the airbourne attack was the rebels. this despite the fact that the rebels had no air power, ahd not had any for a long time - like years - and the Syrians and the Russians both said that only they were flying it wasn't the rebels, and that one of them probably accidentally attacked the convoy (both tactitcly fingered each other basically). No according to Ford it's rebels flying invisible planes.

Peter Ford. Fake news. That's how it starts.

Just because someone lacks credibility, does not automatically follow that everything they say is false and does not merit further investigation..

As I said, this is the first I've heard of Peter Ford.

Now, you're asserting that he has no credibility because of his sympathies towards the Assad regime; well, that's as may be. Still, that doesn't detract from the point that we've seen no evidence of the US claim that Assad has been using chemical weapons against civilians. Have you?

Also, for the record, I haven't claimed that either view (American or Russian) put forth is true or false. Just that we need clarity, and not to automatically assume that whatever it is our media is spouting, is gospel.