Why do so many people still speed when driving?

It is a behavioural thing and eventually it will sink in just like 20 mph areas, just have to put up with the morons and let them pass when it's safe, there are lots of websites you can report registrations to for speeding parking etc

Are there similar websites for idiots not indicating when turning in front of traffic, or driving the wrong way on one way, or blocking yellow hatched areas ?

I followed yummy mummy home yesterday with little Brunhilda in the back, not an issue we were doing 28-29 in a 30 BUT she was weaving side to side,cut off a corner on the apex and then went so far into the next bend she nearly went up the curb.

Then it as she turned right in front of me, i observed she was eating a sarnie and feeding Brunhilda in the rear car seat at intermittent intervals.

Now that's dangerous and stupid driving , not driving at 33mph in a 30.

I have a MX5 Mk1 and I'll not tell you what the end-of-speedo (140 mph) feels like, because even though it was over a decade ago (and only the once, once was enough), I'm still too scared to even try to remember it (cosmetic bits fell flew off, put it that way)...damn, but that Lotus Elise was fast! :hihi:

On Dutch plates, and -get that- in metallic orange! (wasn't you Tim, was it? Having an 'explanation' with a green UK plated MX5 in Belgium? ;))

Autobahn, 220 km/h (however many mph that is) in our 850 T5R, only thing that made me feel unsafe was the idiot Dutch drivers with astra's. I did do 180 in Belgium on a regular basis, especially once my cousin (who is Belgian) told me that they don't care as most Belgians see their motorways as Autobahn's, including the police.

But about that Elise, and I am not making this up, we stayed in a cottage in Scotland and had dinner at a local restaurant, outside was an orange Elise with Dutch plates, got to talk to the driver (excellent fella) and his hobby was driving that thing all over Europe. He also confided to... not always being too observant of the speed limit. Could well be the same guy! We saw him in April/May.

Perhaps the passenger is a fragile 90 year old lady who needs a gentle ride. When the speed limit is 50 mph it is a limit not a compulsory speed!

Yeah, I could understand that, fact was, once I overtook them I had a clear view in my rear view mirror, two ladies of middling age, driver looking more at her passenger (and frequently crossing the central stripes and erratic braking in corners once she realised it wasn't a straight road in the 2 seconds per minute she looked up.

It might not be compulsory, but when you are getting from A to B for work, with a tight window to make it to the next meeting it is bloody annoying to be stuck behind people like that. Just pay attention to the damned road is all I ask for.

Impatience.

I got caught speeding for the first time last week. I was doing 60 MPH on Hanover Way at 4 AM.

I got let off with a warning (thank you officer), but I know I'll speed again at some point in the future... Though definitely not by more than 10 MPH.

Perhaps the passenger is a fragile 90 year old lady who needs a gentle ride. When the speed limit is 50 mph it is a limit not a compulsory speed!

If you didn't drive close to the speed limit on you're driving test you would fail for not progressing, happened to a friend of mine on his bike test.

New MX5 or 124?
Neither. MX5 Mk1. Then, and still now.

And FIAT? Owned one, once. Never again. Same with Lancia (although I had 2 of those, admittedly).

As for the new 124, even if it's just a Mk4 MX5 in gladrags...guaranteed the Italians will have managed to f*** something up in the electrics :hihi:

But about that Elise, and I am not making this up, we stayed in a cottage in Scotland and had dinner at a local restaurant, outside was an orange Elise with Dutch plates, got to talk to the driver (excellent fella) and his hobby was driving that thing all over Europe. He also confided to... not always being too observant of the speed limit. Could well be the same guy! We saw him in April/May.
I'm talking 2001 or 2002 (IIRC) ;)

If limits have been in place for so long how come manufacturers are still allowed to produce cars that go well beyond the motorway speed limit.

If limits have been in place for so long how come manufacturers are still allowed to produce cars that go well beyond the motorway speed limit.
Because not all markets in which their cars are marketed and sold have such limits in place :)

I have a MX5 Mk1 and I'll not tell you what the end-of-speedo (140 mph) feels like, because even though it was over a decade ago (and only the once, once was enough), I'm still too scared to even try to remember it (cosmetic bits fell flew off, put it that way)...damn, but that Lotus Elise was fast! :hihi:

On Dutch plates, and -get that- in metallic orange! (wasn't you Tim, was it? Having an 'explanation' with a green UK plated MX5 in Belgium? ;))

I havnt a clue what that is, but I guess its a sports car.

I think that they should be given a speeding ticket, just because they glamourise speed ;) Especially a Subaru, why would a normal motorist buy a Subaru?

This

It's low, only has two seats, doesn't have 5 doors and looks different to econoboxes so yes, I suppose it is a 'sports car'...even though, in terms of outright speed and acceleration, it's leagues under 'performance' cars (in fact, I'd even say under most modern small/medium cars with small supercharged or turbo'd 1.4/1.6 engines).

And is 18 years old, last I checked the V5.

I think that they should be given a speeding ticket, just because they glamourise speed ;)
Green eyes, much? ;)

Especially a Subaru, why would a normal motorist buy a Subaru?
I've had 3.

Merc aside, best cars I've ever had. For reliability, practicality, safety, handling and driving pleasure. The only thing about them I don't miss is the mpg.

Ask yourself why most doctors, vets and similar "out in the sticks" drive them. Not exactly your average speed freak, are they?

Edited by L00b

I think that they should be given a speeding ticket, just because they glamourise speed ;) Especially a Subaru, why would a normal motorist buy a Subaru?

Quite simple - exactly the same reason that anyone else who can chooses to buy a performance car.

1. A Subaru would get up to 60mph in less than half the time of some Dedrie pootling along in their Dacia Sandero.

2. I would feel a hell of a lot more confident getting out of junctions and completing overtaking manoeuvres than I would in something with less performance and a smaller engine.

3. A Subaru would also come with a damn sight more kit (including safety features) than many other cars.

4. Becuase they can.

You could buy a shirt from Primark and a shirt from Ermenegildo Zegna. On paper they both do exactly the same thing. Some may even argue that from a distance they both look exactly the same. Doesn't stop those who can afford it from buying their luxury goods does it. Quality, performance and specification is what matters.

Why is there always such drive for the lowest common denominator all the time. Some people drive slow so we should all be compelled to drive slow. Some people have entry level cars so we should all have them. Its pathetic.

IMO, not maintaining progression should be penalised just as much as speeding. If people are not confident maintaining a speed then they should be retested as to whether they shoud be driving at all.

As to the OP of why people speed, well speaking for myself, im busy. I have places to go and a schedule which is usually tighter than Tom Daleys speedos. Traffic is getting worse and therefore on the rare occasion that I hit a suitable patch on a suitable road (such as Penistone Road or Sheffield Parkway) they can nuts if they think I am going to crawl along at 30mph or 50mph just because some pen pusher says that what the limit should be. The former is a wide dual carraigeway and part of the city main ring road. There is absolutely no reason why its got 10mph knocked off its speed limit. As for the parkway, again this is a wide purpose built dual carraigeway with little junctions or cross overs. There is absoultely no reason why the perfectly acceptable NSL which starts at the motorway end should be suddenly reduced by 20mph for the remainder - the only time a limit should be lowered is when and only when the lights start to appear for the split carrageways and city centre junctions - until then let people get on with it (worked example - see Chesterfield bypass).

Ultimately I choose to take the risk and if I get caught I can only blame myself for any punishment I receive

Edited by ECCOnoob

Green eyes, much? ;)

I've had 3.

I am an old ultra-practical person, cannot see the point. Altho I was young once ;)

I am an old ultra-practical person, cannot see the point. Altho I was young once ;)
Ah, that might explain it. I'm never getting old :D