The Riseing cost of Funeral.

I have recently started a bit of research because I want to leave my body to medical science. After I'm dead they can do whatever they wish with it. I want no fuss etc and certainly don't want a funeral director making a huge profit out of my death. :thumbsup:

I did the same. Sheffield University has a cadaver unit where you can sign up but as someone has already stated they will only take cadavers that are still whole and have not had any autopsy. The reason I have opted for a direct funeral instead as there is no guarantee that they will take the body and it costs around a grand.

I was thinking about leaving my body to science too as I don't have kids so chances are I'd get a paupers burial anyway.

As for costs, I attended one funeral last year that Michael Fogg did and it cost £1500...top notch service. I then attended a funeral done by another local director...that cost about £3000 and it was terrible!

I was thinking about leaving my body to science too as I don't have kids so chances are I'd get a paupers burial anyway.

As for costs, I attended one funeral last year that Michael Fogg did and it cost £1500...top notch service. I then attended a funeral done by another local director...that cost about £3000 and it was terrible!

It annoys me when I see the TV adverts saying it cost nearly £7000 etc. It all depends whether a cremation or a burial, how many cars you want along with the hearse and where you are going for the wake. There are plenty of things to factor into the cost of a funeral.

It annoys me when I see the TV adverts saying it cost nearly £7000 etc. It all depends whether a cremation or a burial, how many cars you want along with the hearse and where you are going for the wake. There are plenty of things to factor into the cost of a funeral.

People are upset and distraught already without the cost of funerals and paperwork. It seems like there is an industry, aided and abetted by councils and govt that just want to fleece relatives for everything they've got.

People are upset and distraught already without the cost of funerals and paperwork. It seems like there is an industry, aided and abetted by councils and govt that just want to fleece relatives for everything they've got.

Yes, and as has been pointed out there is no need to spend all the money they mention in those adverts for a funeral.

But those same upset and distraught people also want their loved one to be 'looked after' by those who know what they are doing. Everyone should have a funeral plan - then your family don't have the worry of what to do and what you 'would have wanted'.

It's perfectly possible to arrange a funeral for far less than £7000 !

But burial plots are only leased out for about 40 years. Then you have to renew the lease, otherwise somebody else claims the plot.

This is an option.

Bodies in the garden.

"The free funeral One way of conducting a free funeral is burial at home, if you are willing to dig and wrap the body in nothing more than a blanket. You must own the land outright – it cannot be mortgaged – and an amendment needs to be added to property deeds. You don't need to inform your local authority, but there are guidelines about how not to contaminate ground water. Best get in touch with the *Natural Death Centre to find out how it's done".

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...w-cost-options

Edited by poppet2

But burial plots are only leased out for about 40 years. Then you have to renew the lease, otherwise somebody else claims the plot.

This is an option.

Bodies in the garden.

"The free funeral One way of conducting a free funeral is burial at home, if you are willing to dig and wrap the body in nothing more than a blanket. You must own the land outright – it cannot be mortgaged – and an amendment needs to be added to property deeds. You don't need to inform your local authority, but there are guidelines about how not to contaminate ground water. Best get in touch with the *Natural Death Centre to find out how it's done".

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...w-cost-options

... which probably won't help when coming to sell!