Ant-gentrification protest at the Cereal Killer cafe

This is quite shocking really. A niche shop in London targeted by a mob of 200 protesters

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/anti-gentrification-protesters-attack-cereal-killer-cafe-with-paint-a6668886.html

I don't agree with the protest but are things a little bit out of hand when a bowl of cereal and a coffee costs £5?

But it's "rare, imported" cereal.

Seriously it is sad that this is what London has come to. A once great city turned into a playground for geeks with rich parents.

This is quite shocking really. A niche shop in London targeted by a mob of 200 protesters

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/anti-gentrification-protesters-attack-cereal-killer-cafe-with-paint-a6668886.html

I don't agree with the protest but are things a little bit out of hand when a bowl of cereal and a coffee costs £5?

I think this shop is the lightning conductor for changes happening in this country. Many people are being driven out of the capital and in other cities in the country because of cost or decisions by authorities. I forget the name of the protest that Russell Brand publicised, but a private company wanted to take over a small social housing estate, that would of hiked the rents & meant that people who had lived there for years couldn't have afforded to.

Personally I have no problem with the café, if people want to pay inflated prices for a bowl of cereal then that's their choice. Much like people paying £20 for bangers & mash or beans on toast - it's their money they're free to do what they want.

---------- Post added 27-09-2015 at 14:23 ----------

Seriously it is sad that this is what London has come to. A once great city turned into a playground for geeks with rich parents.

I understand that hipsters with yuppie parents are never going to be flavour of the month with many people - but that's the free market for you. If the fashion is for pop up shops catering to niche tastes, and there are people willing to part with money for them, then someone is going to be there to supply it & make a profit.

Edited by Mister M

It looks like the individuals in that group have more in common with Anarchists than they do protesters.

I don't agree with £5 cereals,but some people obviously do or they would be bankrupt very quickly:hihi:.

I hope the offenders get caught,and are treated to some serious porridge.:hihi:(is that tumbleweed I hear :rolleyes:)

They are clearly the sort of hipster everyone loves to hate but they don't deserve this sort of protest. They deserve to be ridiculed (as do their customers) and if it says so the market will let it fail. But it's shoreditch - it may survive. It probably says more about shoreditch really.

So some decent shopkeeper is trying to earn a living and then some communists start rioting wanting to burn the place down as they see it as gentrification. Do they not want a nice area with nice things?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/shoreditch-cereal-killer-caf%C3%A9-targeted-by-anti-gentrification-protesters/ar-AAeQ8ru?li=AA9SkIr&ocid=mailsignoutmd

---------- Post added 27-09-2015 at 17:17 ----------

If they didnt buy that shop then it would be another derelict building. At least give them the opportunity to try to earn a living and boos the area rather than let it go to rack and ruin.

Yes the cereal is expensive. So if the price is wrong they will lose business and it will fold. We dont need the burning torch brigade who dont want nice things to ruin it.

Remember when a burger cost a couple of quid? Now you're talking a tenner for the most basic with hand cut wedge chips and a focacia bun.

I have no complaints, if people have the money and want to spend it then fill your boots, as long as there is the alternative for those who just want a bog standard burger in a bun for a couple of quid

You can't even get pie and mash with liquor, or jellied eels in Shoreditch anymore. London is being ruined by the Guardian types and all in the name of "diversity". It makes me sick to my stomach.

You can't even get pie and mash with liquor, or jellied eels in Shoreditch anymore. London is being ruined by the Guardian types and all in the name of "diversity". It makes me sick to my stomach.

Fail. Yes you can.

Remember when a burger cost a couple of quid? Now you're talking a tenner for the most basic with hand cut wedge chips and a focacia bun.

I have no complaints, if people have the money and want to spend it then fill your boots, as long as there is the alternative for those who just want a bog standard burger in a bun for a couple of quid

Serious question: Does this not leave a gap in the market for something cheaper for those who want / need it? Are these completely absent?

What does Macdonald's charge for a burger in London? (Not that I'm recommending them...)

Serious question: Does this not leave a gap in the market for something cheaper for those who want / need it? Are these completely absent?

What does Macdonald's charge for a burger in London? (Not that I'm recommending them...)

Same as crystal peaks as far as I know.