Using Mobile Phones While Driving - New Laws

An example of phone use whilst driving.

I was on a side road, I came up to a mini roundabout which was on the major road.

I signalled right.

2 cars coming from my left.

First one went by as I hadn't reached the rb and he had plenty of time.

2nd one reached the rb same time as me and to my horror went straight on causing me to do a quick halt.

She was on her phone and hadn't seen me or the rb and she continued chatting for the next mile when she turned off, still chatting!

People still do that even when they're not on the phone.....

Well, I could look for and link ample studies into optimal information conveying in fast-changing environments, into ergonomics, into human perception and reflex speeds, <...>

...but objectively, it doesn't get faster-changing/more stressful than at the controls of a fighter jet or a low-flying attack chopper, and HuDs have been the best-fit solution in that context for decades, universally so (so much so that they are now integrated into pilot helmets/visors, talk about "obscuring vision").

So if it's good enough for them, considering a car only moves in two dimensions, at speeds an order of magnitude or two slower, and car driving requires very significantly less information at hand...I'm always surprised at how little traction Peugeot's early efforts for automotive HuD (in the massmarket context) have gained ;)

Oh I'm in favour hugely. Even if you are looking at a sat nav in your windscreen you are more likely to see the child crossing in front of you than if you are looking completely away from the road to view the same sat nav, I was wondering what the DVLA or VOSAs take on them is?

The online Highway Code has been updated in the last week to include the £200 and 6 points penalty, but no mention of the 45 degrees viewing angle (unless I missed it when linking via the headings on the website).

Thought I'd get a definitive answer - so I asked:

https://www.askthe.police.uk

They said:

"We have never heard of this requirement and whilst it is being widely reported on the internet, there appears to be no legal justification for its use. Please note that the rules in relation to the use of mobile phones have not changed only the penalties have been modified."

I guess sgtkate was right - just somebody trying to explain that you can't put it where it would block your view out of the windscreen :)

This only works when the passenger is a) aware of the road conditions and load placed on the driver, b) capable of understanding it (so most likely a driver themselves).

It's basically a comparison of apples and oranges to reach a foregone conclusion that talking on the phone is worse. But depending on the passenger and situation that isn't the case.

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 09:54 ----------

https://www.fnal.gov/pub/traffic_safety/files/NSC%20White%20Paper%20-%20Distracted%20Driving%203-10.pdf

This acknowledges in a side bar "some conversations with passengers can be distracting".

So, the "passengers don't distract" is actually a best case, based on front seat passengers who are probably drivers themselves. The only other factor that is mentioned is a social pressure that it's 'rude' to not answer when on the phone, perhaps more so than to a passenger who you might be happy to say "one sec" or "shush for a minute".

The passenger is more likely to be aware of road conditions than someone on the end of a phone though.

If I suddenly stop talking to my passenger because I'm negotiating a junction, for example, they're going to understand, where the person on the phone may think they've lost the signal...

I've noticed this week that I've made more wrong turns on my routes when talking to my student than when I'm alone :D

Can we agree that any conversation can be distracting whether within the car or over the air-waves/ether? Also, that any non-driving activity can also be distracting?

Let's hope we all try to mitigate the risks inherent in any of these distractions (shush, hang on! Only changing radio/heater controls etc when absolutely necessary and when in low-risk areas with plenty of space and vision.)

The reason for the crack-downs over the years on phone use comes as a result of the reality of and the potential for a massive increase in distracted activities and distracted drivers. That couldn't/can't be allowed to continue unchecked.

That answers all the "yes, but what about smoking etc ..." negatives.

It seems, though, we may have come to a consensus that hands-free doesn't guarantee any level of safety over and above hand-held since it is the conversation itself that can generate the bulk of any cognitive overload for the driver, particularly if the topic of the conversation asks the driver to "visualise" - a cognitive overload in this part of the brain means that the driver's visual scanning is likely to go on stand-by almost. That ain't healthy when driving, folks!

The passenger is more likely to be aware of road conditions than someone on the end of a phone though.

If I suddenly stop talking to my passenger because I'm negotiating a junction, for example, they're going to understand, where the person on the phone may think they've lost the signal...

I've noticed this week that I've made more wrong turns on my routes when talking to my student than when I'm alone :D

So we've been reduced to speculating that passengers are watching the road and comprehending what's happening.

In reality many passengers won't be (particularly rear seat passengers) and so there is no good basis to claim that talking to a passenger is safer.

So we've been reduced to speculating that passengers are watching the road and comprehending what's happening.

In reality many passengers won't be (particularly rear seat passengers) and so there is no good basis to claim that talking to a passenger is safer.

I hardly think it's speculation to suggest that someone in the vehicle would be more aware of the vehicle surroundings than someone not in the vehicle, is it?

I believe my post indicated that talking to a passenger is also distracting at times :confused:

Out of interest, do you use a mobile phone when driving?

I hardly think it's speculation to suggest that someone in the vehicle would be more aware of the vehicle surroundings than someone not in the vehicle, is it?

I believe my post indicated that talking to a passenger is also distracting at times :confused:

Out of interest, do you use a mobile phone when driving?

Why do all arguments when someone disagrees turns into some pathetic point scoring exercise to try to prove moral superiority? It's annoying, achieves nothing except stifling debate. Whether Cyclone does or doesn't use a mobile phone while driving has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the evidence and data driven answers he's asked for about is there actual scientific evidence that talking on a phone is more detrimental to your driving ability than talking to a passenger. Noone has yet offered evidence that is it...so of course we can ban mobile phone calls and texts whilst driving, handsfree or not, but if talking to a passenger is just as distracting then how are we going to address that? How many people are killed because someone was talking to a child in the back of their car?

And texting is more dangerous than talking.

People are taking no notice of this update on the law … I counted maybe half a dozen people over the last couple of days with a phone stuck to their ear whilst driving, a couple of them lorry drivers.

The smoking ban in cars is also been ignored.

We need a stiffer penalty, 12 month ban and £500 fine might make these idiots comply

People are taking no notice of this update on the law … I counted maybe half a dozen people over the last couple of days with a phone stuck to their ear whilst driving, a couple of them lorry drivers.

The smoking ban in cars is also been ignored.

We need a stiffer penalty, 12 month ban and £500 fine might make these idiots comply

You can make the penalty as large as you want - people don't care as the risk of being caught is minimal.

Well, I could look for and link ample studies into optimal information conveying in fast-changing environments, into ergonomics, into human perception and reflex speeds, <...>

...but objectively, it doesn't get faster-changing/more stressful than at the controls of a fighter jet or a low-flying attack chopper, and HuDs have been the best-fit solution in that context for decades, universally so (so much so that they are now integrated into pilot helmets/visors, talk about "obscuring vision").

So if it's good enough for them, considering a car only moves in two dimensions, at speeds an order of magnitude or two slower, and car driving requires very significantly less information at hand...I'm always surprised at how little traction Peugeot's early efforts for automotive HuD (in the massmarket context) have gained ;)

Skoda also do HUD displays - I followed one the other day.