Dystopia, It's all too awful

Surely to be giving money to governments, you'd first have to be able to actually trust them. Which is a luxury that we take for granted here (despite their often well documented abuse of that trust). But something that a lot of the world simply cannot do. Can you imagine Robert Mugabe or the Sultan of Brunei or Kim Jong Il actually using aid money for the good of their people?

Surely to be giving money to governments, you'd first have to be able to actually trust them. Which is a luxury that we take for granted here (despite their often well documented abuse of that trust). But something that a lot of the world simply cannot do. Can you imagine Robert Mugabe or the Sultan of Brunei or Kim Jong Il actually using aid money for the good of their people?

Some can obviously. Everything will be alright :) (if you are a delusional idealist).

People's answer? Just get rid of them.

Same people who write things like 'Close the door' when talking about immigration.

Or Labour's last manifesto that came through my door which said quote: 'We should get more council houses'

Just get them :roll:

Some can obviously. Everything will be alright :) (if you are a delusional idealist).

People's answer? Just get rid of them.

Same people who write things like 'Close the door' when talking about immigration.

Or Labour's last manifesto that came through my door which said quote: 'We should get more council houses'

Just get them :roll:

Being an idealist is simply a starting point. Something to aim for. And it would benefit everyone if it could be accomplished, so is surely a worthy aim.

My answer was in response to the oft quoted but mistaken idea that sharing wealth is all about 'divvying up' money equally and giving it to individuals, which realistically is never going to work.

However it is government's responsibility to provide the best possible opportunities for their electorate in return for taxes. And what country is going to turn down free money to help build infrastructure?

Edited by Anna B

As I've said before, this is not what I mean.

Food, clean water and shelter should be a basic fundamental human right in the 21st century. We can afford it.

Then I'd like to see the 'divvy up' going to governments with the proviso that it be spent on infrastructure and projects that benefit everybody and give them a decent standard of life.

Then I'd like to see a lot more money going to real charitable foundations to provide what is needed in a local area, which includes money for small business startups etc to provide work if required.

I'd like to see every country have a proper health and welfare system and a fair and honest tax system. Above a very generous allowance of several millions which should be more than enough for anybody, I'd put a cap/tax on personal wealth at 100%

I'd also like to see people encouraged to admire others for the kind of people they are rather than what they're worth, and ambition be to become the best person you can be, rather than the wealthiest by whatever means.

Now who could disagree with this ? A moderate and humanitarian perspective.

Being an idealist is simply a starting point. Something to aim for. And it would benefit everyone if it could be accomplished, so is surely a worthy aim.

My answer was in response to the oft quoted but mistaken idea that sharing wealth is all about 'divvying up' money equally and giving it to individuals, which realistically is never going to work.

However it is government's responsibility to provide the best possible opportunities for their electorate in return for taxes. And what country is going to turn down free money to help build infrastructure?

Loads take free money for infrastructure already. That money isn't always spent on it.

You drastically underestimate the number of kleptocrats operating in the governments of the world.

Loads take free money for infrastructure already. That money isn't always spent on it.

The approach the Chinese take to 'donating' infrastructure seems to work better. They manage and provide engineering for the projects whilst employing local labour.

I think that perhaps we need to crack fusion before we worry too much about making it work at room temperature.

We have cracked fusion - the Americans did so in the early 1950's.

The problem is making it work whilst keeping everything around it at room temperature...:D

The approach the Chinese take to 'donating' infrastructure seems to work better. They manage and provide engineering for the projects whilst employing local labour.

China is quite an interesting example of " State Capitalism " (Tony Cliff ). A layer of bureaucrats that cannot be removed, and a large population of virtually slave labour.

Edited by petemcewan

Fusion will show up one day, it'll be decades though.

Fission is improving all the time and is all but inexhaustible.

I've been surprised and impressed by the advances in LiION batteries. They can't do much about the energy density, but they're sorting out the previously very high costs due to low charge cycle limits. I think my next car in 2-4 years will be electric as I have an appreciation for the advantages of electric motors and I think they'll be cheaper overall by then.

In the mean time we couldn't run out of oil in the next 100 years even if we wanted to.