Why do so many people still speed when driving?

On the flipside - following a pair of chatty ladies doing 30 miles an hour on Derbyshire roads where the limit is 50 is also no fun. I am all for the introduction of a 5-year re-test and a much, much better initial driver training becoming mandatory for everybody.

Id agree with you. Last week I followed an old bloke on a 60mph road and he was doing slightly over 30mph. Got to a 50mph bit and he did 60!

Or those that do 40 in a 50 zone and then stay at 40 when it turns into a 30 zone!

You've driven on the A67 then?

I've just got back from spending several weeks driving round the USA, where state speed limits are generally much lower. I was very surprised that New Hampshire allowed 70 mph on the freeway. Generally it's limited at 65 or even lower 50-55 mph for dual carriageway freeways and 40-50 mph on single carrange way interstate wit . In several weeks I saw only 2 cars significantly speeding (by which I mean over 10-15% above the posted limit). I would say they obey the limits pretty well, no crazy risky overtakes.

I still can't figure out why. They seem to be pretty terrible drivers on the whole, no idea of car widths, can't park, struggle with cornering, hills etc. Maybe the answer is our roads are too safe and the training is too good and people get over confident. I was really surprised that Vermont has signs saying '65 people killed on Vermont roads this year'. I thought wow, that's low. Then I checked the population of Vermont.

If you fell off it wouldn't.

Probably would chafe a bit :) I never did though I had to sell her as she way was too fast for my self control :hihi:

I've just got back from spending several weeks driving round the USA, where state speed limits are generally much lower. I was very surprised that New Hampshire allowed 70 mph on the freeway. Generally it's limited at 65 or even lower 50-55 mph for dual carriageway freeways and 40-50 mph on single carrange way interstate wit . In several weeks I saw only 2 cars significantly speeding (by which I mean over 10-15% above the posted limit). I would say they obey the limits pretty well, no crazy risky overtakes.

I still can't figure out why. They seem to be pretty terrible drivers on the whole, no idea of car widths, can't park, struggle with cornering, hills etc. Maybe the answer is our roads are too safe and the training is too good and people get over confident. I was really surprised that Vermont has signs saying '65 people killed on Vermont roads this year'. I thought wow, that's low. Then I checked the population of Vermont.

American cars in general terms are crap to drive and America also penalises for not driving to the limit.

There are cameras everywhere these days, 50mph enforcements and yet people still dive at 70mph within these zones (maybe faster)

Speed awareness course industry is booming so why do so many people think they won't get caught?

I got done about 4 years ago, I used to drive based on the road conditions that I saw in front of me.

Now I look at my speedometer when driving and I always seem to have an aggressive person driving 2 inches from my bumper (which never used to happen)

Are these speed cameras not switched on or something?

How can people still get away with speeding these days?

No one knows, thats why is sensible to slow down to the speed limit when approaching on of these cash collectors, then speed up again once past it.

No one knows, thats why is sensible to slow down to the speed limit when approaching on of these cash collectors, then speed up again once past it.

If you`re selfish and anti social, obviously.

If you`re selfish and anti social, obviously.

You never drive over the speed limit then ?

The roads need more cash collectors, but a fixed penalty hits poor people the hardest.

Surely someone can make a cash collector that works by recognizing when a person is using a mobile phone, or with a light out or not on at all.

Surely driving at 6pm without lights is dangerous, see them all the time.

I don't know, but I do get fed up of being pushed when I am driving at the speed limit of the road.

Same here..it hacks them big time

The roads need more cash collectors, but a fixed penalty hits poor people the hardest.

Surely someone can make a cash collector that works by recognizing when a person is using a mobile phone, or with a light out or not on at all.

Surely driving at 6pm without lights is dangerous, see them all the time.

You see exactly the same with cyclists . Or are they above criticism ?

You see exactly the same with cyclists . Or are they above criticism ?

Motorists out number cyclists by more than 50/1, so its easier to get the motorist.

Why are you picking on the minority ;)