Sheffield Parkway history

Having read on another site that the Sheffield Parkway opened in 1974. I seem to recall that part of it was there prior to then (1967-68) especially to the west of Prince of Wales Road -towards Manor Park- and east of it,up to Handsworth.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Yes, l am pretty sure that the Parkway was a single carrigeway road prior to that. I think there is a picture of it in the Sheffield Emerging City book published in the sixties.

Yes it was built sometime around 1967 and was a single carriage way from Handsworth to town (I think) To build it they cut down loads of trees called the nursery slopes - they were where the Handsworth roundabout is now.

Parkway originally finished at turnoff for manor lane.

We used to play in the fields where the Parkway was extended on the other side of the roundabout in Handsworth. There was a zebra crossing on the old Parkway just after the roundabout. Remploy was on top of the hill and ran to Manor Lane as stated. I recall the new Parkway being built as we used to play on it.

Parkway originally finished at turnoff for manor lane.

So originally (1967) it went from Manor Lane to Handsworth (Road) ?

Sorry Guys you are all wrong

I have lived in Swallownest until 1967 then in Driffield until 2006 and since then have lived in hot and sunny Malaysia where every day is the same - hot and sunny - today Saturday (8 hours ahead of UK) it is now 10-50am bright sunshine and a low 94 degrees but getting hotter - middle of night will drop to about 82 degrees and no need for costly central heating

I worked in Production Management at J Stead and Co Ltd on Manor Lane from mid 1959 to February 1963.

My original drive was Swallownest, Handsworth, Darnall and almost to Attercliffe Traffic Lights then turn left and along ???? Road, (could it be Woodbourne Road), to Cricket Inn Road and turn left into Steads car park

Corner of the (Woodbourne) Road and Cricket Inn Road on left hand side was a new building at the time - Darwins Bright Steels.

To the right hand side was Sheffield Hide and Skin Abertoir and further along the Cricket Inn pub, which I think was a Stones House at that time

I cannot recall the exact year that the Parkway opened as a non dual carriageway road but it ran from the island at Handsworth (higher up from the White Rose) along to Prince of Wales Road and then terminated at Manor Lane - that made my journey to and from work every day and also when going into the city much quicker and avoided a lot of traffic

Hope this accurate information helps you

Best Wishes - Victor (Marshall Hutchinson)