Why do so many people still speed when driving?

Why do so many people still speed when driving ?

.... because they haven't been caught.... YET.

Why do so many people still speed when driving ?

.... because they haven't been caught.... YET.

Some daft politician thought it was a good idea to paint all the speed cameras bright yellow.

Some daft politician thought it was a good idea to paint all the speed cameras bright yellow.

It dosnt matter what colour they are painted. Everybody knows where they are anyway . And if you are driving somewhere you arnt familiar with, Sat Navs alert you to them anyway so you can slow down .

:hihi:

I've long thought they should be painted the same dull colours as we tend to wear as pedestrians.

Can't get down to 30 by the time you see a camera? You've no chance stopping if someone is in the road.

Just like all the discussions we've all had on the speed camera questions, it'll never be answered. There are too many parameters. The prime thing being 'what are they there for, safety reasons or to earn money?'

As for painting yellow, if the camera is there to reduce people speeding for safety reasons on specific sections of roads where people are regularly killed by speeding motorists, then they should be painted yellow. Shouldn't they? There are generally signs around to say it is there.

-

The problem with this is that many are obviously cash cows. Penistone Road/Neepsend being a good example. As well as the parkway one.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 22:12 ----------

I've long thought they should be painted the same dull colours as we tend to wear as pedestrians.

Can't get down to 30 by the time you see a camera? You've no chance stopping if someone is in the road.

oh please no. They might use those creepy looking things that are on Hatfield House Lane, and just off Herries Road near Tescos :hihi:

Edited by *_ash_*

Is the point to make people slow down at dangerous spots, or to try to catch people out?

Is the point to make people slow down at dangerous spots, or to try to catch people out?

Yes, this was my [intended] point to the earlier post, but I over-typed it.

You never drive over the speed limit then ?

Only by accident, never on purpose. Why would I want to increase the risk to others for my own amusement or to save myself some time ? Isn`t that just selfish ? The only people who get speeding tickets that I have any sympathy with is where the speed limit is unclear, which is why I think there should be far more speed limit repeater signs around*. A good example of this is Ecclesfield Rd (where it runs parallel with the M1), there are loads of speed limit repeater signs, and a very good thing it is. Nobody should have any sympathy for a driver caught speeding there.......

* I remember having this conversation with SY Police, and they said you were supposed to see all speed limit signs then hold that speed limit in your mind till you see different one. Not that easy to do when you don`t know the road, you might be trying to navigate to somewhere and you`ve got cars climbing all over the back of you as you do 30 and it looks like a 40 road.

Edited by Justin Smith

People have explain speed limit repeaters to you many times.

As for painting yellow, if the camera is there to reduce people speeding for safety reasons on specific sections of roads where people are regularly killed by speeding motorists, then they should be painted yellow. Shouldn't they? There are generally signs around to say it is there.

Painting them in high vis helps people spot them and reduces people doing an emergancy stop right next to one because they've clocked it too late.

Annoying when it's dry, but if it's wet, icy or snowy then it can be dangerous.

People don't have to be speeding either, I'm sure everyone has seen someone brake for a speed camera even though they were perfectly within the speed limit already.

Part of why people speed is selfishness.

I need to get to work. I want to get the shopping done and if I put my foot down I can be back for Match of the Day. I'm going to impress the lads I'm giving a lift to. I'm late for the hairdressers, etc.

I try and drive at the speed limits but if you do very soon you are going to have some impatient sod driving six inches off your boot.

Part of why people speed is selfishness.

I need to get to work. I want to get the shopping done and if I put my foot down I can be back for Match of the Day. I'm going to impress the lads I'm giving a lift to. I'm late for the hairdressers, etc.

I try and drive at the speed limits but if you do very soon you are going to have some impatient sod driving six inches off your boot.

To balance that, speed limits are entirely arbitrary and in many cases have been lowered with no justification in the recent past.

For example the A57 towards the snake pass on the Sheffield side of the boundary had the limit lowered despite the council commissioned report on the issue saying that there were no reasons to reduce the limit.