"Police under pressure" bbc tv 9pm 23/6/14

........(1) What would be the point in employing more cops if they're of the standard of those on last nights programme?

How many times did we hear "we can't do anything" last night and on here and Radio Sheff re Abbeydale Rd?

It's toe curling and embarrassing to hear it.

(2)There's plenty of legislation to deal with these issues, but it would seem that the current cops don't have the intelligence or capability to implement said laws.

(3)What kind of message does the attitude mentioned give to the wrong doer other than carry on regardless?

(4) Makes you fear for the future.

My points in brackets 1-4

(1) The standard of the cop's (as you put it) is a reflection of what is practical in the circumstances and prevalent at the time. Offences committed, numbers of Police present, backup and camera crews all effected the way the Officers dealt with the problem. Over and above these "said laws" (which laws are you thinking of?) are one thing but the ability to enforce any law is dependent upon the ability to arrest and process without getting your head kicked in AND not starting a sequence of events that leads to massive law breaking i.e. losing the offender and/or a riot.

(2) They have a good deal of intelligence, and courage, to try to do the job in the face of these odds. They do not have the capability, support and back up, to do the job.

(3) The message to the wrong do'er is to fill the streets and overwhelm the Police.

(4) I do fear for the Police and most of all for the communities.

Finally, whilst the harassed Inspectors people on the ground are overwhelmed. Where is the dynamic, achievable, direction that should be given by the senior people. If they cannot achieve what we all want, then they should tell the Public what they can achieve and then achieve it!

If it is there the BBC should show it.

If it isn't, why not?

Enough questions - What are your answers?

Edited by Flanker7

I would rather have the Romas and the slight annoyances they come with than that bunch of scroats from the cross to deal with any day.

I live in Shirecliffe myself and I will say that the youths around here are ok and in the 9 years I have been here I hav'nt encountered any plastic gangster type wannabes yet. :hihi:

One of the most ludicrous pieces of rubbish I have ever read, I suggest you offer a house swap with someone in Page Hall and live amongst the slightly annoying Roma's. :loopy:

One of the most ludicrous pieces of rubbish I have ever read, I suggest you offer a house swap with someone in Page Hall and live amongst the slightly annoying Roma's. :loopy:

I'm from page hall originally and my parents still live there who I visit everyday so I know the situation and I have experience of the issues down page hall.

The point I was making is the Roma don't go around abusing the police, they don't go round racially abusing innocent people either.

I can guarantee firth park then shiregreen will become like page hall in the future, history repeats itself I already see shiregreen starting to be colonized A little like how it started in firth park 17 years ago and look at it now.

is there alot of asian owned houses in Shiregreen then?

Watched the program on BBC2, was most disappointed with the way the Police were handling the situation being an ex copper in my day 50s, 60s, etc, if someone was creating a bother like the populace of Page Hall and Parson Cross seem to be doing, they would have been taken into custody, charged with an offence and appear at court probably the next day, in my day justice was swift, and fast no exceptions and somehow it worked.

I have nice house, I HAVE BENEFITS! I have as many kids that come along.I like to stay out late, cause trouble and use the street as tips. Bonafide Slovak

---------- Post added 24-06-2014 at 19:45 ----------

You forgot to mention the swift kicking in the back of the van and probably before and then back at the cells THAT DID THE MOST GOOD!

The other difference is that in the 50's and 60's if the Police had stopped someone for doing something and taken them home, not even arrested them, the Father waiting at home would have given a 'clip round the ear' (or worse) for getting into trouble with the Police. Not suggesting violence is good but I wonder what would happen if the Police took some of the kids off Parsons Cross that were on last night's show back to their home???

Easy for you to say but my dad lived a happy life in Heeley often watching the birds on his back garden because he couldn't leave his bedroom until two green minorettes appeared in his view. He said it was an eyesore he just couldn't take any more and quickly became sick and died.:mad

I am sorry that your Dad has died. However, I really think linking his failing health to the Mosque is stretching the truth.