Ant-gentrification protest at the Cereal Killer cafe

Still can't get my head around why they targeted that business.

it's because it's a good business. That's why they don't like it. They are jealous like almost all so-called 'class warriors' and rioters are jealous. They don't know how to do anything like start up a successful little small business like that amd they wouldn't know where to start. And it's not a multi national or anything but independently conceived by two ordinary blokes from Belfast.

the cafe seems genuinely original and popular and no it is not expensive. Somebody can come in. have a novel little feed that you can't get in any other place, even in London, interact with the staff and other customers, and go on the wifi for an hour - all for about a fiver. They have hit on a good mix. What upset the protesters is the queues outside the door, queues that would never turn up to anything they the protesters have to offer anybody, even if it was free.

Edited by blake

So maybe we can conclude the muffin and the coffee only forms a small part of Costa Coffee's overheads?

Maybe we can, yes.

Then it comes down to whether you are paying for a quality product or some kind of 'experience'. If its the comfy sofas and the ambience you're after then by all means pay for it.

Anyone remember what Shoreditch was like about 20 years ago? It was a dump. I remember Brick Lane as being famous for a curry and being pickpocketed. Overflowing bins, empty shops and derelict buildings with terrible traffic all rounded off with a faint feeling of unease.

Amongst all this were the seeds of what you now class as gentrification; budding art galleries, pre-hipster hipster cafes and so on. All there because it was cheap and the Guardianistas were encouraging the trendy vibe - come and see art in a vibrant multicultural setting, have a coffee or experience an authentic working class London curry, or a bagel from 'that famous bagel shop', the name of which has long since escaped me and probably isn't there anymore.

I didn't see anyone protesting on the streets back then, when shop and housing landlords were making a killing on the new trendy monied types coming into the area, when existing businesses were getting more customers due to higher footfall, when London PLC was actually bothering to start cleaning the place up.

it's because it's a good business. That's why they don't like it. They are jealous likr almost all so-called 'class warriors' and rioters are jealous. They don't know how to do anything like start up a successful little small business like that amd they wouldn't know where to start. And it's not a multi national or anything but independently conceived by two ordinary blokes from Belfast.

the cafe seems genuinely original and popular and no it is not expensive. Somebody can come in. have a novel little feed that you can't get in any other place, even in London, interact with the staff and other customers, and go on the wifi for an hour - all for about a fiver. They have hit on a good mix. What upset the protesters is the queues outside the door, queues that would never turn up to anything they the protesters have to offer anybody, even if it was free.

No, I don't think they are jealous for one second. They simply made a terrible and bizarre choice about their target.

If I was going to protest down there Is be at the estate agents and mortgage brokers, not at a small business where kids are eating out

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 20:48 ----------

Anyone remember what Shoreditch was like about 20 years ago? It was a dump. I remember Brick Lane as being famous for a curry and being pickpocketed. Overflowing bins, empty shops and derelict buildings with terrible traffic all rounded off with a faint feeling of unease.

Amongst all this were the seeds of what you now class as gentrification; budding art galleries, pre-hipster hipster cafes and so on. All there because it was cheap and the Guardianistas were encouraging the trendy vibe - come and see art in a vibrant multicultural setting, have a coffee or experience an authentic working class London curry, or a bagel from 'that famous bagel shop', the name of which has long since escaped me and probably isn't there anymore.

I didn't see anyone protesting on the streets back then, when shop and housing landlords were making a killing on the new trendy monied types coming into the area, when existing businesses were getting more customers due to higher footfall, when London PLC was actually bothering to start cleaning the place up.

Because back then it was still a living working street with traditional businesses that everybody used. It was an uneasy and edgy balance of the new and the old. It was London at its most exciting I guess.

Now it's formulaic, theme park-like almost. Odd.

No, I don't think they are jealous for one second. They simply made a terrible and bizarre choice about their target.

this remark implies that you think it is perfectly OK for these numbskulls to trash Mcdonald's restaurants and Starbucks, rather than little London cafes like this one, owned by two ordinary Irish blokes.

they don't like it because to them, a bunch of people rather bizzaarely queuing up to pay money to eat little bowls of cereal, seems to them like fetishism, which Karl Marx warned them against, even though fetishism is exactly what they are practising themselves - except nobody wants to buy, their brand of fetishism. Of course they are jealous.

Edited by blake

this remark implies that you think it is perfectly OK for these numbskulls to trash Mcdonald's restaurants and Starbucks, rather than little London cafes like this one, owned by two ordinary Irish blokes.

they don't like it because to them, a bunch of people rather bizzaarely queuing up to pay money to eat little bowls of cereal, seems to them like fetishism, which Karl Marx warned them against, even though fetishism is exactly what they are practising themselves - except nobody wants to buy, their brand of fetishism. Of course they are jealous.

No it doesn't. Quote the rest of my post in future.

This bit for example:

'If I was going to protest down there Is be at the estate agents and mortgage brokers, not at a small business where kids are eating out'

Your post was utterly weird by the way :)

Locations rise and fall all the time. It's not like places such as Shoreditch was 20 years ago no longer exist in London. Most of its a right dump.

Just really childish and stupid picking on those Hipsters and their daft cereal shop.

'

Your post was utterly weird by the way :)

no it isn't. These days, self-proclaimed Marxists like them are just about the craziest fetishists in a capitalist society of all. Just as weird, or maybe even weirder, than some bimbo fetishist at a pet 'bereavement counselling' shop in LA.

What are they doing - coming round with baseball bats and forcing you to sell up at low prices?

Of course not - don't be so silly. People are choosing to move out and then whining when they can't move back in. Did the fat wedge of cash you got for the house when you sold not tell you that perhaps, the cost of moving back if you wanted to was going to be a bit higher?

No it's far more fun to just have a bit of a riot and whine when things don't go your way. Story of the left that...

Please do not lie and make silly insinuations and believe media spin about Londoners from ex-social housing accommodation now all living it large.

Yes we was forced out by thugs. We was living in a Southern Guinness Counties housing association property, the (small print) tenancies meant they, nor the council had to re home us. Private rents are too high so we like many thousands of other working class Londoners have been socially cleansed out our homes and city.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 02:32 ----------

Seriously it is sad that this is what London has come to. A once great city turned into a playground for geeks with rich parents.

Spot on, the estae where I grew up is mostly full of people like these.... :(

Fail. No you can't.

Yes you can. You are incontravertibly wrong.

Is anyone else a little disappointed that the thread isn't about ants being gentrified?

Sounds like another species of wildlife from up Alc's end of town :lol:

I am a little puzzled as to why people want an area to stay rundown and unloved instead of being improved.If people want to spend their money renovating an area and bringing new life to it then why is this a bad thing.Stocksbridge is having a new shopping and leisure village built which I will be glad to see instead of the rundown shops that we have at the moment.I haven't seen anybody protesting about it in Stocksbridge,i think most of us are looking forward to getting more upmarket shops.I appreciate that there are a lot of people who cannot afford to pay £2.50 for a coffee or £4.00 for a toastie but there are a lot of people who do want to.We can surely not have segregated areas with signs saying poor people this side wealthier people the other side.Thats even more demeaning and offensive to the less well off.