Fixed penalty notice for term time holidays

my two will be of week before 6 week holidays its the only time we can afford to go if we went week later cost would be double from 450 for week to over 800 if they dont get permission then they will both be sick that week simple

I'm in that exact situation and the leave request, from 14th July (see post 156) went in this morning.

I've had a quiet word with the head last week, explaining (in friendly and courteous terms), what will happen to the LEA and her personally if we get an FPN, considering the educational merit for my daughter to spend the days watching movies and playing games whilst her teachers enjoy the Quality Streets she (we) has bought them (which 'scheduled tuition content' has already confirmed by her teacher).

We do have a very good relationship with the head (she'd make a formidable MD), so now we'll just see.

And what did you suggest would happen. Do you think you could have a court declare the legislation to be unlawful?

And what did you suggest would happen.
That's for me and the head to know about.

Do you think you could have a court declare the legislation to be unlawful?
No, but I could have a court declare the PCN to be invalid for misapplication of the legislations and the council policy, in the circumstances. With an order for my costs, since I have zero doubt about the outcome, and I have started the pre-action protocol under the CPRs with giving notice.

Why hasn't anyone repealed this ridiculous policy yet and removed Michael Gove and stuck him in a cupboard.

I've got quite a few friends who are teachers and quite a few who are parents, Gove is universally despised - not one single person has anything decent to say about him.

The man is killing the Tory reputation, they've got an election to think about and this guy is really helping Labour to win.

Why hasn't anyone repealed this ridiculous policy yet and removed Michael Gove and stuck him in a cupboard.

I've got quite a few friends who are teachers and quite a few who are parents, Gove is universally despised - not one single person has anything decent to say about him.

You could say the same thing about every other Education Secretary. I've worked with schools since 2002 and teachers have whinged about every secretary since then, and before.

@parsoncross:

if they dont get permission then they will both be sick that week simple

Presumably you expect your children to tell the truth and would chastise them if they didn't? If so, best to tell the truth - there can be no half measures. You probably already know this but young people learn by example.

my kids can tell the teachers the truth thats ok with me but at the end of the day if the teachers ask me i will tell them they was sick that week

my kids can tell the teachers the truth thats ok with me but at the end of the day if the teachers ask me i will tell them they was sick that week

And your children will know that you are lying/have lied. That's a terrible example to set.

Or perhaps you are comfortable about teaching your children to lie and be dishonest. If so, more fool you. It will come back and bite you on the bum. Probably at a police station somewhere.

This argument that you are entitled to take them out of school because the holiday will double in price after term ends is ridiculous. It is rather like arguing that you cannot afford a designer handbag, so you will steal one instead of buying it. Like lying about your child's unauthorised absence when that absence is against the law, is dishonest and illegal and I hope you would not encourage your children to think that if you cannot afford something you want, that you can be dishonest in order to get it. The point is that there will always be some things in life that we cannot afford; it's tough.

Cut your coat...and go on a £400 holiday in the school holidays.

Edited by aliceBB

And your children will know that you are lying/have lied. That's a terrible example to set.

Or perhaps you are comfortable about teaching your children to lie and be dishonest.

Everyone lies. Everyone is dishonest. No one is perfect.

It's not like you are setting a bad example by explaining to your children that sometimes people have to stand up for what they believe in.

True, but-

It's not like you are setting a bad example by explaining to your children that sometimes people have to stand up for what they believe in.
-lying is not standing up, though.

A stinky, toxic, argument and above all flawed. Just because you do not agree with a law does make breaking it 'standing up for what you believe in'. You cannot with impunity pick and choose which laws you obey.

This is Britain, not Burma.The only correct course of action is to exercise your democratic right to campaign to get the law changed. Otherwise, any criminal could argue that their theft or their trespass or their violence was justifed because they do not believe in people having private property, or they don't believe in immigrants being allowed into the country so it's OK to attack them.

Unless and until you do get the law changed, you should abide by it. Otherwise we'd have anarchy.

Edited by aliceBB