Why did The Labour Party choose Jeremy Corbyn as leader?

I was reading a survey in The Times regarding the opinion of Labour Party members.

They were asked to rate the performance of the 2 main party leaders. Almost twice as many Labour Party members though Cameron was doing a good job as Prime Minister as thought Corbyn was doing well as Labour leader. More thought Corbyn was doing a bad job than thought Cameron was doing a bad job.

When asked about the chance of Corbyn ever becoming Prime Minister two thirds thought it unlikely. Only 14% thought it likely.

These are the folk who voted for him as their party leader. Why????

Because the alternative was one of Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall.

---------- Post added 25-11-2015 at 12:52 ----------

I heard different. That the party membership was in favour of Corbyn while the MP's where not. This would support the argument that for a many years Labour has not represented its membership.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head I'm afraid. And it's a major factor in the open civil war currently engulfing Labour.

I wonder how free and fair the vote really was though, you had all the Tory boys signing up to stick a vote down because they thought Corbyn was a mug.

Then you had all the union goons telling their members who they should vote for.

No-one was forced anyway, but it seems like maybe Labour got the leader they deserved??

Not wrong but the numbers would not affect the outcome. 3,200 people were excluded for not supporting Labour party aims, among them 400 Tories and 1,900 Greens.

So your assertion that "you had all the Tory boys" should be, there was a few tories and a larger number of Greens who tried to vote.

When asked who they would vote for if an election was held tomorrow, 35% said Labour and 37% said Conservative.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyns-poll-numbers-are-actually-much-better-than-ed-milibands-a6746306.html

Read the actual data instead of the headline and you see your comment is misleading and incorrect. The stats you have quoted are not accurate according to Ipsos-Mori, the people who carried out the poll.

The Headline voting intention is the most accurate which has the results of Labour 34% and Conservative 41%.

What you need to look at is support within the parties. Cameron has an 80% satisfaction rate amongst conservative supporters. Corbyn has a 37% satisfaction rate within his supporters. Thats pretty bad and goes against what I heard on the radio yesterday.

Edited by Berberis

well...he has just forced Osborne into a U turn...well done JC....

Good on him. Its not a sign of weakness to listen to other peoples opinion or their experience. I much prefer a government willing to listen rather then one that go ahead with plans despite such a large opposition. Better he do this now rather then try to concoct some kind of work around just to save face. Remember the 10p Tax rate issue with Brown?