Real Ale and the World Cup - A match made in heaven!

The World Cup is almost upon us, and with it comes the age old quandary for those of us whose love of a decent pint of ale is matched only by their joy at a David Platt like volley into the Belgian net: Which is the best pub to cheer the boys to victory in? Now I know this is a highly subjective question so, to clarify, I’ll list my favourite Sheffield pubs and if anyone thinks they’ll be showing the games please share the good news:

Shakespeares

Riverside

Barrack

Gardeners Rest

Sheaf View

Hallamshire

Closed Shop

Rutland

Greystones

Any other suggestions gratefully received

No sports bars or Carlsberg sellers please (those ads don’t fool nobody!)

Edited by arthurseaton
football legend surname memory error

A fair portion of those pubs don't have TV's, plus a fair few of the games have very late kick off times.

Think you are best checking with the individual pubs.

In town I'd go for the Beehive on West Street or the Red Lion on Charles Street.

The World Cup is almost upon us, and with it comes the age old quandary for those of us whose love of a decent pint of ale is matched only by their joy at a David Pleat like volley into the Belgian net: Which is the best pub to cheer the boys to victory in? Now I know this is a highly subjective question so, to clarify, I’ll list my favourite Sheffield pubs and if anyone thinks they’ll be showing the games please share the good news:

Shakespeares

Riverside

Barrack

Gardeners Rest

Sheaf View

Hallamshire

Closed Shop

Rutland

Greystones

Any other suggestions gratefully received

No sports bars or Carlsberg sellers please (those ads don’t fool nobody!)

Of those pubs I'd say the Closed Shop is the most likely to be showing world cup football.

Red Lion on Charles Street is your best bet.

Last World Cup we piled into the Riverside with about a million other people for the USA game.

Regards

Doom

The World Cup is almost upon us, and with it comes the age old quandary for those of us whose love of a decent pint of ale is matched only by their joy at a David Pleat like volley into the Belgian net:

I can't imagine David Pleat ever volleying into a net, not even an empty one from 3 yards out. Platt I think you mean. What a goal that was.

AFAIK at least Shakespeare's, Sheaf, Gardeners from that list are bereft of televisual equipment (thankfully!)

AFAIK at least Shakespeare's, Sheaf, Gardeners from that list are bereft of televisual equipment (thankfully!)

Why thankfully? There are many of us who like both real ale and watching football on TV. Why do so many pubs think we either want one or the other?

I can't imagine David Pleat ever volleying into a net, not even an empty one from 3 yards out. Platt I think you mean. What a goal that was.

Well spotted! I now have the bizarre image of a middle aged man in a beige suit somersaulting through the air to score a World Cup wondergoal!!

As for some of these pubs not having TV's, I totally agree, a truly great pub shouldn't have one but this is the World Cup and I want to watch it in a truly great pub!! (kind of the point of the thread actually)

Why thankfully? There are many of us who like both real ale and watching football on TV. Why do so many pubs think we either want one or the other?

thankfully cos I like to enjoy my beer in peace! I fully realise some people like both real ale and football, but equally many of use like decent beer (which may or may not be real ale) and like to enjoy it without hearing a couple of dozen people shouting at a telly... ergo, I am thankful that my favourite pubs do not have TVs

The world cup is fantastic because it means football is on the telly and everyone can see it. Just like the FA cup final used to be (and still is, just about). Really special and everyone watches it - even people that aren't massive football fans.

Because it's not on subscription TV via Sky/BT/Setanta/Disney/Coca-Cola football belongs to all of us again, just like proper pubs do. Jumpers for goalposts and pints of creamy ale all round.