US attack Syrian air-base with 59 cruise missiles

I just don't get it... I read a couple of years ago that each cruise missile costs 1million pounds per launch.. that's 59million pounds, what for. the mind boggles.

Its for destroying planes, tarmac, weapons etc.

Its for destroying planes, tarmac, weapons etc.

Yes, but what's the aim? What's the end game here? War with Russia? Saving civilians? Stopping ISIS? Stopping Assad? What?

I find this whole thing thoroughly unconvincing.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this whole thing makes zero sense. Assad has no pragmatic reason for this.

Why on earth can't we wait for a decent investigation before blowing the hell out of something?

First I'd heard of him on the BBC news this morning (about 8:20 am), so can't comment on any views he's expressed elsewhere.

What he said made a lot of sense, he wasn't automatically assuming that the US version of events re: Assad's use of CWs was true; does that make him a conspiracy theorist? If so, I'm one too!

Firstly he's a known apologist for Assad.

Secondly when he states there is no Western presence on the ground and stories from the site of the attack are just propaganda - well it's tricky when there is a huge article by the Guardian with their journalists right were he said there are none. To then go blithely denying that there is a journalist there is bonkers. I'd take the Guardian over Ford for truth in that instance.

Finally there is his ludicrous assertions over an attack on a UN aid convoy late last year where he dogmatically asserts that the airbourne attack was the rebels. this despite the fact that the rebels had no air power, ahd not had any for a long time - like years - and the Syrians and the Russians both said that only they were flying it wasn't the rebels, and that one of them probably accidentally attacked the convoy (both tactitcly fingered each other basically). No according to Ford it's rebels flying invisible planes.

Peter Ford. Fake news. That's how it starts.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this whole thing makes zero sense. Assad has no pragmatic reason for this.

Why on earth can't we wait for a decent investigation before blowing the hell out of something?

Trump. Losing support handover fist in the US polls. Even his core support is departing him. No power in Congress or the Senate. Has lost every? vote put to them so far on his key policies. He is desperate for a good news story that resonates with voters. Stopping ISIS and/or Assad who is a good scapegoat (not saying he's a good guy BTW) is that good news look at what I've achieved story he wants. Being able to say I stood up for people in Syria with actual weapons and Obama never did is a power play, nothing more. And what's more concerning is it a power play that will have relied up the Russians for no obvious benefit to anyone except Trumps ego. Is a single Syrian now better off thanks to these missiles? Initially I was supportive of the strikes but the moment I looked even a millimetre under the hood it was clear something wasn't right with the official US story.

WE didn't blow hell out of anything. This is down entirely to the Orange Menace. Sadly we still get fingered for it anyway but theres no reason to help!

---------- Post added 07-04-2017 at 10:24 ----------

Yes, but what's the aim? What's the end game here?

Improving the polling figures of the Orange Menace is the endgame.

Air strikes against Daesh in Syria and Iraq are a separate matter.

WE didn't blow hell out of anything. This is down entirely to the Orange Menace. Sadly we still get fingered for it anyway but theres no reason to help!

---------- Post added 07-04-2017 at 10:24 ----------

Improving the polling figures of the Orange Menace is the endgame.

Well yes I know that, but I was questioning was Supertramp thinks is the point of the strikes?

Just heard on the news that the UK Govt fully supports the US action in Syria......

Peter Ford is just the sort of simpering hand-wringer that bullies like Assad and Putin love. It reminded me of Neville Chamberlains 'Peace in our time' moment just before the start of the WWII.

Turkish medics have confirmed that the victims suffered sarin poisoning.

The Russians have confirmed that Syrian regime aircraft were conducting strikes in the area.

Weapons experts have stated that it is highly improbable that the sarin came from a secret store as the initial explosion would have destroyed the sarin gas.

My personal opinion is that the facts point heavily to a deliberate act by the Syrian regime and that Trumps response, to target the airfield after giving the Russians and Iranians prior warning, was an appropriate and measured response.

Just heard on the news that the UK Govt fully supports the US action in Syria......

And most of the rest of Europe,and Putins new best friend Erdogan.

I guess decisive action in a case like this might be judged more important than justice. It might have been the Syrian government.