US attack Syrian air-base with 59 cruise missiles

Four days ago Trump said they weren't going to insist on Assad stepping down, then all of a sudden Assad inexplicably uses chemical weapons when he is already winning the war.

I know I'm repeating myself but the West is involved in something very dark and dirty in the Middle East and we aren't being told what.

We enforce regime change by getting rid of Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi. Why? What did Iraq ever do to us? And look at the state that Iraq and Libya are in now, failed and smashed up. And are we pretending that Syria will end up in a better state than them if Assad is removed? Because it won't.

There are a lot of different forces at play here but oe is the mutual hatred between Saudi Arabia and Iran; and Syria might have to be got rid of before Iran can be attacked. If Assad does go Iran will be next.

We aren't getting "news" on the Syrian war, we are getting straight propaganda.

He did do it, so my general opinion and expectations of him are irrelevant to this topic. My opinion of what he did do is clear in my post, appropriate and measured.

However, it was Obama who first drew a 'red line' on the use of chemical weapons in Syria and did nothing when they were used, so do you consider him a weak man who had fallen short of your expectations of him?

The last president worthy of the name of leader was Franklin Roosevelt.

And maybe, if they had allowed Kennedy to live, him.

The rest are make weights.

Assad is a vile despot and he doesn't care. The attack on this airfield is justified for the simple reason that if you poison men women and children and he did then you pay the price.

His father was the same,oversaw the murder of thousands a few decades ago.

Yes, but what's the aim? What's the end game here? War with Russia? Saving civilians? Stopping ISIS? Stopping Assad? What?

Some rich people from the United States want to build a gas pipe across Syria. Some rich people from Russia don't want a gas pipe building across Syria

Sometimes war is worth the price, but I don't think this one is yet because as things stand there are just too many players. If we go in we need to go in hard and with a clear long term plan, we cannot risk another Iraq.

This is very different from Iraq. This time I wouldn't worry about having any "long term plans" about anything ever again.

Some rich people from the United States want to build a gas pipe across Syria. Some rich people from Russia don't want a gas pipe building across Syria

Of course it's about oil. Is anything the west interfere with outside of Europe ever about anything else :(

Do you have any links about the pipeline? I'd like a read.

Of course it's about oil. Is anything the west interfere with outside of Europe ever about anything else :(

Opium sometimes.

Do you have any links about the pipeline? I'd like a read.

Zero hedge has some insightful fake news on the subject. I cant post links because I'm new here but you can google "map syria pipeline zero hedge" and find it

Opium sometimes.

Zero hedge has some insightful fake news on the subject. I cant post links because I'm new here but you can google "map syria pipeline zero hedge" and find it

Hmmm, ok but one 'source' isn't really evidence, however ZeroHedge does appear to be a blog run by financiers so isn't a crazy conspiracy theorist site which would blow all credibility instantly. Why are you calling it fake news?

Here's the link for others:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-24/oil-gas-war-over-syria-4-maps

Hmmm, ok but one 'source' isn't really evidence, however ZeroHedge does appear to be a blog run by financiers so isn't a crazy conspiracy theorist site which would blow all credibility instantly. Why are you calling it fake news?

Most of the news sources that I trust the most have been labelled "fake news" including zero hedge. I recommend you get the list of "fake news" websites and add them all to your news feed. Then you will be much better informed.

Is anything that isn't run by financiers a "crazy conspiracy theorist website"? Thank goodness for bankers and rich people keeping us all safe.

Edited by certain

Here's the link for others:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-24/oil-gas-war-over-syria-4-maps

I found this a bit clearer:

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/is-the-fight-over-a-gas-pipeline-fuelling-the-worlds-bloodiest-conflict/news-story/74efcba9554c10bd35e280b63a9afb74

Certainly interesting (and depressing) if there is any truth in it, but I suppose one would have to check their facts to rule out it just being a conspiracy theory with a compelling narrative.