Man on trial in US courtroom shot and killed

I've been on this fantastic Continent for 46 years and I still don't know everything about it. So I have to turn on SF to learn from people who never came here or spent a whole fortnight at Disneyworld. Enjoy your Mickey Dees folks:)

You didn't come from there..and it shows, even after 46 years. Keep popping in here though, you might benefit from it if you can put your Infantilism aside.

You,as well as all the usual suspects, forget that I came from Brightside, making some of my memories other than perfect. I finally made it to Greenhill before leaving on a 707 for pastures new, where I was accepted for my skills and not my accent. I was never a fan of Henderson Relish, black pudding, or Yorkshire pudding made by anyone other than my mother. I tolerated the Wednesday and hated United for no other reason than you had to be for one or t'other if you were from Sheffield. I've been on this fantastic Continent for 46 years and I still don't know everything about it. So I have to turn on SF to learn from people who never came here or spent a whole fortnight at Disneyworld. Enjoy your Mickey Dees folks:)

What has any of that got to do with people discussing the thread title?

For a country that likes to throw the word "freedom" about,you don't like outsiders using too much of it lol.

If you are looking for all things Sheffield,there is a Sheffield section.

But from the sound of your post,you don't have much of a fondness for Sheffield anyway,so why bother?:rolleyes:

What has any of that got to do with people discussing the thread title?

For a country that likes to throw the word "freedom" about,you don't like outsiders using too much of it lol.

If you are looking for all things Sheffield,there is a Sheffield section.

But from the sound of your post,you don't have much of a fondness for Sheffield anyway,so why bother?:rolleyes:

sfa. Buck repeats this add infinitum whenever he drops one..his intention is to bore you off the thread.

What's the answer then. Remove all pens from courtrooms? I hope criminals over here don't realise we have pens in our courtrooms too, otherwise we are done for!

If there weren't any pens then they couldn't make bullet points!

If there weren't any pens then they couldn't make bullet points!

Ah, clever girl. I got that one!

Had this happened around 65 years ago a tragedy could have been avoided.

Ball points were unknown then. The culprit would have had to spray his intended target with a jet of ink from his fountain pen. This could have resulted in retaliation by the victim who in turn could have fired off a jet at his attacker

It might have all ended up in something like a Three Stooges scenario where everyone in court just squirting each other with ink

A very attractive young women on the same jury panel as me once asked "is that a ball point in your pocket or are you just happy to see me"?

Edited by Harleyman

I wonder why every little bit of garbage like this ends up on SF because its about them Yanks. There are 300 million of us living here, so there's bound to be a few wierdos around. I hear there are more people shot in Sheffield a year than there are in Connecticut, straight from the Sheffield Telegraph.

I'm past the point of caring. Something may seem ridiculous to someone from another country, but that's only because they may not understand why we do what we do. In this case, this guy should have been shackled and handcuffed and wasn't, because the defense felt it might "negatively impact" the jury. Of course people like the defendant are their own worst enemies. I just wish someone would explain to me how Tongan Crips have managed to infest Utah of all places.

We recently had some friends of my daughter visiting from Holland. Overall a nice group of kids, but a couple of the girls. Good grief. Let's just say they got most of their knowledge of Americans from watching TV and movies.

Ah, clever girl. I got that one!

Our cressida is a witty one. :)

Who called for the mistrial? The judge? Or the defendant's lawyer?

From an episode the Simpsons:

Lionel Hutz: I move for a 'bad court thingy'.

Judge Snyder: You mean a *mistrial?*

Lionel Hutz: Yeah! That's why you're the 'judge' and I'm the 'law talking guy'

Judge Snyder: The *lawyer?*

Lionel Hutz: Right.

Bad court thingy. :hihi:

I've never seen a Los Angeles County Sheriff deputy wearing a gun while in a court room. Most of them look as if they could deal with anyone who wanted to start trouble without using a weapon.

On the other hand the defendants I've seen look as if they just wanted to be anywhere else but where they are. Even the hard cases

Our local Social Security office has an armed guard on duty however. He sits at a table near the counters. Years back when i was arranging my Social Security benefit a young woman walked in and a few minutes later started to make a scene over something at one of the windows. I think she was two cards short of a full deck. The clerk refused to deal with her and closed her window. The guard told her to leave. She refused. next thing he's trying to force her out the door. When that failed he ended up trying to subdue her, both on the floor, he trying to get her hands behind her back ostensibly to cuff her I think. It was quite a struggle and at one time she screamed out "get the F. off me you effing N"

(using the N word). "oh dear" several people muttered. A few minutes later two police arrived one of them a young husky looking woman. She knelt down beside her and told her to get up. The woman refused and said something to her.

"if I were you I wouldnt say that again ma'am. Now get up" the woman cop replied. Meek as a lamb she got to her feet, let herself be cuffed and was led outside.

Quite a show to liven up an otherwise long tedious wait. Made my day anyway. Best entertainment in a long while :hihi: :hihi:

Edited by Harleyman

I've never seen a Los Angeles County Sheriff deputy wearing a gun while in a court room. Most of them look as if they could deal with anyone who wanted to start trouble without using a weapon.

On the other hand the defendants I've seen look as if they just wanted to be anywhere else but where they are. Even the hard cases

Our local Social Security office has an armed guard on duty however. He sits at a table near the counters. Years back when i was arranging my Social Security benefit a young woman walked in and a few minutes later started to make a scene over something at one of the windows. I think she was two cards short of a full deck. The clerk refused to deal with her and closed her window. The guard told her to leave. She refused. next thing he's trying to force her out the door. When that failed he ended up trying to subdue her, both on the floor, he trying to get her hands behind her back ostensibly to cuff her I think. It was quite a struggle and at one time she screamed out "get the F. off me you effing N"

(using the N word). "oh dear" several people muttered. A few minutes later two police arrived one of them a young husky looking woman. She knelt down beside her and told her to get up. The woman refused and said something to her.

"if I were you I wouldnt say that again ma'am. Now get up" the woman cop replied. Meek as a lamb she got to her feet, let herself be cuffed and was led outside.

Quite a show to liven up an otherwise long tedious wait. Made my day anyway. Best entertainment in a long while :hihi: :hihi:

There we have it folks. A (possibly mentally ill) woman being wrestled to the floor and subdued is, in Harleyworld, 'great entertainment.'

I'm past the point of caring. Something may seem ridiculous to someone from another country, but that's only because they may not understand why we do what we do.

It's very hard to understand why you would need to shoot someone for the henious act of being armed with a Biro....

As to why you need to do it six times, that's even harder to understand.

It sounds like justice was served. Case closed.

I think in the US they call that "the brass verdict"

It's very hard to understand why you would need to shoot someone for the henious act of being armed with a Biro....

As to why you need to do it six times, that's even harder to understand.

that's why I brought it up originally, yeah he's a violent felon, yeah he's attacking somebody with a "weapon" but 6 times? 3 while he's on the floor? surely one in the legs gonna make him easier to subdue?